Considering buying this car as well

My gf thinks I have a problem. I'm addicted to flipping $500 cars. But.. after hours of work I create relationships and end up keeping them. All if them. Like children. Fortunately for my driveway the cheap used car market is down. Way down.

1) 104,000 miles on a 23 year old car? Yea right. I’d run a history report.
I've got a '97 (24 year old) that I bought new that currently has less than 42K original miles. During that time I've also put about 300-350K miles on other cars I own or have owned. My mom's '99 Grand Marquis (22 years old) has less than 62K miles. Running a history report on either of these cars wouldn't turn up anything since I do most of the work/maintenance on them and they seldom go to a garage for anything. 20+ year old cars with 100K miles are uncommon but there are some out there if you look.

If you solicit opinions by asking, “Should I do this?” you should not be surprised if those opinions vary.

Some will say yes, and some will say no, in response to your question.
Right.. but don't tell me I'm operating illegally. I think we are all confused on what happened here, based on what is being criticized.

It shouldn't bother me but it did.

I will try to see if there is a day I can go SEE the Nyc Blue Subie. It looks like it's a beat up on the outside, MIGHT be okay on the inside.. car.

Head gaskets are what I'd be staring at the exhaust about. I've developed a bunch of different ways to see if something isn't quite right. This also includes blipping the throttle, sometimes that hesitation can be a failing HG if it is accompanied by any abnormal steam or water out of the exhaust pattern... There is normal "The car is warming up, condensation" smoke/steam and there is "There is water being forcefully ejected out of the exhaust abnormally" steam/smoke.

I am now a bit curious about the car
But you are correct, this should be treated more as a curio than a "I have to have this car."

That helps a negotiating tactic, too.

I wonder what would happen if my first offer was $500 cash. If it passes muster.. and we negotiate.. is it better to offer 500 or 700 at first? I'm not paying more than $1000 if it is to be sold.

"RARE" Manual I would think is only thing it has FOR it, but, as mentioned.. that's the anchor around its neck?

Assiming NY is like NE, lots of salt? Undercarraige is the first place I look. No point in repairing if it doesn't have good bones.

Assiming NY is like NE, lots of salt? Undercarraige is the first place I look. No point in repairing if it doesn't have good bones.
It could be a rust-bucket.. I don't know anything about it beyond that ad

Quick update: Car may have recently been at mechanic.

This is an anonymous e-mail so should be fine.

Screenshot_20201230-080936_Chrome.jpg

And just like I said.. it has a Florida plate .

Debating if I should even look further.

20201231_135352.jpg

I think what's on the passenger floorboard told me everything I needed to know.

20201231_135719.jpg

I'll take a Florida car over a rustbelt state car in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure that FL plate is a placeholder plate; Inspection sticker seems to indicate an NJ car.

The gallon of antifreeze in the floorboard says to me, "Hey, I need to be topped off with antifreeze so guess what I have."

Back