Considering buying this car as well

1) 104,000 miles on a 23 year old car? Yea right. I’d run a history report.

2) No front tag? Probably a dealer pretending to be private.

3) How tough is your state inspection? Around here you could easily spend more than the purchase price on repairs to get it to pass.
That's a good eye, I didn't even put that together.

What is weird is that that's an NJ Inspection sticker, and the ad lists: CLEAN NJ TITLE! So it's an NJ car for sale in New York...

Its got a scrape on the side(s?) Probably got kissed by a snow plow (MrPlow where are you?) if they were even out. I think the snow stuck for a day or two in NYC.

I'm looking at other cars, I think its best to get my present one running and worst case scenario is I drive it. But let's see what's out there.

What is weird is that that's an NJ Inspection sticker, and the ad lists: CLEAN NJ TITLE! So it's an NJ car for sale in New York...
Is NJ inspection easier than NY?
Is NJ title and registration cheaper than NY?
Is NJ insurance rates lower than NY?

Just follow the money and it will lead you to the answers.

Is NJ inspection easier than NY?
Is NJ title and registration cheaper than NY?
Is NJ insurance rates lower than NY?

Just follow the money and it will lead you to the answers.
1. Is that a joke? Absolutely. Two minutes, they plug in OBD2 and pass. You could drive it in with 4 flat tires and if it pass computer it passes. Examiner has told me this.

So apparently you really can fix the world climate problem by keeping my four Lamborghinis off the road. Little joke there.

Answer is an enthusiastic WOW yes.

#2 Yes... slightly. $104-$120 taxes and tags.

And #3 is also a yes.. though, not by a lot. Maybe less in the rural south parts where I am but as a State? Heh. Very high.

It's like when I had to take the train to work in NYC. That $500+ a month unlimited train pass? You budget that in.. Basically, you're paying your $16 at any point of entry to NYC, no matter WHICH way you come in, no matter what. But we don't pay enough, right? Right? Sure. lol

So it being a NJ car is very "cute" however.. is it a POS. That is the questions.

It's got either an EJ22 or an EJ25. Slightly more possible it's an EJ25 based on year.. although if a manual, maybe an EJ22 as the 25 was supposedly "optional." If the body condition is too bad.. might say No Thanks upon seeing it. I have to let the car talk to me.

Bought a car from Brighton Beach once and it was fine.

Don't tell me what to do.

You are well aware as to how things tend to operate with respect to advice threads on here. And you know that I know that you know from past experience and past interactions on this subject. Nobody is looking down on you, you asked for opinion, people are providing their perspective, and yes, the ability to own, operate and maintain two vehicles is relevant, that's why I brought it up. If you need reliable transportation to get to work? That's important. All kinds of factors here, I haven't seen much in the way of rude commentary, aside from the odd shot, it's mostly people expressing a similar concern as myself as to the affordability aspect, which @The Critic echoed. He wasn't talking down to you, he was making an observation, and a valid one.

Don't take everything to heart, if you ask for input, expect that it isn't all going to be "yeah man, go for it!".

Last edited:
Also, about the one plate on the car. NJ makes you have two.

So he probably has a "placeholder" plate on it. Which means.. any plate, from anything, anywhere. (Usually Florida since they have one.) May or may not be legal to the car, probably isn't, but just there to give appearance of legitimacy, since they probably don't come checking parking on that block in Queens. Probably ever.

Some in NJ run one plate but if they do so, they are doing so illegally, and it's like window tint or other stuff like that, 98% of the time you're fine, but then there's that one time. All they needed was a reason. Now you're pulled. And do you really want that hassle?

So this car may be a flip car.

I think it got kissed by a plow and now he wants to sell it because if you're like me.. can't drive a dent.

You are well aware as to how things tend top operate with respect to advice threads on here. And you know that I know that you know from past experience and past interactions on this subject. Nobody is looking down on you, you asked for opinion, people are providing their perspective, and yes, the ability to own, operate and maintain two vehicles is relevant, that's why I brought it up. If you need reliable transportation to get to work? That's important. All kinds of factors here, I haven't seen much in the way of rude commentary, aside from the odd shot, it's mostly people expressing a similar concern as myself as to the affordability aspect, which @The Critic echoed. He wasn't talking down to you, he was making an observation, and a valid one.

Don't take everything to heart, if you ask for input, expect that it isn't all going to be "yeah man, go for it!".

Ehhh, that particular poster I will let him know isn't the boss of me, or of particular weird obsession. Gets old there.. okay so there's that. So my comment stands. (It wasn't at you, either.) Fire with fire. Otherwise, the rest of your post I have no problem with.

Comment wasn't at you, by the way.

^ I actually think you read a different post, inferring from your post body.

Yes, I know there are always going to be jerky replies.

Every now and then.. I don’t find certain of those particularly funny.

The comment wasnt about those citing cost, etc. It was in regards to something else.

Ehhh, that particular poster I will let him know isn't the boss of me, or of particular weird obsession. Gets old there.. okay so there's that. So my comment stands. (It wasn't at you, either.) Fire with fire. Otherwise, the rest of your post I have no problem with.

Comment wasn't at you, by the way.

No, I know, I'm just saying, don't get fired up over people expressing their opinion in a thread where you are soliciting opinion. You KNOW that every thread on here that has any remote association with money will turn into a financial advice thread, that's how it goes, so take it in stride.

Would I make this purchase? Hard no.

If you've got the means to get into something better and out of the potential disaster you are currently looking at sinking money into it makes sense to save up a bit more and get into something better, more reliable and with a solid history. If you want AWD (I assume this is something you like, given the Subaru) they made an AWD Fusion, and you can't really go wrong with a Ford Escape either.

If you could find a 5.0L Explorer with a solid body, there isn't much that can go wrong with those. The engine and trans are bulletproof and parts are cheap. If I was looking for something cheap that didn't cost a fortune to drive I'd be keeping an eye out for one.

22 year old meh car from the Queens. Grew up in Forest Hills, fond memories, wouldn’t touch that thing without a tetanus shot due to the inevitable rust. The 5 speed of that gen has terrible travel as well like most Subarus think dildo in a jar of mayonnaise.

No, I know, I'm just saying, don't get fired up over people expressing their opinion in a thread where you are soliciting opinion. You KNOW that every thread on here that has any remote association with money will turn into a financial advice thread, that's how it goes, so take it in stride.

Would I make this purchase? Hard no.

If you've got the means to get into something better and out of the potential disaster you are currently looking at sinking money into it makes sense to save up a bit more and get into something better, more reliable and with a solid history. If you want AWD (I assume this is something you like, given the Subaru) they made an AWD Fusion, and you can't really go wrong with a Ford Escape either.

If you could find a 5.0L Explorer with a solid body, there isn't much that can go wrong with those. The engine and trans are bulletproof and parts are cheap. If I was looking for something cheap that didn't cost a fortune to drive I'd be keeping an eye out for one.
I know you know. But the insinuating that I'm operating illegally I believe could be, what we say.. Uncalled for. I should take that in stride too, I know, but then to follow it up with "Calm down?" Yeah.. okay. So let's thank my level of not letting things get to me THAT MUCH for simply not acquiescence to Pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I took some offense. Yes.

Seems this car isn't all that good.

Guy that put a radio in my car had a 97 5.0 Mountaineer. If it wasn't such a gas hog.. I'd look!

I almost think the $1000 2002 Hyundai Accent is the leader here. That Queens Subaru has a scrape and.. i don't know its a leap of faith.

Even this would be fine.. though I feel its looks would make me stand out on the road. https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/keyport-1996-honda-civic-manual-trans/7247849078.html

I know you know. But the insinuating that I'm operating illegally I believe could be, what we say.. Uncalled for. I should take that in stride too, I know, but then to follow it up with "Calm down?" Yeah.. okay. So let's thank my level of not letting things get to me THAT MUCH for simply not acquiescence to Pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I took some offense. Yes.

Seems this car isn't all that good.

Guy that put a radio in my car had a 97 5.0 Mountaineer. If it wasn't such a gas hog.. I'd look!

I almost think the $1000 2002 Hyundai Accent is the leader here. That Queens Subaru has a scrape and.. i don't know its a leap of faith.

I'll just say that looking at $800 to put an engine in something buys a heck of a lot of gas to feed that 5.0L Windsor.

I'll just say that looking at $800 to put an engine in something buys a heck of a lot of gas to feed that 5.0L Windsor.
Well I've definitely put myself behind the 8-ball a little. But then I make the trick shot..

Thank you, also, for letting me tell you how my Fly Off The Handle isn't about financial advice. I have to declare a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy this year (confirmed) so I appreciate car advice, yes. It’s the other insinuation I feel was a Flag On The Play, Penalty, Holding, Repeat first down. And I dont even watch football.

I'm considering putting the sig Subie up for sale and I haven't even gotten it back yet. But having a running vehicle, with some appeal to special interest buyer.. possible!

Worst case scenario here is I just drive that one.

This car would be pricey for me. Would for SURE have to sell sig car to get it.

Think I could get $1000 for my sig car? Engine has 36,660 miles.

If you solicit opinions by asking, “Should I do this?” you should not be surprised if those opinions vary.

Some will say yes, and some will say no, in response to your question.

Any good SUV will hold its value, but I think some prices are inflated since we all supposed to be getting some free money soon..
Our Tahoe is at the body shop and sight unseen the insurance agent said it’s going to be totaled … so I started shopping online and went into panic attack over crazy used prices …
Late yesterday our dealership completed the estimate … about 20% of value so it will be repaired
(but will be blessed with a report in the database and never get that money back, other driver at fault)

Back