Considering buying this car as well

Well I’d ask for a list of the bad and good... any documented mechanical work if available. As others have stated see if the timing chains/belts whatever that car has were done as of recent.

You keep saying it’s a “5 speed-manual” how is the clutch and transmission? it could be a sloppy pig with worn synchros.

if the car is mechanically worth it I would offer $950. You can always go to an unbiased shop down there in Brooklyn offer the $950 have the seller pay a shop to give the car a once over and add the shop fee to the $950.

if the seller has nothing to hide he should be fine with bringing the car to a shop he doesn’t use... knowing he’s got a vehicle that would pass inspection and you would reimburse him in the sale price of the vehicle.
Yes. I am liking these ideas.

I'll check local listing for other manuals but this one I like as its another Subie.

I should look at it with skepticism.

HAHAHAHA. I can get a BUILT BLACK VW CORRADO G60 running BOOST for a little more...

Who wants to see that ad!?!?

I think it being a manual hurts the seller. Not many want a manual, let alone a manual wagon in NYC. Lowball him and see what happens!
Yeah, although I wonder if just being close to a large population tips it a bit. One thing in the country where there might be few shopping for something like this--in a city, whatever small percentage of a population that may like manual transmissions, has to result in a larger number of people.

I dunno, $1350 sounds low. I mean, my last car cost not much more, but I wasn't expecting very much either at that price. Was $1500 to fix up, and that was with my labor being free. Buying this old and used, I'd have a repair budget firmly placed in mind.

Yeah, although I wonder if just being close to a large population tips it a bit. One thing in the country where there might be few shopping for something like this--in a city, whatever small percentage of a population that may like manual transmissions, has to result in a larger number of people.

I dunno, $1350 sounds low. I mean, my last car cost not much more, but I wasn't expecting very much either at that price. Was $1500 to fix up, and that was with my labor being free. Buying this old and used, I'd have a repair budget firmly placed in mind.
I think it got nicked by a snow plow truck; has similar dent to the one mine has.

I'm either going to love my JDM Subie or hate it.

Truthfully, the reason I am thinking of flipping cars - to whatever, as we are now discussing - is because I want to erase memories I have of earlier this year and this car has maybe ONE positive one; and many bad ones, talking about my personal life this year, everything is fine in BITOGland but the fact I have a job I like that's close.. is very good. Had a real "flash in the pan" this year and part of me wants rid of this car, just because looking at it reminds me of.. 2020. And this is the car I bought for myself for my birthday so. Everything else is in order, (thank you for being happy about that.. smh. anyways) and the JDM swap might even be good.

Let me show you this Volkswagen, since, I have options.

I'm just done with 2020.

You don't have to post every CL ad :ROFLMAO:

The Accent is probably the best of the bunch, but it's also the most boring. What fun is that? I say get the van! Who knows what trouble you can get in with a van :devilish: the potential is limitless!

You don't have to post every CL ad :ROFLMAO:

The Accent is probably the best of the bunch, but it's also the most boring. What fun is that? I say get the van! Who knows what trouble you can get in with a van :devilish: the potential is limitless!
DUDE,! lol

I should TOTALLY get a manual Astro van.

I'd check the differential as I think Subaru's of that era used a viscous coupling that when one side slipped it thickened and made the other side engage.

I wouldn't go overboard on the offer since manuals are usually much harder to sell. Even of the the people who know how to drive a manual it's a special breed that actually prefers a manual. Even if you prefer a manual downplay it as a bad thing. I don't mind driving a manual and 30 years ago a manual was my preference but now I have chronic back pain and operating a clutch multiple times per trip isn't the fun it used to be. With the limited amount I've driven a manual in the past few years I almost forgot to downshift the other day while driving a friends car.

1) 104,000 miles on a 23 year old car? Yea right. I’d run a history report.

2) No front tag? Probably a dealer pretending to be private.

3) How tough is your state inspection? Around here you could easily spend more than the purchase price on repairs to get it to pass.

Back