Considering buying this car as well

If you don't need a car, I would avoid buying it.

And this is coming from someone who bought a new truck 6 months ago for occasional truck duties and to have a larger cabin for long trips.

Truthfully, the expense probably does not justify the benefits.
Thank you for telling me about how much more you have than me.

Thank you, also, for telling me about whats for me to decide for what's "worth it."

Next?

The potholes in NYC are CRATERS!!!!!!!!!! Fully inspect the underside and suspension.
Yeah that's something that concerns me.

I'm presently in the think/decide stages. Havent done anything yet!

Okay cool, I'm inside now.

Alright, so. All I know about the car presently is that it is still available.

I am thinking. It may have an EJ22 in there? Or EJ25. Hmmm.

If I drive it and like it, and let's say I buy it. I would then maybe see if there is any interest in anyone buying the JDM in my sig. If there is? Cool. If not? It can occupy the garage...

I always did like a 94-99. What I have now is a 00-04.

Let me think a little bit more about this.

Paying some more on the labor for the JDM while I await how that turns out.

I'm thinking if I should tell the guy NEVERMIND THE JDM and just get the car I posted the ad of.

I'm thinking it makes more sense to get the engine in.. then either sell one, or have two??

All we are doing is talking here.

I’m a one car man. But if you got the means treat yourself to the subie however I would thoroughly inspect the chassis and underside being a Brooklyn car.

I’m a one car man. But if you got the means treat yourself to the subie however I would thoroughly inspect the chassis and underside being a Brooklyn car.
I'm thinking of the negotiation too. I've never been the best negotiator!

He's asking $1350 and it has it going for it that it's a manual and "low miles" but other than that... no.

How would you do the negotiation?

Any chance this car has an EJ22?

And any other "digs" or implications folks may feel the need to get out of their system, hopefully once and for all?

Any chance this car has an EJ22?

And any other "digs" or implications folks may feel the need to get out of their system, hopefully once and for all?
Don’t take it to heart.... this is BITOG, where Corolla’s and Crown Vics are bought at 200,000 miles with the intent of taking them to 500,000 miles. Anything else is just superfluous and wasteful.

Don’t take it to heart.... this is BITOG, where Corolla’s and Crown Vics are bought at 200,000 miles with the intent of taking them to 500,000 miles. Anything else is just superfluous and wasteful.
lol. I'm stunned at some of the reactions. At this point I'm just bored.. It’s not hurting me but I'm stunned we have some veteran posters trying to ruffle my feathers. Just seems ridiculous. So let's fight the fire with some fire. Shooed off one so far now we have a new mosquito. Cant bite through teflon...

But isn't 500,000 miles on any API SN rated oil the new normal lol?

Guy might want to show me the car end of the week.

He's asking $1350 and it has it going for it that it's a manual and "low miles" but other than that... no.

I think it being a manual hurts the seller. Not many want a manual, let alone a manual wagon in NYC. Lowball him and see what happens!

I think it being a manual hurts the seller. Not many want a manual, let alone a manual wagon in NYC. Lowball him and see what happens!
I was thinking same. I was thinking of offering $700 maybe flashing the cash? (I wouldn't do that if it seemed like a sketchy hood.) But almost like a "believable lowball."

I thought the most important tactic was being prepared to walk.

High limit: $900 or $1000?

^^^^ and if it really is an EJ25 I can tell him how much my EJ25 sucked.. yes, maybe I can play that angle.

I suppose the worst case scenario is I don't get the car. I am familiar with the "there are a lot of people coming to look at it" scam.

Well I’d ask for a list of the bad and good... any documented mechanical work if available. As others have stated see if the timing chains/belts whatever that car has were done as of recent.

You keep saying it’s a “5 speed-manual” how is the clutch and transmission? it could be a sloppy pig with worn synchros.

if the car is mechanically worth it I would offer $950. You can always go to an unbiased shop down there in Brooklyn offer the $950 have the seller pay a shop to give the car a once over and add the shop fee to the $950.

if the seller has nothing to hide he should be fine with bringing the car to a shop he doesn’t use... knowing he’s got a vehicle that would pass inspection and you would reimburse him in the sale price of the vehicle.

Back