Considering a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get some opinions on getting a new car. I've had my 2007 Malibu for 10 years now, but it only has 50k miles. I realized that I have some expenses coming up soon. Within the next year, I will need four tires, transmission fluid change, coolant change, brake fluid flush and new pads, tie rods, sway bar end links, and possibly a battery (6 years old now). I still need to track down what is causing a vibration at 25 mph and rough idle, and just the other day when I put it in reverse it acted like it was in neutral.

So I've been think that instead of putting all this money into this car, I should trade it in. I've always lusted after the Dodge Charger since they first came out in 2006. I can't afford a new one but I've been looking into some 2016 models with low miles (less than 15k). These models are likely rentals but I've only been looking at certified pre-owned to get the 7year/100k mile powertrain warranty. I can get a well equipped V6 in SXT trim for around $18k or base R/T with the V8 in the low $20k range. I test drove each of these and of course the V8 put a smile on my face but I'm still considering the V6 since it is no slouch either. I figure I can get around $3k-$4k for my car in trade-in value but my insurance will go up $30-40 a month depending on which model Charger.

I guess I'm just seeking some validation as I seem to know what I want, but I'm open to any suggestions or opinions.

It's almost always cheaper to repair the car, but then I saw what you said about the transmission and all of the other repairs, and I think your reasoning makes sense.

Since it appears you don't put a ton of miles on your car, fuel mileage is less of a concern than someone that drives a lot.

For that case, I think it makes sense to get the bigger engine since it sounds like that's something you'd like.

So, my advice is go with the V8 Charger if it fits your budget and is not a stretch.

So you drove 5k a year for the last 10 years.

The time spent in the car is very little, i would suggest you fix the car.

But like Brentalan stated, if you are going to get a charger get a V8. The fuel cost is next to nothing. Spend a little more money and have the extra power on tap.

I look at cars all the time and i want out of my g35x but nothing is wrong with it. It will need another set of tires and fluids but guess what, if i buy another used car i will do it to that car as preventative maintenance anyways. I'm looking at a GTI 2011-ish or E90 328 sport. I want to go euro at the cheapest maintenance cost, even tho i would love a 335i or E55.

With the low mileage you use Check out a 3year lease with no money down and 30k mileage allowance. At the end of the lease you have the option to turn it in or buy it.This will let you afford the big V8.

Life is short. Drive what you lust after, and get the Charger.
Drive the Pentastar V6 and the Hemi and decide which way to go. You may be able to find a new '16 with heavy rebates that fits your budget. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
So you drove 5k a year for the last 10 years.

The time spent in the car is very little, i would suggest you fix the car.

But like Brentalan stated, if you are going to get a charger get a V8. The fuel cost is next to nothing. Spend a little more money and have the extra power on tap.

I look at cars all the time and i want out of my g35x but nothing is wrong with it. It will need another set of tires and fluids but guess what, if i buy another used car i will do it to that car as preventative maintenance anyways. I'm looking at a GTI 2011-ish or E90 328 sport. I want to go euro at the cheapest maintenance cost, even tho i would love a 335i or E55.

Well, the 5k miles a year is a little bit of a misrepresentation. I commuted 4 miles to work for several years.

There are some other factors. One door power lock hasn't worked in years. Same for the CD player (even though it was replaced three times under warranty). Everything rattles, the dashboard, mirrors, seats. It is the base model, it doesn't have heated mirrors, map lights, mirror lights. It is a base 2.2L engine that struggles on hills and it takes 11 seconds to get to 60...but I did get 38mpg on a trip once. It's been a mostly solid car up to this point, and I keep it extremely clean. It honestly just doesn't seem like a car that was built to last long.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Your car paid for?

Yes, paid $14k cash back in 07.

Originally Posted By: harbor
Life is short. Drive what you lust after, and get the Charger.
Drive the Pentastar V6 and the Hemi and decide which way to go. You may be able to find a new '16 with heavy rebates that fits your budget. Good luck.

That's what I've been telling myself. As I approach the end of my 20s I feel like getting something nicer and more fun.

Seeing as how the Malibu is hardly driven, I'd keep driving it and start paying yourself a monthly payment and save up and reconsider in a couple years, then you'd be really ahead

Yeah, put away $600 a month for next car in the future.

I inherited a 2005 Honda with only 35K miles, it was hardly driven and will just keep it.

Since you can't afford a new Charger, that tells me you should keep the Malibu. With only 50k, it has a lot of life left in it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Since you can't afford a new Charger, that tells me you should keep the Malibu. With only 50k, it has a lot of life left in it.

Error on my part, I CAN afford a new one quite easily, I just don't want to pay the $5000 or more extra for a new one over a very lightly used CPO model.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
, I will need four tires, transmission fluid change, coolant change, brake fluid flush and new pads, tie rods, sway bar end links, and possibly a battery (6 years old now). I still need to track down what is causing a vibration at 25 mph and rough idle, and just the other day when I put it in reverse it acted like it was in neutral.

Used car prices are falling, if you can hang in there a while longer you'll get a better deal, i.e. at least until the end of the year.

Outside of tires none of those repairs should be too expensive.

I'd past on the brake fluid flush, just slap in new set of cheap pads. Get the Value Line, (or whatever its called) $48 battery at Walmart. Trans fluid change may solve the reverse gear issue, if not cars can be driven a long time without reverse, don't ask how I know.
Coolant change, no big deal just drain and refill. Tie rods I'd leave alone unless they're ready to let go anytime. Sway bar end links, easy DIY job, (usually).

Error on my part, I CAN afford a new one quite easily, I just don't want to pay the $5000 or more extra for a new one over a very lightly used CPO model.

Oh, then treat yourself to a new car.
19.gif

Oh, then treat yourself to a new car.
19.gif

Putting money aside for retirement is for chumps, right? Maybe the "government" will pay.

I'd. I figure I can get around $3k-$4k for my car in trade-in value

10 year old Malibu with issues, l think you'll be lucky to get $2000 on a trade-in, unless you go new and the dealer wants to move some inventory.

Dude, the second you come on here telling everyone you bought a Charger with a V6, I'm gonna reply "could've had a V8".
I'd rather keep driving that Malibu as slow and sucky as it is before I'd buy a modern day muscle car with a V6 because the V8 cost a little more.

I look at it this way, if you can afford it then why not? I know there's alot of fix what you got thought here, but not everybody wants to drive the same car for 15 years. It seems it's a split between you want and the old car needs some stuff. I went through the same thing when I went from my 08 Jetta to my GTI. It was more of a want, but the timing was right and the discounts were there. Do what would make YOU happy.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Putting money aside for retirement is for chumps, right? Maybe the "government" will pay.

I missed the part where OP said he was cashing out his retirement accounts to buy a car.

Buy the R/T- new or used. I've never heard anyone say, "I sure wish I'd bought a car with less horsepower."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back