New car~?

I have a friend who constantly tells me I should buy a new car.. My current driver has 150,000 miles on it, gets 21.9 mpg, uses absolutely no oil, and is extremely comfortable. Any new car the I might consider buying costs over $50,000 and gets 21 to 30mpg. I've been offered $2500 trade-in allowance for my car, and wonder if what I save in improved mpg will pay for the $47,500 new debt in any foreseeable time frame~!! Seems to me that I can buy an awful lot of gas and make some pretty expensive repairs to my car qith that much money~!!
I'm gonna give you the same advice, Suze Orman once gave a college grad asking a similar question.

You need new friends.

Wait like 6 months till the next "cash for clunkers" program starts. Its gonna be worse than '08 and you will be able to scoop up the car of your choice for half off. Don't believe me? Go look at forum posts on car forums back in those days. I picked up an V6 Avalon in 2008 for literally 15k OFF MSRP as long as I paid "cash". I bought it outright, who wouldn't when you get such a deal!

The housing/car/asset apocalypse is right around the corner.

Only reason I buy new cars is I roll over equity from current cars when the time is right. Usually with some good haggling and patience you pay bellow MSRP for your previous car so you offset the depreciation when you trade it in to a new haggled car.
I an see a cash for EV program next year, but no one is going to rebate you to buy an ICE. In fact next year there will be all kinds of govco handouts - its a presidential election year after all and every party will want to buy your vote.

Any new car the I might consider buying costs over $50,000 and gets 21 to 30mpg.
Which cars are you considering? Why not choose one that costs less?

Just one example: the Corolla (which is one of the forum's most favorite cars ever) starts at less than half that amount.

Why would your "friend" give one rip what you drive? Seriously?

I would actually just ask them politely - "hey, why is it so important to you for me to have a new car"? And then just politely tell him your happy with your current car and the money in the bank.

Warning - they may not be your friend afterwards. Which for me would be OK but maybe no for you.

I have a friend who constantly tells me I should buy a new car.. My current driver has 150,000 miles on it, gets 21.9 mpg, uses absolutely no oil, and is extremely comfortable. Any new car the I might consider buying costs over $50,000 and gets 21 to 30mpg. I've been offered $2500 trade-in allowance for my car, and wonder if what I save in improved mpg will pay for the $47,500 new debt in any foreseeable time frame~!! Seems to me that I can buy an awful lot of gas and make some pretty expensive repairs to my car qith that much money~!!
What year, make, model, trim is your current car? There are some very nice vehicles available for significantly less than $50k. Then, rather than buying brand new for $XX,XXXk buy 2-3 years old with low mileage for 2/3 that amount. If you want presumably many years newer with many more safety features. Oh, and what does kbb.com say for your car? And Carmax/Carvana online offers? Bottom line, do whatever satisfies you.

Why would your "friend" give one rip what you drive? Seriously?

I would actually just ask them politely - "hey, why is it so important to you for me to have a new car"? And then just politely tell him your happy with your current car and the money in the bank.

Warning - they may not be your friend afterwards. Which for me would be OK but maybe no for you.
My wife's aunt is like that, I think it's a sickness. Just this month, you drove the BMW? And earlier in the summer, you have a Lexus?

I have not gotten a new car in 7 years. This is a woman who's an investment banker on Wall St. For her to give a **** what car we drive to a bbq, is some form of a sickness. She can't remember that I bought a Lexus, that she's ridden in, back in 2016? I even told my wife, there is something wrong with your aunt to mention our cars, every time we see her.

I an see a cash for EV program next year, but no one is going to rebate you to buy an ICE. In fact next year there will be all kinds of govco handouts - its a presidential election year after all and every party will want to buy your vote.
Not happening. There won't be enough supply, probably ever, at least in the US. There are more EV's being sold in Russia than in the US right now because of cheap Chinese production. Tesla left, toyota left, honda left, pretty much ever mainstream ev maker has left china. Not just in sales, but in manufacturing. EV's are the biggest hoax in automotive history and I will laugh when hybrid sales out pace EV + ICE only sales combined. The writing is on the wall.

Not only that, have fun trying to power all those EV's if they do "take over". What are we gonna run them off, coal? LOL

I'm inspired by the Keep Your Car posts. In 14 months my Nissan will be 25 years old (DOM 10/1999). In Arizona, this qualifies for a Historic Vehicle license plate. The regular plate has faded and is almost illegible.

When my daughter got her license, I passed my 235k mile Camry to her and got myself a car payment.

I drove the Camry a couple weeks ago and wonder why I didn’t get her another used one and kept mine!!! My new car is nice, and has more features, but I really enjoyed my Camry.

Don’t do it if you are comfortable and the car is still safe.

When my daughter got her license, I passed my 235k mile Camry to her and got myself a car payment.

I drove the Camry a couple weeks ago and wonder why I didn’t get her another used one and kept mine!!! My new car is nice, and has more features, but I really enjoyed my Camry.
Did the same, have my regrets too. My problem was, finding a beater that I could trust. I can find rusty crusty beat up beaters all day long. Find something I'd trust... was turning into a major headache.

I was perfectly fine taking my 261k Camry on past 300k (I'm up around 25k/yr now). But what untrustworthy car was I going to hand down to my non-car person daughter? but what untrustworthy car do I want to pick up for my daily travels?

If you don't need a new car, don't buy one. Cars are expensive and are generally a deprecating asset. Unless you have something that is rare and sits in a garage, you probably won't be getting any money back that will make it worth while in the long term.

I have friends who think like this as well and the only thing I need to ask is "How much debt do you have again?" Makes for a very quick end to the conversation. Having a car payment is not a great thing. It can be necessary, like if your vehicle breaks down and it would cost more than is reasonable to get it running again. Even then, you still don't have to spend $50K+ and end up with a car payment you can't afford.

The longest I have held on to a new purchase is 10 yrs. After the 8th year it was tough. One can only drive boring for so long. Had to have something new. It was 2008 Taco with the 2.7L 5-speed

You need new friends

I would like to upgrade the family's DD to something newer than my 2011 Prius....mainly for more room. We just want something larger for day to day driving - the truck is too large for that.

But for the 5k miles/yr that my Prius gets driven, neither of us are super interested when the Prius still averages 35-40 mpg and has never left us stranded. And at 236k, it owes us nothing.
I was surprised how large the trunk is in a Prius (probably the first generation). We had an giant Sony TV we wanted to get rid of. Offered it for free if someone hauled it away. Someone picked it up with their Prius. Opened the trunk and slid it in. Large opening and lots of room. We were really impressed.

I’ve moved and my mileage has doubled. I get 21.2 mpg, in a vehicle that is paid for. I saw what I’m spending per month for the first time today, and it hurt a little. But, the transaction cost alone, and then the newer vehicle cost… sends the whole thing backwards. I’ll keep driving what I have.

If it's paid for and has been reliable, I'd be hard pressed to replace it. That's not horrible fuel economy when no payment is involved.

If you want to keep him as a friend, put a set of these on your car. Man-Code dictates that any car with Cragars on cannot be criticized.

IMG_2853.jpeg

Last edited:
Back