Considering a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08

I agree in spirit (nothing like the sound of a Ford or Chevy V8) but today's V6's are nothing like the V6's of yesteryear. The previous generation Mustang V6 made 300hp/280lb-ft. That's nearly as much as the top line 4.6 DOHC that was in the Mustang in the 90's!

I'm not saying the V6s are slow, it's just that if I'm buying a domestic musclecar only a V8 will do.

Originally Posted By: DaRider34
It was almost close to 2k difference at Carmax. Its doesnt make sense to worry about lowering tax if you get more money for the car at once place over the other. Remember to negotiate the price of the new car your buying first before even talking about tradein. That way if they lowball you on the trade you can hit them with carmax offer. Wish i had went to Carmax first for the appraisal instead of the dealership.

Midgrade gas isn't that bad what maybe 10-25 cent more than regular vs premium that can be 60-80 more.

Good point. But even though they already offered me $2k I can always go to Carmax still and come back with their appraisal and ask them to match it or I walk. I have no problem doing that.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
When one wants/needs a new vehicle, they usually start shopping around instead of seeking approval from strangers on an internet forum.

Isn't conversation and learning the whole point of this forum?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Go for the 5.7L, it is like buying a V6 Mustang when you really wanted the V8 but told yourself the V6 was the practical choice. Just don't.

The 16 spark plugs are pretty accessible, it is the fact that there are 16 of them that's the issue. Secondly, I think the copper plugs thing was a LONG time ago, the new ones are all long life platinums, heck, even my wife's '06 R/T was.

The engine is really not all that crammed into the engine bay. It isn't as spacious as the V6 of course, but it isn't THAT tight.

If you are buying a new car, the dealer should want to play ball. That includes giving you what you need to get for your trade. There's plenty of margin on the sticker for the car, they can make it work.

Not bad except getting to the back ones might be a pain.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Well, here are some things I've researched about the V8 that would go in to the "not to love" category: The 16 spark plugs, tight fit in the engine bay making repairs difficult, recommended 89 octane, and 30k miles copper spark plug replacement (I'm not sure about this one, supposedly it has been changed to 100k platinums.)

But if the V6 makes you happy, then I agree, there is no need to spend more on a V8. Coming from a 2.2 I4, even a V6 should feel like a nice upgrade. My main beef with the V6 Charger was not the engine itself but the trans programming. Then again, it was a rental car so maybe the trans "learned" some bad habits from previous renters and needed to be reset...

Yeah, it was a clear difference in performance from my Malibu. I just wonder if I will crave the V8 once I get accustomed to the V6 or if it will satisfy my needs. One V6 I drove had nice tight shifts and another seemed like it was hunting for the right gears. Both being formal rental cars I'd guess it was a learning issue.

Originally Posted By: 555

Every choice is a compromise. Gas is still relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of the world. Think about why you like the Charger better than the alternatives.
Test drive everything you can, even cars you don't think you would ever buy but are in the same category.

Until the next time it doubles in price. Haha. Problem with this car is there isn't much else in it's category of RWD sedan that isn't a lot more money or a luxury vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I'll take the contrarian view: a 292 HP engine paired with an 8 speed transmission is satisfying to drive.

I rented a Charger a few years back in Sacramento and drove it up to Reno, via Lake Tahoe, on Route 50. Winding roads, hills, traffic to pass. The V-6 Charger was a great car for driving in spirited fashion through the mountains. The handling was excellent, steering nicely weighted, and the engine always seemed to be in just the right gear to be responsive and powerful when accelerating out of the corners, or passing slower traffic.

"it's just a V-6" and likening it to the anemic, wheezing Mustangs of 20 years ago is a specious comparison when you're talking about an engine that puts out 292 HP, is eager to rev, and is paired with an excellent transmission that allows it to perform at its peak in every situation.

I really liked that rental car. I was genuinely impressed.

Thanks, good to know the V6 has it's fans too. Was it a 2015+ model? They supposedly handle a bit better due to more aluminum parts used in the suspension. I guess having a light V6 in the front helps with handling as well...

Originally Posted By: deanm11
V6 Camaro would 0.4 quicker 0-60 and 1/4 but sounds like OP needs/wants a 4-door

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-lt-rs-v-6-test-review

I've sat in a Camaro and I just can't get over the cramped feel in there.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: RoGuE
[Was the V6 really that bad? I test drove each one twice, and while the V6 doesn't push you back in your seat like the V8 it still gets up to speed really quick and can be had for around $4000 less with all other options being equal. Also, I hate the tacky spoiler across the back.

Yeah, thats one of the many annoying things about new cars these days. To get the engine you want means having to buy unwanted options and/or packages, i.e. spoilers on already huge rear decks, 18 or 19 inch low profile wheels instead of the more forgiving 17's.

Personally, I think the best looking Charger is the 2017 model in Go Mango orange with the 17 satin silver wheels. I would buy new just to get that color.
cool.gif

https://pictures.dealer.com/a/allamericancllc/0315/0170adef9efd945094c35f737b13c5e8x.jpg

I know, it feels like the spoiler just makes the rear end too tall and throws off the nice lines of the car. Can't even be removed as it leaves a ton of holes (I believe 12 in total on body and trunk lid). That alone helps the case for the V6 a little bit.

Those wheels are surprising attractive considering it is on the SE. And that color is...interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
A V6 ponycar is like a Miata with an automatic- an abhorrent crime against nature.

I agree in spirit (nothing like the sound of a Ford or Chevy V8) but today's V6's are nothing like the V6's of yesteryear. The previous generation Mustang V6 made 300hp/280lb-ft. That's nearly as much as the top line 4.6 DOHC that was in the Mustang in the 90's!

It's actually more. My 2000 GT has 260 HP but the 2010 4.6 does have over 300.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: MCompact
A V6 ponycar is like a Miata with an automatic- an abhorrent crime against nature.

It's actually more. My 2000 GT has 260 HP but the 2010 4.6 does have over 300.

He said DOHC 4.6L
wink.gif
The 32V engine in the Cobra was ~320HP IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back