Confused about viscosity in '09 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that knowledgeable about motor oils but I'm trying to pick a good oil of the right viscosity for my new car, an '09 Toyota Corolla LE. I owned an '05 Toy Corolla and from memory, I believe Toy called for a 5W-30 in that car. I believe the motor in this new Corolla is the same, but they now call for a 0W-20 oil?

What's the deal with the viscosity change on the same motor? I've always gone with the mfg on what oil weight to use, but if 5W-30 was the right oil in this car 4 years ago, why is 0W-20 the right oil now?

Sorry if I'm a little thick-headed on this subject but my oil knowledge isn't as good as most of the people on this board, I am trying to learn some things though so please someone enlighten me on what changed and what oil I should use.

I've always used M1 oils but I did a little searching and it seems a lot of folks seem happy with Penzoil Platinum so I may try that. I picked up a couple of Bosch oil filters so I hope they are good to use.

Last edited:
Truthfully, both 5W-30 and 0W-20 will work fine. I'm not a Toyotaphile, but it's likely that nothing about the engine has been changed. They just spec'd a lighter oil for MPG reasons. (they're trying to squeeze every last MPG out of every engine and they believe lighter oils are the ticket).

Use whichever one will help you sleep at night.

I have owned a few Ford's that spec'd 5W20 oil and that is what I used. Very happy with the oil. Use the 5W20 and don't think twice about it. Look through some of the UOA's and you will see that the 20 wt oil is a very good oil. I have used Amsoil XL 5W20 and Motorcraft(MC) semi-syn oil from Walmart. MC is a great oil and available in a 5qt jug at Walmart for $12.50!! I would easily go 5000-7500 mi on the MC. I changed out the Amsoil at about 10,000 mi intervals. Never used a drop of oil in either case. You can use 0W20 oil, but it is harder to find and you probably will spend more money on it. 0W20 vs. 5W20 miniscule difference in my opinion. Maybe slightly better cold start properties in the 0W20. Most BITOG members also Love Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil if you want to use an over the counter synthetic oil from Walmart.
As for filters, you will get a million opinions here about filters, but one common theme appears over and over. Most BITOG members don't like Fram filters and everyone really Likes Purolator Pure One filters. The filters you bought will be perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

This page mentions an oil consumption problem using the thinner oil with the 09 Corolla. It might pay to do some follow up work about that...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1334775&fpart=2

So if I understand that link, Toyota actually has a service bulletin to address excessive oil consumption when using the 0W-20 oils in the '09 Corolla?

I had about 60k on my '05 Corolla using the M1 5W-30 and never added a drop of oil in between changes.

Last edited:
Read the thread all the way to the end. Some people feel that it is a design flaw and not an oil problem. If you still aren't comfortable use a good Dino 5W30 or use a Synthetic 5W30 if you don't mind the extra cost.

I'd ask your dealer about it. In the unlikely event you had a lubrication warranty issue they may/could void warranty.

Rat, as stated above, you'll probably be fine with either oil, but I usually recommend that you stick with what the manufacturer specifies for at least the duration of the warranty. That way there's less chance of you getting stuck between a rock and a hard place if there's a problem. After the warranty is up, you're free to use whatever lets you sleep at night.

The switch to 0W-20 wasn't solely for CAFE...thinner oils do get to the top of the motor more quickly, and when you have a relatively complex DOHC motor like yours, getting proper lubrication to all those cams and other whirly things up there is important.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Read the thread all the way to the end. Some people feel that it is a design flaw and not an oil problem. If you still aren't comfortable use a good Dino 5W30 or use a Synthetic 5W30 if you don't mind the extra cost.

The thread seemed to mention a design flaw with some Honda engines, but I didn't see anything about the Corolla. I'm leaning towards using a 5W-30 since I had zero oil consumption with it on my '05 Corolla and if the motor is the same then why fix what ain't broke?

Originally Posted By: Boomer01
I'd ask your dealer about it. In the unlikely event you had a lubrication warranty issue they may/could void warranty.

Sounds like a waste of time when I already know the dealer will just tell me to do what the owner's manual states. I'm more interested in finding out what changed and I guess this CAFE thing seems to be what prompted them to change from saying using a 5W-30 to a 0W-20. If nothing changed with the motor itself, then it does make me wonder why they think that now these zero weight oils are better for these motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiverRat
Originally Posted By: Boomer01

Sounds like a waste of time when I already know the dealer will just tell me to do what the owner's manual states. I'm more interested in finding out what changed and I guess this CAFE thing seems to be what prompted them to change from saying using a 5W-30 to a 0W-20. If nothing changed with the motor itself, then it does make me wonder why they think that now these zero weight oils are better for these motors.

It sounds like you will run the 5W30 and will be fine. I would like to see a dealer be able to tell what oil you had in there if there ever was a warranty issue. Repeat after me " I used the manufacturer recommended 0W20"!!!!!!!!

[/quote]
It sounds like you will run the 5W30 and will be fine. I would like to see a dealer be able to tell what oil you had in there if there ever was a warranty issue. Repeat after me " I used the manufacturer recommended 0W20"!!!!!!!! [/quote]
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I have the 09 corolla and have done quite a bit of research on the oil consumption issue. As a result I run PP 5w30.

PM me if you want to know more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I have the 09 corolla and have done quite a bit of research on the oil consumption issue. As a result I run PP 5w30.

PM sent!

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

River Rat, I'd go with what Smokescreen says since he has the same car, first hand experience and great results!!

Originally Posted By: RiverRat
I believe the motor in this new Corolla is the same, but they now call for a 0W-20 oil?

Actually, IIRC the previous generation Corolla used the 1ZZ engine and the new one uses the 2ZR engine. I'm sure they're similar but they're not the same model.

Hi RiverRat

You have the 1ZZFE engine that has been around for a very long time.. (15 years?)

Run 5w30. 0w20 has had problems with oil consumption, and Toyota offered a TSB that would reflash the ECU.. essentially de-tuning the engine, so that 0w20 could still be used.

The consumption problems went away when people ran 5w30. 5w30 is spec'd for the engine around the world.. for some parts, even 5w40.

This is enough reason to show that the 0w20 recommendation was probably CAFE based.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo

You have the 1ZZFE engine that has been around for a very long time.. (15 years?)

As stated above, I don't think so. I think all 09 North American Corollas have the new 2ZR-FE engine, not the 1ZZ-FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back