Confused about viscosity in '09 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo

You have the 1ZZFE engine that has been around for a very long time.. (15 years?)

As stated above, I don't think so. I think all 09 North American Corollas have the new 2ZR-FE engine, not the 1ZZ-FE.

I stand corrected. The 1ZZFE was discontinued in 2007.

down here they don't allow 5w-30 above 16 deg C (which it always is) - i think this is an aged recommendation from when 5w-30 wasn't as "stable" as 10w-30.

I think the corolla XRS does use the camry motor (2rz-fe ) along with the XRS matrix. Although, the other's are still the same 1zz-fe 1.8L motors i beleive. The only thing that changed was the filter is now a cartridge style.

Back to topic:

I have an 08 corolla with the 1zz-fe motor which has the spin on filter. My current oil in the sump now is the Amsoil ASM 0w20 and EAO09 filter with 5k miles on the oil. I WILL NOT run this oil again although it's a great oil.
It is consuming oil, and has shown no signs of improvement MPG wise or any other benefit whatsoever. The engine seems to be noisier as well, vs. the previous fill of ASL 5w30.
The car now has 20k miles on it, and in perfect working condition.

My next OCI will be a 30w, and it will always get a 30w thereafter. I'm not buying the CAFE B.S.

Just my 2 cents.

Run the ASL 5w30. I'm ran that with great results... Currently I'm running PP 5w30 and works great... When I first bought my truck I had consumption issues with a 20 weight and so I switched away... Just thought I would contribute...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Run the ASL 5w30. I'm ran that with great results... Currently I'm running PP 5w30 and works great... When I first bought my truck I had consumption issues with a 20 weight and so I switched away... Just thought I would contribute...
grin2.gif

What truck?

I'm running ASL in my 07 tundra (which is spec'd for a 20w), and it seems to like it better. Although my next oci will be the SSO.

Hyundai Santa Fe... Also forgot to mention that I lifter ticking like crazy with the 20 weight. Cold, Warm or Hot...

Thanks to all the responses so far.
thumbsup2.gif

It sounds like at the very least I have nothing to lose except maybe a very small % of mpg by using the 5W-30 instead of the recommended 0W-20. I'm leaning towards just using PP 5W-30 and forgetting about it.

I know you're "supposed" to save something like $440 in fuel over XXXXX miles using a 0W oil, but if you have to keep dumping in oil for top ups then I think the savings goes down just a tad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I think the corolla XRS does use the camry motor (2rz-fe ) along with the XRS matrix. Although, the other's are still the same 1zz-fe 1.8L motors i beleive. The only thing that changed was the filter is now a cartridge style.

Back to topic:

I have an 08 corolla with the 1zz-fe motor which has the spin on filter. My current oil in the sump now is the Amsoil ASM 0w20 and EAO09 filter with 5k miles on the oil. I WILL NOT run this oil again although it's a great oil.
It is consuming oil, and has shown no signs of improvement MPG wise or any other benefit whatsoever. The engine seems to be noisier as well, vs. the previous fill of ASL 5w30.
The car now has 20k miles on it, and in perfect working condition.

My next OCI will be a 30w, and it will always get a 30w thereafter. I'm not buying the CAFE B.S.

Just my 2 cents.

The 09 Corolla 1.8L engine does have a different number, 2ZR-FE designates dual VVT-i (intake exhaust valves 132hp), the former number was 1ZZ-FE the single VVT-i (intake valves only 126hp). Other that the valves the engine (except oil cartidge filter) is the same I believe.

The 09 XRS is 2AR-FE which is the 2.4L Camry engine, the XRS before that was the 2ZZ-GE engine 1.8L (VVTL-i) which was the Celica GT-S engine and the engine used in the Lotus Elise (with adjustments)

My brother has the 07 Corolla and was thinking of switching to 20wt. Good to know about the consumption there as well. I was right to advise him otherwise.

We're running Valvoline conventional 5W-30 in an '08 Corolla. I was surprised to see that recommendation in the owner's manual...... expecting to see maybe a 5W-20 recommendation. No oil use @ 4k OCI's with the 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
From the Australian Corolla

oil.jpg

Gee wow look at all the choices available to you!

gee Toyota's must've gotten over the 5w-30 phobia in my camry... no 5w-30 above 50 F

Oil.jpg

Would the M1 0w30 AFE oil be a good choice for this car? I have a 09 Corolla S and just got some of the M1 with the $10 rebate. I was thinking that the 0w30 should have at least as good of a cold-flow rate as 5w20, but provide a bit better protection at higher temps. I'm new to all of this oil analysis and am trying to learn what all of the stats mean, but does it seem that 0w30 would be the best of both worlds, better cold and hot?

I have been using 5w30 maxlife full synthetic in my 09 corolla. Shhhhhhh... and no problems whatsoever. No oil consumption. And no hit on the MPG's Heck, I would be tempted to use mobil 1 0w40. shhhhh... just joking Toyota service.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
The 09 Corolla 1.8L engine does have a different number, 2ZR-FE designates dual VVT-i (intake exhaust valves 132hp), the former number was 1ZZ-FE the single VVT-i (intake valves only 126hp). Other that the valves the engine (except oil cartidge filter) is the same I believe.

This is incorrect. This is how Toyota numbers most of their engines:

ABC-DE

A = "Revision" number
BC = Engine family
D = Power/Economy designator (F = Fuel Economy, G = Performance)
E = Electronic engine control

A 2ZR-FE (as the non-XRS 10th generation Corolla [2009+] uses), is a ZR engine, completely different from a ZZ engine. Every Toyota ZR engine has Dual VVT-i, not just the 2ZR-FE. There's a 1ZR-FE, which is a 1.6L version. The 2ZR-FE is the 1.8L version. There are a few other versions, used overseas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine

Again, there are obvious similarities between the ZZ and ZR engines (both are alloy 4-cylinder engines), but the engines are completely different designs.

My brother has the 07 Corolla and was thinking of switching to 20wt. Good to know about the consumption there as well. I was right to advise him otherwise.

I used 5W-20 PP in my '07 with the 1ZZ-FE and experienced no oil consumption. I did only use that on one OCI though. The 5W-30 just feels better to me in this engine, so that's what I continue to use today.

I had wondered the same thing, havn't found out for sure that they're putting the 2ZR in their 09 Corollas. Mine does seem to run better on 5w30 vx. 5w20 though.

the '09 COROLLA and '09 VIBE ( Matrix ) we test drove had 5w-20 printed on the oil caps . Most likely for better fuel economy .

Last edited:
I have the 09 corolla and have done quite a bit of research on the oil consumption issue. As a result I run PP 5w30.

PM me if you want to know more.

So, what is the scoop on the 5W20 oil consumption in the new 2ZR-FE engine? Did anyone figure out why it's happening?
There was oil consumption in the 1ZZ-FE when it came out back in 1998 and was not completely fixed before 2002. What is with Toyota's engine testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back