Is Dexos 2 safe in a 2012 Denali 6.2

Curious if a 5w-30 Euro Dex 2 is safe to use in a Dex 1 LS3 6.2 with AFM, motor has 130K

Was thinking on the Penzoil Euro L 5W-30.

Nothing wrong with engine, just toying with options.

Motor loves Redline, but curious to other slightly "heavier" oils with higher HTHS.

(edited)

Last edited:
Of course, these engines aren't lspi prone. I use 5w-40 euro in my 2021's 6.2 but I'll probably switch it to 15w-40 since it doesn't get cold where I'm at.

I wasn't aware of any LS3 engines that have Active Fuel Management? Maybe in the trucks? But I think it would be a different engine designation?

I wasn't aware of any LS3 engines that have Active Fuel Management? Maybe in the trucks? But I think it would be a different engine designation?

You are correct, I misspoke.

I had it in my head back in the day that the Gen 4 LS 6.2 is a variant of the LS3. May or may not, but proper term is Gen 4 LS.

Curious if a 5w-30 Euro Dex 2 is safe to use in a Dex 1 LS3 6.2 with AFM, motor has 130K

Motor loves Redline, but curious to other slightly "heavier" oils with higher HTHS.

(edited)
My motor loves long walks on the beach, puppies and a good, warm cuddle.

(edited)

Yes, it will work fine. However, you have to consider that a motor oil like Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 is primarily formulated to protect the emission systems on light duty Diesel engines. You have a gas engine with a catalytic convertor. If it was mine, I would pick a motor oil that prioritizes high performance and protection against wear, like:

• Mobil 1 FS 5W-30/0W-40/5W-40 (API SP, the 5W-30 uses the same API SP add pack).
  • Quaker State Euro 5W-40 (API SP)
  • Castrol Edge Euro 5W-40 (API SP)
The above is what you can find at WM for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Back