Comparing 30wt with 5W-30

The coldest temp I experienced this winter was 38-degrees F. There were only 2 or 3 days like that. Generally the coldest temps were around mid-40s, but low to mid-50s was more common.
Sounds very similar to my climate. I would have started my car in the low to mid-50's F this morning, it wasn't a problem. The overnight low was about 45F. Still it's your car and your decision.

Hey, right now it's summer over there anyway ...

The coldest temp I experienced this winter was 38-degrees F. There were only 2 or 3 days like that. Generally the coldest temps were around mid-40s, but low to mid-50s was more common.
You can run the HPL with confidence in your Toyota. I used to live in San Bruno and grew up in Millbrae.
I worked for a Forklift dealership, the company had its headquarters in San Jose, and a branch in Salinas and South San Francisco . The company used Delo straight 30 in their forklifts, the customers forklifts we serviced and the company's 3 class 8 vehicles , service vans and the sales mans company cars and the owners vehicles. In the decades I worked for the company there was never a problem running the straight 30 Delo. The HPL will certainly work for the bay areas temperatures with ease and probably colder.

Reactions: SR5
It's going to be a 15W30. CCS is 5295 as a 15W. Alkylated Napthylenes have a negative effect on cold temperature. Having AN in this oil will prevent it reaching 10W. We will run MRV over the weekend and it will be ready to measure on Monday. Its a pretty stout "Lawnmower oil"

David

Pretty stout lawn mower oil. ..

Understatement of the year :LOL:

This is another tremendous oil made by HPL.

Here's a good discussion on CCV and MRV.

A MRV (Mini-Rotary Viscometer) is used to find the "Pumpability" viscosity "W" grade in J300. The max viscosity for pumpability in J300 is 60,000 cP for all defined "W" grades.

If MRV viscosity measured 10,823 cP and was rated as a 15W then it must have been tested at -25C per J300. I'm thinking when tested at -30C to see if it could make it to the 10W rating the viscosity was over 60,000 cP, so best it could do was a 15W. In other words, it basically "gelled" between -25 and -30C ... ie, the viscosity increased drastically between -25 and -30C.

Last edited:
A MRV (Mini-Rotary Viscometer) is used to find the "Pumpability" viscosity "W" grade in J300. The max viscosity for pumpability in J300 is 60,000 cP for all defined "W" grades.

If MRV viscosity measured 10,823 cP and was rated as a 15W then it must have been tested at -25C per J300. I'm thinking when tested at -30C to see if it could make it to the 10W rating the viscosity was over 60,000 cP, so best it could do was a 15W. In other words, it basically "gelled" between -25 and -30C ... ie, the viscosity increased drastically between -25 and -30C.
If MRV was 10,823 @ -25C and we use the "double the viscosity for every 5C drop in temperature" rule of thumb, then said oil might pass 5W.
But, CCS is the limiting factor, holding the oil to a 15W pass.

If we use Tom in NJ's jello analogy, an engine oil should pump down to its pour point.

Enjoy.

If MRV was 10,823 @ -25C and we use the "double the viscosity for every 5C drop in temperature" then said oil might pass 5W.

If we use Tom in NJ's jello analogy, an engine oil should pump down to its pour point.

Enjoy.
@High Performance Lubricants said it was tested with a MRV, and speced out as a 15W. In order to be a 15W for "Pumpability Viscosity" it was tested at -25C as shown in J300.

I highly doubt a straight 30 is going to pass the MRV test and come in as a "5W" as you assume. @High Performance Lubricants will have to elaborate more.

If MRV was 10,823 @ -25C and we use the "double the viscosity for every 5C drop in temperature" rule of thumb, then said oil might pass 5W.

Enjoy.
MRV is more important than CCS. The pump will suck the oil into the pump, but if the oil will not flow back into the void hole that the pump created (what the MRV pumpability test determines), then the pump inlet will be sucking air, and the engine will be starved of oil.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/ccv-and-mrv-significance.230135/post-3622256

@High Performance Lubricants said it was tested with a MRV, and speced out as a 15W. In order to be a 15W for "Pumpability Viscosity" it was tested at -25C as shown in J300.

I highly doubt a straight 30 is going to pass the MRV test and come in as a "5W" as you assume. @High Performance Lubricants will have to elaborate more.
Right. Chevron's Delo 400 SD 15w30, the perfect oil that nobody bought shows in their PDS MRV @ -25C 14,900, but barely passed 15W CCS.

SAE J300 for reference. 2015 is the latest version I believe.

SAE J300 (2015 Version).JPG

Right. Chevron's Delo 400 SD 15w30, the perfect oil that nobody bought shows in their PDS MRV @ -25C 14,900, but barely passed 15W CCS.
Yep, an oil has to pass both CC and Pumpability Viscosity in the specified "W" rating. @High Performance Lubricants didn't list any CC viscosity number, so not sure if it also met CC Viscosity for 15W, but probably did.

Hey, I still have a case of the 15W30, bought when O'Reilly was blowing it out cheap, just have to find something to put it in! Lawn mowers have been getting T5 10W30, but I'm sure the Delo SD would work great too. I'm sure the HPL "straight "30 would be great for Shel in SF, and would be super overkill in any lawnmower-even these-
Sponsorship opportunity!

No, because as already noted pumpability at very low temperatures is influenced by shear in the oil around the pump inlet. Tom's post describes this. Pour point was demonstrated to be an unreliable indicator of pumpability at low temperatures.

Yes this was measured at -25. The CCS was mentioned in post 22 which is 5295. CCS when run as a 10W in this case was over the limit. So in this case you would only run MRV to back up the grade it will meet via CCS.

The AN has a negative effect on cold temperature performance. It sure is worth having though because it is a great product for where it is used.

Yes this was measured at -25. The CCS was mentioned in post 22 which is 5295. CCS when run as a 10W in this case was over the limit. So in this case you would only run MRV to back up the grade it will meet via CCS.
To meet the lowest possible SAE "W" grade, isn't it true that the oil must meet both the CCS and MRV viscosity tests?

Back