Comparing 30wt with 5W-30

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been looking at HPL's charts and came across these numbers:

HPL Comp.JPG

To my knowledge, these two oils seem similar enough to be interchangeable. It seems that they pour/flow/pump at about the same rate when cold and the 30wt has a slightly higher HT/HS. In a climate like mine, the San Francisco Bay Area, is there any real disadvantage to using HPL's straight 30wt compared to the 5W-30? Perhaps other numbers tell a more complete story:

Comments?

The 30W uses very good base oil(s). If you look at Valvolines 30W, it has a viscosity index of 99, HPL's has a viscosity index of 132.

The 30W uses very good base oil(s). If you look at Valvolines 30W, it has a viscosity index of 99, HPL's has a viscosity index of 132.
Yes, I know HPL uses good base oils. My question was whether or not there'd be any disadvantage using HPL's straight 30wt in my environment and, I should add, in the 2011 Camry?

For a multi grade you look at the MRV and CCS data. That kv40 10cSt is significant - that's 100 deg F

Where an API designated product, If VM are employed, Mfg must label the product as a 10W or 5W if it meets fits below the upper spec margin for that winter rating

I am running a 10W30 in a 5W20 spec engine with better than factory results; it has a pour point of -54 degC.
Quaker State Full Synthetic - If you are thinking of a "more robust oil" I would recommend this product highly.

- Ken

REAL synthetic group IV + V oils react differently in varying temps than conventional or even fake synthetic group III highly refined CRUDE oils!!! specs at 40C + 100C DON'T say what happens in colder or hotter temps. machinerylubrication.com showed how much thicker + thinner base oils got in varying temps. they noted thinning continues above the spec temps a bit BUT thickening in the cold was even more profound, as 40C - 104F is the cold tested spec so most oils are below that spec setting in the oil pan + if not for additives like pour point depressants that prolly diminish with use cranking would be quite slow!!

Overkill-ask him if he has any CCS numbers on the SAE 30. They’re usually not a requirement, but CCS is a good measure of ability to start & flow at colder temperatures.
Yes, CCS and MRV would let us know if it is indeed a 10w-30 sold as an SAE 30 because it can.

We will run CCS and MRV. MRV is a 2 day test. I will share the results. We have not run these since this is a straight weight.

It would certainly be a good choice for your weather Shel_B

David
Excellent!

AMSOIL used to sell a PAO-based SAE 30 that was also a 10w-30, so, assuming this product is also PAO-based, I'd expect it to be reasonably similar in that department.

My question was whether or not there'd be any disadvantage using HPL's straight 30wt in my environment and, I should add, in the 2011 Camry?
Right now I'm running a Penrite Group-II SAE 30 monograde in my 2006 4-cylinder GM, it's working fine.

That HPL PAO based SAE30 is a much higher quality oil than I'm using, I'm sure it will do even better. It's all about how cold it gets in your area and if the oil will pump. Dave will give you the CCS & MRV numbers.

How cold does it get in the San Francisco Bay Area?

It's just started winter here, but it's still only getting down to 7C (45F), so I'm not worried. My personal line in the sand for a SAE30 is 0C (32F), and that's for a Group-II monograde. Your HPL Group-IV should be even better in the cold. Once you can cold start with a monograde, it's all good as far as I'm concerned, higher HTHS for the same KV100, no shear, and very low Noack volatility (maybe around 5% at a guess).

AMSOIL used to sell a PAO-based SAE 30 that was also a 10w-30, so, assuming this product is also PAO-based, I'd expect it to be reasonably similar in that department.
That would be my guess too for a PAO SAE30, something like a 10W30 in performance.

Not too sure what my Group-II SAE30 will be, I'm guessing something like a 20W30, maybe a 15W30 at the most.

Last edited:
How cold does it get in the San Francisco Bay Area?
The coldest temp I experienced this winter was 38-degrees F. There were only 2 or 3 days like that. Generally the coldest temps were around mid-40s, but low to mid-50s was more common.

Back