common oil for OM642 (jeep) and VW CDCA (Amarok)

Hello,
i'm trying to find a common oil for these two cars (to buy in bulk and it doesn't make sense to keep different stock of oil), i've compiled a short list of the oils i can get in my country as well as gathering the SDS and tech specs(and also found a couple interesting threads here).
  • the OM642 is in a 2005 Grand cherokee 3.0 CRD with >270Kkm and a new turbo
  • the CDCA is in a 2011 Amarok, with a new engine(less than 10Kkm in it)
  • BOTH cars have no DPF/SCR(from factory they're both euro 4 iirc) and are EGR-deleted.
  • They're used in temperate climate, temps never go below 0°C (or very very rarely for some days, there's no snow or ice possible)
  • 90% commuter use, short

According to manual, VW asks for 507/505, and jeep 229.51, but those norms tends to be more for DPF/SCR vehicles

From the threads found here, ¿it seems that without DPF i could run 229.5?

I made a handy chart of what i can find that seems to fulfill both norms or a subset, lots of manufacturers don't include all the data, all are 5W30 save for a couple that says it:
oils.jpg

Considering the specifications and data i'm not quite sure of what would be "the best". Motul xcess 5w40 seems to have the highest TBN and a good HTHS

i'm not even listing Mobil 1 as it costs way more than double of the most expensive competitor.

regards!

• the OM642 is in a 2005 Grand cherokee 3.0 CRD with >270Kkm and a new turbo
  • the CDCA is in a 2011 Amarok, with a new engine(less than 10Kkm in it)
  • BOTH cars have no DPF/SCR(from factory they're both euro 4 iirc) and are EGR-deleted.
According to manual, VW asks for 507/505, and jeep 229.51, but those norms tends to be more for DPF/SCR vehicles

I'd use VW 507 00 & MB 229.51 oils regardless. I'd suggest M1 ESP 5W-30 if available in Argentina.

From the threads found here, ¿it seems that without DPF i could run 229.5?

Yes, you certainly could also use a 229.5 but don't expect it to be superior.

thanks for the prompt reply, but as i've said on the first post M1 es prohibitively expensive here, it's a non-starter at the price it has not even in the same ballpark as the rest.

so you say to use 507+229.51, that leaves me with Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL, Total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5W30 or Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic XL-III 5W30, sadly there aren't full datasheets for either of them.

between 229,51 and 507, which one is more "stringent"?, i'd guess 507 as it's newer?.

¿why wouldn't it be better to use an oil that doesn't bother with the low saps for the DPF?.

edit: found another one, LIQUI MOLY Top Tec 4200 5W-30 New Generation, but very expensive as well

VW 507.00/MB 229.51 oils typically have better quality than MB 229.5 oils, with state-of-the-art add packs and higher-quality base oils. Full-SAPS oils—that is ACEA A3/B4 oils—are somewhat a thing of the past, not to say that they are not good. It helps to avoid the extra SAPS if you don't need it, which would reduce the SAPS-deposit buildup on your valves and emissions.

I'd pick the Castrol or Valvoline by price advantage and never look back.
I gathered more data for my table, now with full pricing for each one and a price per liter and the ranking os 507+229.51/52 ends up(cheapest 1st):

Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic XL-III 5W30
Total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5W30
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL
LIQUI MOLY Top Tec 4200 5W-30 New Generation

the valvoline XL-III is "1500" of local currency per liter.
the top tec 4200 is "2714" which already veers into way too expensive territory

for comparison, Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 is 3500/L :eek: (for more perspective, for the 10L needed for the OM642, with M1 it's around half a normal salary..., for the same change interval as the others).

Gokhan, i'm going to take a good look at that link

Sorry I didn't read your last sentence about M1 prices in Argentina.

I agree with what Gokhan said. Both VW 507 00 and MB 229.51 are stringent.
It would be worthwhile to find an oil meeting both approvals simultaneously.
It shouldn't be too hard to obtain as many 5W-30 C3 oils meet both of them.
You can't go wrong with either Castrol Edge, Total Quartz or Valvoline and I
wouldn't spend more on Liqui Moly. However I would spend some more on
M1 though not that much you said it is in Argentina. Same with Ravenol VMP
if it's even available in your country. VMP is much better than anything LM.

indeed thats the case.
It seems that the cheapest oil in the list (valvoline XL-III) is also the one with the most complete ratings, go figure.

I took a good look at the Afton handbook, very interesting and informative, it totally explains the better specs for newer oils.

now that i look back this oil thing was "easy", but looking for OM642 coolant locally has been almos timpossible, either it's priced like liquid gold (making M1 seem cheap) or there's absolutely nothing even closer to HOAT

Last edited:
Back