Cold wave in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of this lands on the “all electric world” - which I find utterly ridiculous in a state rich with natural gas …
I am old and slow .... is the issue too many people with electric heat, or is the issue not enough gas fired electric plants - or both?

Lots of homes here in SC are electric heat only. You don't really "need" heat here very often, so its infinitely cheaper to put a heat strip in the Air Handler than run gas or a heat pump. I am guessing its similar there?

I am old and slow .... is the issue too many people with electric heat, or is the issue not enough gas fired electric plants - or both?

Lots of homes here in SC are electric heat only. You don't really "need" heat here very often, so its infinitely cheaper to put a heat strip in the Air Handler than run gas or a heat pump. I am guessing its similar there?
It’s cheaper to build … but freak weather aside - the Houston area will dip below freezing every year …
The gas is also great fuel for gens in hurricane season or thunderstorms - which are the more common issues …

Expansive clay soils deter basement construction.

My house is built on a lot with expansive clay soil and has a basement.

But the bedrock is something like 8-9 feet below the surface so it probably made sense to build a house with a basement.

In any case, the geotech report had recommendations for foundation design and drainage that the builder followed.

The additional cost to go from a straight cool ac with heat strips to a heatpump with heatstrips is less than $500 or so, last time I checked. Probably over 10 years it would pay for itself.

This updated map of current temps show the cold air entering into Texas putting Dallas into the freezing zone, and then the forecast predicts freezing temps in Houston on Thursday.

109BDACC-1C19-4AD2-9C85-E7CE22B9E0BA.jpeg

Reactions: 4WD
All electric is BS - regardless of where
Same here. The province is trying to get consumers on 100% hydro electricity, but I prefer my propane boiler backup heat when it’s too cold for the heat pump. A generator solves the electric circulation pump issue in case the power goes down. All the coal plants in China negate any issues with burning propane or natural gas ( if it’s available).

Same here. The province is trying to get consumers on 100% hydro electricity, but I prefer my propane boiler backup heat when it’s too cold for the heat pump. A generator solves the electric circulation pump issue in case the power goes down. All the coal plants in China negate any issues with burning propane or natural gas ( if it’s available).
Yeah they are building them left and right and openly said thanks for making it more available for us …

The cold snaps don't last long here, but we do get them a couple of times each year, and they are usually not extremely cold like Wyoming can get. I do remember a couple of years in the 80's and once in the 90's where it never froze all winter. Climate change has made the hot snaps hotter and the cold snaps colder.
Climate change caused the last major ice age to end as well.

My house is built on a lot with expansive clay soil and has a basement.

But the bedrock is something like 8-9 feet below the surface so it probably made sense to build a house with a basement.

In any case, the geotech report had recommendations for foundation design and drainage that the builder followed.
It's not all the same.

expansive-soils-map-900.gif

Red areas are >50 percent abundant of clays with high swelling potential
Blue areas are < 50 (see above)
Light green are < 50 percent abundant of clays with moderate swelling potential

It's not all the same.

A large map like what you showed cannot possibly show localized areas of shrink-swell soil.

Because of the presence of shrink-swell soil in certain parts of this county, a geotech report is required and the report showed the presence of soil with a high shrink-swell potential.

A large map like what you showed cannot possibly show localized areas of shrink-swell soil.

Because of the presence of shrink-swell soil in certain parts of this county, a geotech report is required and the report showed the presence of soil with a high shrink-swell potential.
It's not supposed to but it does indicate the regional differences between the highly expansive vs moderately expansive clay soils.

As you can see Texas is covered with highly expansive clay soils in various concentrations unlike the eastern seaboard. Texas builders aren't going to perform a geotech report on every lot just to see whether that particular lot out of a parcel of X number of lots can handle an in-ground basement.

In any case aside from expansive clay soils, Texas also has shallow bedrock and/or high water tables. Two other reasons why basements aren't built.

As you can see Texas is covered with highly expansive clay soils in various concentrations unlike the eastern seaboard. Texas builders aren't going to perform a geotech report on every lot just to see whether that particular lot out of a parcel of X number of lots can handle an in-ground basement.

The fact is that they build houses with basements in other parts of the country with highly expansive clay soils.

Shallow bedrock and high water tables, as well as perhaps the desire to build the cheapest way possible, are more likely reasons why Texas houses are not typically built with basements.

The fact is that they build houses with basements in other parts of the country with highly expansive clay soils.

Shallow bedrock and high water tables, as well as perhaps the desire to build the cheapest way possible, are more likely reasons why Texas houses are not typically built with basements.
Could say the same pretty much for all of the west.

A house with a true basement on the west coast is a rarity.

Could say the same pretty much for all of the west.

A house with a true basement on the west coast is a rarity.

Whereas on the east coast, or at least this part of it, a house without a basement is usually (not always, but usually) built without a basement to make it cheaper. A more expensive house will almost always have a basement.

It's not supposed to but it does indicate the regional differences between the highly expansive vs moderately expansive clay soils.
I believe the primary reason (but not only) for basements in the north is to get the foundation below the frost line. You can build a basement in expansive clay but it requires a fair bit to stabilize the soil and you need to make sure its properly drained and backfilled with aggregate.

They don't put basements in the South - or out west - because there not needed structurally and expensive. I am sure High end homes they do it, but likely not "builder" quality homes. They don't do it here at all that I have seen - likely due to the low water table.
The additional cost to go from a straight cool ac with heat strips to a heatpump with heatstrips is less than $500 or so, last time I checked. Probably over 10 years it would pay for itself.
More than likely true. $500 up front on a cheap house in the South is likely more than the builder wants to pay and no one is smart enough to pay extra for.

All my houses have had gas heat and DX cool. I think I prefer that to the heat pump as well.

I believe the primary reason (but not only) for basements in the north is to get the foundation below the frost line. You can build a basement in expansive clay but it requires a fair bit to stabilize the soil and you need to make sure its properly drained and backfilled with aggregate.

They don't put basements in the South - or out west - because there not needed structurally and expensive. I am sure High end homes they do it, but likely not "builder" quality homes. They don't do it here at all that I have seen - likely due to the low water table.

Around here you can find houses built on a slab, on a crawlspace, or with a basement. The houses with a basement cost more to build and are worth more. The high end of the market consists primarily of houses with basements.

More than likely true. $500 up front on a cheap house in the South is likely more than the builder wants to pay and no one is smart enough to pay extra for.

All my houses have had gas heat and DX cool. I think I prefer that to the heat pump as well.

If you don't have access to natural gas (pretty much all rural areas--exception is if there's a natural gas transmission pipeline, then they may do a "farm tap"), depending on electric rates, a heat pump may be less expensive to run than a propane or oil furnace. It is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back