Cold wave in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main question is what to do with the darn water tanks?
The tanks are insulated and in theory the attic shouldn’t get *that* cold, and being they’re gas I’d throw them into vacation mode or drop the temp after shutting off water to the house. My uninsulated 60 gallon fish tank was fine for 24-36 hours without power during a really bad winter storm once, it only lost ~10F, the (poorly insulated) house dropped almost 30.

Yes, you are correct. The Texas grid does have some capability to buy or sell power to the neighboring grids, including Mexico, but for the most part Texas does its own thing.
During the worst of times - not much external was available due to the size of the storm …
Once they got into rolling blackouts (not me, we stayed up) - some geniuses cut power to gas facilities … 👀
One of my engineers is in the panhandle - that’s a widespread grid and he stayed online …

The tanks are insulated and in theory the attic shouldn’t get *that* cold, and being they’re gas I’d throw them into vacation mode or drop the temp after shutting off water to the house. My uninsulated 60 gallon fish tank was fine for 24-36 hours without power during a really bad winter storm once, it only lost ~10F, the (poorly insulated) house dropped almost 30.

That is why I mentioned our bay house - it’s empty 75% of the time and always shut the main valve …
Keeping that valve open is the big threat for significant damage that may not be covered by Insurance

I’m not dripping any faucets. Shut down the main valve from the streets and then drain all taps. That’s safer IMO
Left open - that moment arrives 💡 100 miles down the road - honey, we have to go back 👀

That’s what I’ve done , set it to the lowest setting and shut the main water off

Well, the wind has buggered off in California, watching to see what happens in Texas:
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 1.49.47 PM.png

Presently, it's down 10GW from yesterday, or at 25% CF:
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 2.12.02 PM.jpg

What a terrible time to buy an old car. My 93 Shadow just arrived yesterday from Vegas and I bought it an oil pan heater. May look at a battery blanket as well. Moving from Wyoming, I would have never guessed that Texas gets this cold. I moved to get away from it. The joke's on me.

Well, the wind has buggered off in California, watching to see what happens in Texas:
View attachment 131719

Presently, it's down 10GW from yesterday, or at 25% CF:
View attachment 131720

I know bashing Texas is 2nd only to GM - and 2nd only to CA In population - but picture if CA ever got that cold for a few days …
Lots of this lands on the “all electric world” - which I find utterly ridiculous in a state rich with natural gas …

I know bashing Texas is 2nd only to GM - and 2nd only to CA In population - but picture if CA ever got that cold for a few days …
Lots of this lands on the “all electric world” - which I find utterly ridiculous in a state rich with natural gas …
I'm definitely not bashing Texas, I'm just not a fan of high levels of wind penetration because it tends to produce heavy dependence on gas, and often that capacity doesn't run frequently and then gets rushed into service under horrible conditions. This is exasperated in a market like Texas has, since there's little incentive to over-invest in maintenance and winter-proofing of this type of equipment, things are very much run on the ragged edge for the best profit.

I'm definitely not bashing Texas, I'm just not a fan of high levels of wind penetration because it tends to produce heavy dependence on gas, and often that capacity doesn't run frequently and then gets rushed into service under horrible conditions. This is exasperated in a market like Texas has, since there's little incentive to over-invest in maintenance and winter-proofing of this type of equipment, things are very much run on the ragged edge for the best profit.
Well - lots of folks rushed in to defend wind and blame NG … but again our media is not owned by Texans …
Green still gets the green whilst STP sits on an NRC permit but can’t raise cash …

What a terrible time to buy an old car. My 93 Shadow just arrived yesterday from Vegas and I bought it an oil pan heater. May look at a battery blanket as well. Moving from Wyoming, I would have never guessed that Texas gets this cold. I moved to get away from it. The joke's on me.
The cold snaps don't last long here, but we do get them a couple of times each year, and they are usually not extremely cold like Wyoming can get. I do remember a couple of years in the 80's and once in the 90's where it never froze all winter. Climate change has made the hot snaps hotter and the cold snaps colder.

Well - lots of folks rushed in to defend wind and blame NG … but again our media is not owned by Texans …
Green still gets the green whilst STP sits on an NRC permit but can’t raise cash …
Yep, that argument was insane, wind wasn't expected to show up (ERCOT wasn't planning on significant wind capacity) but because a tiny bit did, it was "the saviour" while gas capacity faltered, but still showed up at a much higher level than wind, but it was derided and panned as the reason to invest in more of what wasn't expected to show up... :poop:

STP had a trip due to a frozen sensor line but still was there at 80% capacity and the unit was back online very quickly.

BTW, this is typical. Alberta's wind capacity is at 0.75% right now, as they are having a cold snap and it's -31C in Edmonton:
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 2.38.54 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 2.39.40 PM.jpg

They should have gone ahead and built all four units when the price was a still reasonable $5 billion for two of them. Vogtle is the only nuclear plant under construction in the United States and it has gone over $30 billion. That kind of price has scared all of the investors off.

What I would like to know is don’t some states have co Gen or trash to energy plants? I think New York City had this and used the steak for heat and A/C and electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back