Cold wave in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they at least have a drain pan around them in case they burst? Seems like an odd place to put water heaters that may weigh 500 pounds when full. Is that code legal?
Yes, drain pan is present. I suppose it is legal, bunch of houses around here are built that way

It’s on the slab
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your idea of shutting off the main valve and draining what you can sounds good. Here in Wichita Falls, during that crazy week in Feb 2021 we saw 0 degrees two nights in a row. My power was out for most of that time, but it never got colder than about 50 degrees in the house. People with older homes built over a crawl space were the ones who got the lion's share of the busted pipes.

Do they at least have a drain pan around them in case they burst? Seems like an odd place to put water heaters that may weigh 500 pounds when full. Is that code legal?

It's weird but quite common in the south to put everything in the attic. Water heaters, HVAC ... I guess it helps with space since the house is built on a slab.

Friend of mine owns a Mexican restaurant (building was built in the 1950s) and the water heater and hvac are both in the attic. I had to go up there and check it for her recently.

Attachments

• B90A79AE-B074-4239-924E-C89502978021.jpeg
    B90A79AE-B074-4239-924E-C89502978021.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 69
This is happening again. Temperatures are expected to drop to 15s here up north of Houston. I wouldn’t be as worried, but going out of town for a few days tomorrow. Trying to figure out what to do with the water. Cut it off (shut off valve is in the garage) and drain all faucets? My water heater tanks are in the attic, should they be drained as well? I guess I’d need to turn them off as well?

What would be the right sequence here guys? Last two freezes I was around and no issues to speak of. But now since house will be empty, I’m getting super anxious
Similar to my bay house - I shut in main valve and drain to outside faucets - leave open - (flip breaker to water heater) …

If a single point fails - at least you don’t have major water damage …

Shutting off the water supply is fairly easy I suppose, valve is in the garage. How do I deal with the water tanks? Turn them off first, cut off the water supply in garage, and then open all faucets and let it all drain?
That will not drain the tank, if installed properly it fills from the bottom (via internal pipe) and empties from the top. If you only shut the water off leave the tank on.

It's weird but quite common in the south to put everything in the attic. Water heaters, HVAC ... I guess it helps with space since the house is built on a slab.

I once lived in a townhouse built on a slab. They put the HVAC under the stairs. The house was built by National Birchwood out of New York and it had to be one of the most well built, tightest houses around. Putting any sort of HVAC equipment or ducts in the attic is best avoided if possible.

ours is placed on the ground floor; I've never see it in the attic water heaters; our AC unit is there instead

Shutting off the water supply is fairly easy I suppose, valve is in the garage. How do I deal with the water tanks? Turn them off first, cut off the water supply in garage, and then open all faucets and let it all drain?

You can attach a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank, run it into a sink or bathtub, and open the drain valve and let it drain. Make sure the gas or electric is turned off to the tank before doing this, and do not turn it back on until the tank is refilled (no more air spitting out of the faucets).

You can attach a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank, run it into a sink or bathtub, and open the drain valve and let it drain. Make sure the gas or electric is turned off to the tank before doing this, and do not turn it back on until the tank is refilled (no more air spitting out of the faucets).
Good point - because I did it so often at the bay - had that outlet piped with PVC …
it’s going to leave a bit of water - but have room for expansion …

That will not drain the tank, if installed properly it fills from the bottom (via internal pipe) and empties from the top. If you only shut the water off leave the tank on.
I was just talking to my buddy, and he suggested to shut the water off at the main valve, drain cold water from all faucets, but let the tanks alone. Those tanks are pressure fed, so if there’s no pressure in the system it will just maintain the water temp in the tanks it’s set it. Does that sound reasonable?

This freeze is gonna be both less and more worse. There isn't gonna be any rain forecasted during the low temps so no snow or black ice hopefully but it's gonna get colder than in feb 21 here in northwest houston so we'll see. We lost power at like 3am during the first cold night and that night was 23f not 16f like it's going to be in my area. So this sucks. Gonna go through everything again this year since i know the d*mn ercot circus didn't do anything to reinforce the grid even after almost 2 years.

That’s a nice looking set up! Your attic is spotless!👍
It is ok. But having those tanks on the attic doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy feeling. Having HVAC sitting next to them is even worse, it gets to 130 easily during the summer time and cooling efficiency is taking a huge hit. But, that’s how it was built..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back