Coffee - Your Current Brew

At home, I have this. It’s nice and mellow.

What the hell is " finish " ?

Hey kid, why so sad?
Starbucks and Black Coffee=🙁 I guess it’s good if you like it though. The French roast I’ve been drinking ain’t too bad though. Guess I should try the Starbucks ground stuff from the store but I know I don’t care for their coffee in their shops. Ever since I started making coffee at home that’s all I’ve wanted. Never been able to drink any coffee black though.

Starbucks and Black Coffee=🙁 I guess it’s good if you like it though. The French roast I’ve been drinking ain’t too bad though. Guess I should try the Starbucks ground stuff from the store but I know I don’t care for their coffee in their shops. Ever since I started making coffee at home that’s all I’ve wanted. Never been able to drink any coffee black

Starbucks and Black Coffee=🙁 I guess it’s good if you like it though. The French roast I’ve been drinking ain’t too bad though. Guess I should try the Starbucks ground stuff from the store but I know I don’t care for their coffee in their shops. Ever since I started making coffee at home that’s all I’ve wanted. Never been able to drink any coffee black though.

Most people want milk and sugar. I'm the odd on here.

CA377362-E5ED-4468-9007-0C7291815972.jpeg

My dad turned me on to this a few years ago. Victor Allen. Whenever I try anything else I always come back to this.
My wife gets it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon so it ends up being like 15 cents a cup. Makes her happy.

Starbucks and Black Coffee=🙁 I guess it’s good if you like it though.
Starbucks coffee tastes burnt to me, but I have to admit, I haven't tried their lighter roasts - maybe those are more manageable? The main issue is there is no way to tell when it was actually roasted. Hard to pull a nice espresso shot from stale beans.

In any case, Starbucks is OK until you try some specialty roasters (either local or online) that roast to order. Alas, I am getting into the coffee snob territory here - it's not everyone cup of tea (coffee). :)

Starbucks coffee tastes burnt to me, but I have to admit, I haven't tried their lighter roasts - maybe those are more manageable? The main issue is there is no way to tell when it was actually roasted. Hard to pull a nice espresso shot from stale beans.

In any case, Starbucks is OK until you try some specialty roasters (either local or online) that roast to order. Alas, I am getting into the coffee snob territory here - it's not everyone cup of tea (coffee). :)
I do like a nice Americano with steamed half and half. Not sure if my tongue has recovered from my stupid mistake of taking a big sip right when they pass it out the window last time 😂. The steamed half and half make its extra hot. For the coffee category I’m the ground canned or bagged coffee guy it’s not for everyone but it works for me. I have been trying different ones and I love all of them. I know it may not be the freshest but it’s good for me. Somewhere at home we have a coffee grinder. When I played little league baseball we had a little coffee shop in town that sponsored us and they had some good coffee beans we would grind up at home and make coffee. I sure do miss that place.

037F2543-59F0-4EAD-92BF-47A574D62248.jpeg

Trying another one. I’ve had it before just been a few years. Not too bad. My grandpa from my moms side used to only drink this because it taste good and their last name was Hill. Sadly never got to meet him 🙁. Tomorrow it’s going to be Folgers Black Silk though as it is a good Monday morning coffee because it wakes you up lol. Love that it comes in a metal can. I always keep coffee cans metal or plastic for nuts and bolts and tools and stuff.

View attachment 83021
Trying another one. I’ve had it before just been a few years. Not too bad. My grandpa from my moms side used to only drink this because it taste good and their last name was Hill. Sadly never got to meet him 🙁. Tomorrow it’s going to be Folgers Black Silk though as it is a good Monday morning coffee because it wakes you up lol. Love that it comes in a metal can. I always keep coffee cans metal or plastic for nuts and bolts and tools and stuff.

That was the brand my folks drank with the picture of a Arab sipping coffee. The cans had a key on the bottom that you removed and used to open the metal seal. Break the seal and hear the long hiss of the vacuum escape. The first smell and cup were very good.

That coffee was brewed in a big old Revereware percolator That sat on the stove to keep warm.

View attachment 83021

It was a San Francisco institution before it got sold. My reading of the history is that they went to Nestle and then Sara Lee. But they had their headquarters building and the roasting plant right there near the Bay Bridge. And that was back when The Embarcadero had all these rails along the street everywhere and stuff was still moved to all these industrial businesses by rail.

1955.jpg

It was a San Francisco institution before it got sold. My reading of the history is that they went to Nestle and then Sara Lee. But they had their headquarters building and the roasting plant right there near the Bay Bridge. And that was back when The Embarcadero had all these rails along the street everywhere and stuff was still moved to all these industrial businesses by rail.

1955.jpg

Reading about Hills Brothers, I found a snippet that said they switched to glass jars during World War Two in order that metal would be used for the military.

Folgers Black Silk, for me, mostly. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. At work I usually have Maxwell House, just because it is what's available. But I like it nonetheless.

I'll also say something wildly unpopular....I like decaf sometimes, too. Just for the taste. Please don't stone me for that.

The wife and I like to drink 4-5 cups a morning... each, so we moved to half-caf about two years ago.

We grind our own, always buying whole bean.

We like Peets and then we have landed recently with San Francisco Bay Coffee, water process decaf.

Reading about Hills Brothers, I found a snippet that said they switched to glass jars during World War Two in order that metal would be used for the military.

Having grown up in the area and having visited when the Embarcadero Freeway was still standing, there were two things that were clearly visible along that path - the Hills Bros. sign on the roasting plant, and the Union 76 clock tower.

a73c3c7665023d8f2d52750fa8833c11--francisco-dsouza-clock.jpg

The Hills Bros. headquarters building is still there and occupied by Google. There was a restaurant called Palamino there, but that shuttered a few years ago. Another part of the building was occupied by Gordon Biersch, but their lease wasn't renewed so that Google could move in.

Folgers Black Silk, for me, mostly. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. At work I usually have Maxwell House, just because it is what's available. But I like it nonetheless.

I'll also say something wildly unpopular....I like decaf sometimes, too. Just for the taste. Please don't stone me for that.

I can drink almost anything from third wave to a traditional American coffee that generally bland and inoffensive - kind of like the coffee equivalent of Budweiser or Coors. I don't mind something fairly bold with regional character either. However, what I don't like is something that just tastes off. I've had that before, and it's kind of the coffee equivalent of skunky beer.

I started a coffee roasting company when I was younger with a Toper roaster from Turkey.

I don't care what the bean was, but if you let the freshly roasted coffee de-gas then grind it up and do ANYTHING with it it tasted like nothing you have ever tried.

Filter, espresso, bodum... It was like candy, a baked good.

If you ever walk down the street and see a coffee roaster in the window that has a chimney hookup, ask when they roast.

Then buy a bag of whatever they scoop out of the cooling bin right after they dump it out.

People even buy green beans and roast them in a cast iron skillet.

Coffee goes stale in exactly the same manner as a baked good.

You can't put your fingure on why, but freshness is 99% of the flavor that is lost when you buy coffee that was roasted, say, last year.

Now that I have had the absolute best, and did it with my own hands, I now enjoy the simple compromise of Maxwell House on sale.

Instant coffee will give me a gag reflex though, when I used to like it when I was camping. So that is wrecked for me.

I preferred all the beans you could get from Africa... Nice solid flavor, such as Kenya AA.

You mixed that with any lesser bean and you had a nice blend.

Coffee keeps me up, and makes me antsy, so I stick to 2 cups a day in the early morning before work.

Coffee, beer, women. Science has yet to catch up.

Working yesterday in NOLA, had this coffee yesterday morning with the French doughnuts. Really glad I tried this world famous place. Would definitely stop by again if I had time to kill and and in the area, but would not go out of my way to return.

BTW- the outdoor seating was spotless. No flies, even with all that powder sugar hitting the tables and ground. They Café seemed to work real proactively to keep things clean.

View attachment 68505
I like French market coffee with chicory+

Back