Coffee - Your Current Brew

After making several trips to Brazil in 2013&14 my wife and I became fond of their coffee. We buy Pilao off of Amazon. It’s good stuff very find grind.

5EF59E60-97B3-4CB4-9B90-14DDCD668220.png
Just my $0.02

04BB41CA-7AA1-40B5-9519-3D27763B3E44.jpeg
EC3BE97A-6761-4184-99DE-61588962EC84.jpeg

Been drinking these the last few days. The Gevalia isn’t too bad taste good. Didn’t think I would like it since it’s not in a can. The Kona blend is interesting to say the least haha. But still good.

Reactions: hrv
Well, over 7 years after I started the thread, my routine hasn’t changed much.

Luckily I married a girl who’s as much of a coffee lover as I am!

Our 2 go-to roasts are Eight ‘O Clock Coffee 100% Colombian, and Dunkin Donuts Original.

I like the Colombian in the morning, as it’s a medium roast, and usually prefer the Dunkin Donuts (lighter roast) in the afternoon/evening.

Similar to motor oils, I like coffee beans that are readily available and economical on the shelf at Walmart, and these 2 companies do a great job of getting the beans on the store shelves while they’re still very fresh (of course, whole bean is a must).

My routine is pretty standard: Always grind beans immediately before brewing, and use filtered water. And, of course, we always drink our coffee black.

Method of brewing is either with the BUNN Velocity Brew (if you’re a coffee person, you absolutely need one of these, IMHO), which is just your standard automatic pour-over machine, just a home version of what’s in your office break room, and if theres a machine that makes a better cup of coffee in less time (full pot takes 3 min), im unaware of it, or with our manual pour-over, using the OXO electric kettle, which heats up to 40 fl oz of water to the ideal 205°F in 5 min or less (takes max of 5 min because I use filtered water from our ZeroWater dispenser in the fridge).

We do occasionally splurge on a bag or 2 of fresh-roasted beans that have been roasted VERY recently, from one of several local shops/roasters. We always choose a light (or, medium, at the darkest) roast.

BUNN Velocity Brew:

Bodum 34-oz Pour-Over:

Mr. Coffee Automatic Burr Grinder:

OXO Electric Pour Over Kettle:

You can spend a lot on coffeemakers and grinders and beans. Personally I don’t think it’s necessary unless you just WANT to.

I think the above beans and equipment is sort of the “Mobil 1“ of coffee. Readily available at Walmart, not very expensive, but still very good.

BTW, the BUNN Velocity Brew I bought in 2013 is still going strong!

Anybody else use these beans, or grinder, or coffeemakers?

What do you use?
I found a deal on a rebadged Melitta called a Motif Essentials. It brews to the SCA Golden Cup standard. $50...I bought 2. One for each home. It's no frills, no timer but it does have a pre-infusion mode and a cleaning cycle option. I bought two of these flat burr grinders. They were about $50 each. They are quite precise and consistent with the grind but fling some grounds around in the process. I have found Peets Major Dickason at Costco to be be consistently good. The Kirkland whole bean stuff is AOK too.

Feima-Coffee-Grinder-600N-610N-_1_2000x.jpgimageService.jpegdownload (1).jpegimages (2).jpeg

Attachments

• qeqdkirwjhribbgffwbv.jpg
    qeqdkirwjhribbgffwbv.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
That’s interesting! I would have thought flat burr grinders would be more expensive. How consistent is the grind? The problem with some of the cheaper burr grinders is that while the majority of the grind is at the level of coarseness you want, quite a bit of “fines” are still produced, which is what causes harshness and unpleasant taste.

Your Melitta looks like a clone of a Technivorm MoccaMaster. I like the fact that you can select a pre-infusion mode. I read about this and decided to try it, and now I do it with the BUNN on every pot. I’ve found that it makes the coffee richer and adds depth vs. not doing it.
I found a deal on a rebadged Melitta called a Motif Essentials. It brews to the SCA Golden Cup standard. $50...I bought 2. One for each home. It's no frills, no timer but it does have a pre-infusion mode and a cleaning cycle option. I bought two of these flat burr grinders. They were about $50 each. They are quite precise and consistent with the grind but fling some grounds around in the process. I have found Peets Major Dickason at Costco to be be consistently good. The Kirkland whole bean stuff is AOK too.View attachment 79576View attachment 79577View attachment 79578View attachment 79579
I found a deal on a rebadged Melitta called a Motif Essentials. It brews to the SCA Golden Cup standard. $50...I bought 2. One for each home. It's no frills, no timer but it does have a pre-infusion mode and a cleaning cycle option. I bought two of these flat burr grinders. They were about $50 each. They are quite precise and consistent with the grind but fling some grounds around in the process. I have found Peets Major Dickason at Costco to be be consistently good. The Kirkland whole bean stuff is AOK too.View attachment 79576View attachment 79577View attachment 79578View attachment 79579

That’s interesting! I would have thought flat burr grinders would be more expensive. How consistent is the grind? The problem with some of the cheaper burr grinders is that while the majority of the grind is at the level of coarseness you want, quite a bit of “fines” are still produced, which is what causes harshness and unpleasant taste.

Your Melitta looks like a clone of a Technivorm MoccaMaster. I like the fact that you can select a pre-infusion mode. I read about this and decided to try it, and now I do it with the BUNN on every pot. I’ve found that it makes the coffee richer and adds depth vs. not doing it.
I think they attempted to produce a knockoff of sorts of the Moccamaster. I believe it was produced as an exclusive brand for Seattle coffee gear and when they dropped it, the inventory was sold to a clearance outfit...Morningsave.com.
The grinder produces very consistent grind. I set it at 3.5 and it provides excellent consistency...there may be fines and there is a sifter that can be used with it. I've got one but don't use it as the coffee is consistently good every pot.
These grinders are extremely popular in Asia, Japan, the Philippines etc... They are sold under various brands, Feima, Latina, Flying Horse, Xeoleo.
When one of these Motif/Melitta machines dies, I'm plunking down the cash for a Moccamaster. They're both 2 years old and still going strong. strong. I bought a 5lb. bag of citric acid on Amazon to clean and clean/descale.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-052509_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-052509_AliExpress.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 6
......but fling some grounds around in the process.
Is it possibly static doing the flinging. If it is couple things to try, only put enough beans in the hopper for the pot you are making, don't store the beans in the hopper. After you add the beans try a few drops of water. I do this with my grinder other wise when I pull the bin out it flings grounds all over the place.

Is it possibly static doing the flinging. If it is couple things to try, only put enough beans in the hopper for the pot you are making, don't store the beans in the hopper. After you add the beans try a few drops of water. I do this with my grinder other wise when I pull the bin out it flings grounds all over the place.
I've tried a few things. A reason dipped in water and than stuck in the bean hopes helps. Also, I don't use the OEM plastic bin which catches the grounds. I use a stainless cup.

My daily coffee at work comes from a nice little ebay roasting company, "bluemacawcoffeeroasters" who will roast your order and ship it same day. 5 roasted pounds for less than $50 delivered isn't bad and it tastes great. They also offer unroasted beans if you have the time/desire to roast your own. I used to but i am so lazy now that i don't even grind. They will ship you whole bean or ground.

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 8
Drinking some Trader Joe's Medium Roast from whole beans. It was $4.99 for 14 oz. Has a nice nutty taste. You have to drink cheap once in a while to appreciate the good stuff. I think the name is just "Joes" BTW all the coffee prices have gone up a buck at Trader Joe's 🥺

00E8B55C-2F55-4255-9EE2-645869B04B0F.jpeg
F66737D8-499F-44BA-AE78-7318FA46EABD.jpeg
0F4FBBC7-5C13-4612-B16F-E2654D3E5621.jpeg

All different ones I tried over the past week. All of them are good. The French roast and Black Silk will knock your socks off for sure. I fiddled with them trying to tone it down by using less but the dark roasts will do that I guess. Everyone at my work really likes the Black Silk so i figured I’d try it. I picked up a small can to insure I like it. Dad likes it pretty well too. The West Rock is pretty good as well. They had several blends we will try more in the future just we had enough coffee already haha. ☕️. Next I want to find a good breakfast blend to try. I bought the French roast one because it looked interesting and I was happy to see they gave money to the troops. Will be buying it in the future too. They only have it at Walmart in my area.

For you guys the have to buy beans online I can't recommend this guy enough or if you are in the Kansas City area.

He sells 12oz bags or 2lb bags, I always buy 2 2lb bags to try and keep shipping costs down.

This time of year, it’s Starbucks Christmas Blend. I do like this blend that includes Sumatra sourced beans.

If not that, some small batch coffee from the local shop my youngest manages.

The shop has a pretty awesome Cuban sandwich as well, so I try to stop for lunch when I can.

Reactions: hrv
This time of year, it’s Starbucks Christmas Blend. I do like this blend that includes Sumatra sourced beans.

If not that, some small batch coffee from the local shop my youngest manages.

The shop has a pretty awesome Cuban sandwich as well, so I try to stop for lunch when I can.
The Christmas blend is real good....

Starbucks french roast for me. About 30 years or so. First had it when I was a lot younger on a trip to San Diego. I had not seen it on the east coast.

Black, no sug, no milk. Awesome sauce right there.

At home, I have this. It’s nice and mellow.

Back