Coffee - Your Current Brew

Went to Trader Joe's the other day. Picked up a bag of 50% Tanzania Peaberry medium roast and 50% Columbian Peaberry light roast, Very nice for change of pace coffee.

Yeah, I may have to do that as well. I'm down to the finest grind setting, and still can't grind the beans fine enough to slow the extraction flow.
Is your grinder adjustable or need new burrs? I know my Virtuoso can be taken apart and adjusted. I've had it for almost 10 years and started off on setting 20 for drip/pour over and now I'm down to 14 to get the same grind.

I'm out of "Rand Brand" now, so back to the organic Costco stuff (I can never match the quality of @Quattro Pete's pictures, lol).
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_142c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_142e.jpg

Gave up coffee 3 weeks ago. The caffeine was making me jitter and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. Been a coffee drinker for 15 years with no issues.

I’m a tea drinker now. Don’t get the caffeine spikes and the jitters are gone.

I've had to clean my grinder twice now that I've been ordering from Red Bird in the last couple months, those oily beans really muck up the burrs and can make coffee taste horrible.

The oily beans tend to do that.

Have you had a chance to brew up their Costa Rica yet?

The oily beans tend to do that.

Have you had a chance to brew up their Costa Rica yet?
I have tried both of them, the Willow is a little sweeter than the La Magnolia but both are typical of a Costa Rica bean, very easy to drink with no strong after taste.

Now that I've been though six pounds from Red Bird one thing I have noticed is their beans need more resting time after roasting. Usually most beans are ready four or five days after roasting these seem to take a few more days before they reveal their flavors. Either it has something to do with the roaster they use or the fact that their medium roasts are a little darker than my previous roaster. 🤷‍♂️

I'm getting ready to place another order with them today, while I tend to stick with central and south American beans I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and try the Ethiopia Yirgacheffee 1 Banko Fuafuate.

I have tried both of them, the Willow is a little sweeter than the La Magnolia but both are typical of a Costa Rica bean, very easy to drink with no strong after taste.

Now that I've been though six pounds from Red Bird one thing I have noticed is their beans need more resting time after roasting. Usually most beans are ready four or five days after roasting these seem to take a few more days before they reveal their flavors. Either it has something to do with the roaster they use or the fact that their medium roasts are a little darker than my previous roaster. 🤷‍♂️

I'm getting ready to place another order with them today, while I tend to stick with central and south American beans I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and try the Ethiopia Yirgacheffee 1 Banko Fuafuate.

Interesting that you mention the rest time. I was talking to someone last Sunday and she gets her coffee from Dillanos which is a local roaster here in the Puget Sound area. They have a store at the plant which I wasn’t aware of. I plan to visit them someday. The person at Dillanos also mentioned a resting period after roasting.

I’m going to try that Costa Rica Willow along with the Sweet Blue and another variety I haven’t decided on yet.

Interesting that you mention the rest time. I was talking to someone last Sunday and she gets her coffee from Dillanos which is a local roaster here in the Puget Sound area. They have a store at the plant which I wasn’t aware of. I plan to visit them someday. The person at Dillanos also mentioned a resting period after roasting.

I’m going to try that Costa Rica Willow along with the Sweet Blue and another variety I haven’t decided on yet.
I just ordered another bag of that Sweet Blue, it is a really tasty cup. The Guatemala Huehuetenango is really good, you should try it.

Right after roasting the off gassing of the carbon dioxide is so intense it gets in the way of the extraction, the longer the bean sits after roasting the less it off gasses, this is also why beans loose flavor over time. The guru's say there is only a couple weeks in a beans life that are "perfect" for brewing.

If you like sweeter beans look for the ones that are honey processed. The Guatemala I mention is honey processed.

The guru's say there is only a couple weeks in a beans life that are "perfect" for brewing.
For me, it's from about 5 days after roasting to about 30 days after roasting. After that I usually can't get decent crema out of my espresso machine.

Freezing can help prolong this window.

I just ordered another bag of that Sweet Blue, it is a really tasty cup. The Guatemala Huehuetenango is really good, you should try it.

Right after roasting the off gassing of the carbon dioxide is so intense it gets in the way of the extraction, the longer the bean sits after roasting the less it off gasses, this is also why beans loose flavor over time. The guru's say there is only a couple weeks in a beans life that are "perfect" for brewing.

If you like sweeter beans look for the ones that are honey processed. The Guatemala I mention is honey processed.

That Guatemala sounds good. I’ll add that to the list.

For me, it's from about 5 days after roasting to about 30 days after roasting. After that I usually can't get decent crema out of my espresso machine.

Freezing can help prolong this window.
I agree, after about 4 weeks I can tell the beans start loosing flavor. If I had a local place that roasted decent beans I would buy more often but ordering online I have to consider shipping cost so I order 3 pounds at a time that lasts about 5 weeks.

My latest order of Redbird was delivered yesterday. On the suggestion of @Duffyjr I bought a bag of this.

I brewed this up this morning using the usual pour over process. This is a really nice cup of coffee. Very smooth. I caught some cereal overtones along with a slight citrus taste.

I will try to increase the grind time a little on this one as I ground it coarse this morning. My water was just off the boil as I usually use hotter water for medium roasts as this one is or lighter roasts.

This one is a keeper.

My latest order of Redbird was delivered yesterday. On the suggestion of @Duffyjr I bought a bag of this.

I brewed this up this morning using the usual pour over process. This is a really nice cup of coffee. Very smooth. I caught some cereal overtones along with a slight citrus taste.

I will try to increase the grind time a little on this one as I ground it coarse this morning. My water was just off the boil as I usually use hotter water for medium roasts as this one is or lighter roasts.

This one is a keeper.
It is very good, I just opened a new bag this morning that was roasted on the 7th. Every roaster I have ordered a Huehuetenango from has been very good to excellent, something about that region that puts out excellent beans. Grinding it a little finer will slow the brew down and should bring out more flavor, I get sweet chocolate and little nutty tastes but I get floral/citrus on the nose.

Glad you liked it.

Picked this up over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_190913777_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210830_190913777_resize.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210830_190922668_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210830_190922668_resize.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210830_190940575_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210830_190940575_resize.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday I visited the store at Dillanos which is a major roaster located not far from me. The store is in their lobby. This place is huge.

I picked up two bags of coffee. One was their Sumatra dark roast which I brewed a cup of after getting home. Very nice.

The other was a single origin from Peru which doesn’t get the publicity the other coffee nations get.

This was a surprise. The roast says medium but I would say it’s a medium dark. I brewed a pot of this early this morning. This is a really nice and smooth cup. Full of flavor. It comes across as sweet.

Dillanos mainly serves coffee shops and stands. You won’t see it in stores but it is available online. I highly recommend them. Chances are you may have drank their coffee but didn’t know it.

Back