Cleaning oil for older powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That oil could potentialy save an engine thus saving owner a lot of money and labour in engine rebuild, high price for oil yes but engine repair is a lot more money...
It makes sense to fill the sump of a Cummins powered big rig once every 150,000mi or so that's making you money but dropping nearly $400 on an oil change on a 7.3 that sounds like it's running fine but the owner is just obsessing about engine cleanliness is probably not a great use of resources and that $400 would probably be better spent on other issues that were noted rather than obsessing over how clean the engine internals are.

If you're getting that kind of mileage and it runs like it should, there is no need for short OCIs to "clean" it. Just run it, do 5k changes on the HDEO of your choice, and go forward. Motorcraft 15w-40 has a little better add pack than Rotella as far as phosphorus and Zinc, but Rotella is fine. The 7.3 is a stout motor. Just don't do long intervals because it is an HUEI engine and clean oil is paramount. 3k is too short, unless you just like changing oil for fun.

Like what? I never heard of engines fail due to excessive idle. Pehaps they clog up EGR faster due to less efficient combustion.
A diesel engine's longevity is relatively affected by extended idle time, if unassisted by say, a coolant heater during overnight idle, for example.

The link below is a bit nit picky, but the basic info is solid.

Look into Amsoil Marine/Diesel series-its the only stuff that stays in our '07 6.0 which we bought new, motorhome -also check out Stanadyne Performance additive, 150k zero oil consumption and original injectors plus about 60% better fuel economy than the V10. The big BUT is that in the vans the PowerJoke has very limited room for the radiators and air filters and had to be detuned big time-changing the upper fuel filter is a ; treat.......

A diesel engine's longevity is relatively affected by extended idle time, if unassisted by say, a coolant heater during overnight idle, for example.

The link below is a bit nit picky, but the basic info is solid.

In the oilfields and along the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, diesel trucks and equipment are kept running around-the-clock for days and weeks at a time when temps hit -30 to -35 degs F. Back in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's, I remember a few of our pipeline diesel service pickup trucks (Chevy and Ford 3/4 and 1-ton) running for a rough 90k to 100K miles before being sold.

I must admit that these trucks were serviced often, sometimes every two-weeks to 1 month for oil changes and other service items (we field technicians drove their trucks an average of 2500 to 3000 miles every two-week hitch). They were reliable in worst the arctic had to dish out -- and the arctic dished it out. I saw blizzards where I couldn't see past my hood, creeping and feeling my way down ice-roads. I entered into a windstorm where I should have been blown off the road, flipped, and killed -- winds estimated at 130 to 150 mph at 0 degs F (my F-350's cab-high Snugtop cap was RIPPED off by the windstorm). I've driven in small convoys where the pump station temps measured -55 to -65 degs F. All these were braved to keep the pipeline's fiber optic data transport network carrying its SCADA traffic working and an estimated $50M of oil per day flowing. The harrowing stories abound, but these are the highlights. I thank God for great mechanics (paid well!) and expertly maintained arctic-outfitted work trucks, to include the arctic-rated fluids used.

Last edited:
I think you’re likely charging at windmills wanting to clean up an already clean engine. Although it’s awkward getting to the rear bolts(not sure about an ambulance) I’d pull one of the valve covers and take a look. I would not add anything like MMM or Seafoam, the high pressure oil pump runs at 2500 psi or so and does not like additives.

Last edited:
Excessive idle does NOT hurt the older emissions diesel engines. I call BS, no matter what any article says. real world to me, of which I have alot, shows me that "well oiled machine" applies to the older diesels (7.3, 5.9 Cummins, etc). As long as they are maintained well, engines with high idle hours do not affect longevity of said motor. Ask the guys, like myself, who have very high mileage engines that run impeccably. Throw an EGR or DPF on there, different story. One of the BEST running 7.3s I owned came off of a drill rig company that idled and ran from 6am to 8pm at night, every day, for a few years. I bought it, drove it for another 3 years and 100k miles and then sold it to a buddy. It still is running very well, no new injectors, no engine rebuilds, nothing. Just oil changes, a clutch, good maintenance, and keeps on trucking. The ones that are "weekend warriors" or have been "babied" will make me runt he other way as fast as I can go. been there, done that.

I've answered this question so many times---bottom line just DON'T!!!! Its not needed nor recommended. I have owned more Powerstrokes than I can remember, have a pretty decent size fleet currently and own a retail service center which has many city and county contracts to maintain police cars, city vehs, school buses and ambulances. Been doing this 30 years. But what do I know?

Just don't.

I will admit to being severely a/r, o/c about oil changes with our '07 6.0-E450 rv-about every 4k max miles using Amsoil for the last 100k or so, yes I really do know I have way-way overdone it but one does what one must do.

A question for the smart people here-as the miles start to rack up (currently about 150k) what should be the change interval for engine oil and fuel filters-ours have always gotten done at every second oil change which would be roughly every 8k miles MAX, usually significantly south of that number. Sure wish someone made a kit to relocate the upper filter I can count on it being at least a six can job- its terrible............. If you let it drain for a few hours you really can get all of the 4 gallons out.

And this, for an engine that has seen very frequent synthetic oil changes, beginning at 800 miles, what might one expect with a switch to dyno oil at even a more frequent change interval ?

If I am able to find a conventional oil that stays in the engine of course.

I will admit to being severely a/r, o/c about oil changes with our '07 6.0-E450 rv-about every 4k max miles using Amsoil for the last 100k or so, yes I really do know I have way-way overdone it but one does what one must do.

A question for the smart people here-as the miles start to rack up (currently about 150k) what should be the change interval for engine oil and fuel filters-ours have always gotten done at every second oil change which would be roughly every 8k miles MAX, usually significantly south of that number. Sure wish someone made a kit to relocate the upper filter I can count on it being at least a six can job- its terrible............. If you let it drain for a few hours you really can get all of the 4 gallons out.

And this, for an engine that has seen very frequent synthetic oil changes, beginning at 800 miles, what might one expect with a switch to dyno oil at even a more frequent change interval ?

In regards to oci. Sample and send in your oil. No better dictator than that. I’m sure your good to go 5-6k without any worry. Then sample and send in. Let the science tell you

OCIs do not increase or decrease with age. I highly suggest you follow the intervals for normal service use in the owners manuals. If i maintained my fleet to the level you are I would go broke. I wish I had as much money as you do to literally pour down the drain--well in this case the used oil / recycle drain. I don't mean to be offensive but stop wasting money, your time and resources. I'm not a green nut but it seems silly to waste resources for no reason.

You are getting NO benefit from synthetic in your diesel. Look at the lab reports I posted in the other forum using the same truck and different oils. The dino 15w40 performed equally as well and in some areas better than the 5W40 full syn. I run the cheapest filters.

No offense but at 100,000 miles your PSD isnt even broken in yet. My fleet of Ford's with the PSD do between 200-250k miles per year. I keep a truck 3 years. The PSD is a true million mile engine.

If you have oil anxiety or OCD get counseling or medication because its probably affecting more than just your oil change standards. If you are really worried send off a sample for lab analysis and it will ease your fears.

Use the OLM onboard the truck. It adjusts for heavy use and hard driving . On my PSD trucks getting single digit fuel economy the OLM triggers an oil change around 10-12k miles. On my F450s with highway gearing getting 13-14mpg loaded the OLM triggers around 14k miles or so. All oil analysis shows the oil is still around 50% life left on the oil--so its hardly used up at all. I am experimenting stretching the OCIs past the OLM to 25k or so based on the science.

My trucks run between 20-24hrs per day...everyday....with drivers that floor it every green light....and I maintain them to normal duty service intervals strictly per the book.

I do want to note I do believe syn oils in gas engines are beneficial especially in high compression, direct injected and / or those w turbos. I have not seen any benefit to running syn or syn blend in diesels. When full syn 5W40 came out I started running it in my diesels. My bulk oil is Mag1. I also maintained my tow trucks to the severe duty intervals. After evaluating and doing testing I realized as hard as we abuse our trucks per Ford's definition we fit normal service and I was wasting money with the severe duty schedule. I switch to 10w30 syn blend oil for about 2 years. More testing and I have now to bulk 15w40 dino and the lap reports are excellent.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There are snake oils, and there are additives that work. Throwing blanket statements on all without ever trying them or testing for yourself doesn't really add any credibility to your statements and "facts". Did you know that Toyota (and many other manufacturers) actually have their own line of additives? Sold only at authorized dealerships. Did you also know that multiple manufacturers had to adjust their Owner Manual recommendations after owners had issues with vehicles despite following the manufacturer's guidelines? Yup, everyone makes mistakes, even manufacturers. And credible additive manufacturing companies are there to help fix those mistakes, or correct the lack of maintenance caused by neglect.
There are snake oils, but there are also additives that have their place. Just because you don't use any doesn't mean they all suck. How would you know an additives performance and ability to fulfill claims if you never tried that additive?

IMO, that's the best Diesel engine Ford ever put in a vehicle. Owned one for many years. Only maintenance that was out of the ordinary was a camshaft position sensor (known issue). I only had one fail, easy roadside fix as it'll leave you stranded. I kept a spare in the glovebox just in case. Also, don't forget to keep the cooling system well maintained by adding SCA at regular maintenance intervals (hint: get an SCA test kit - they're cheap and well worth it IMO). If you don't the engine will meet an early grave relative to its MTBF - 500,000 miles IIRC.

Flush the cooling system "Properly" and fill with E.L.C. There are coolant plugs on both sides of the block on the bottom. 1999 and above can use H.D. Diesel E.L.C.

I'm about to do my 4th coolant change in 18 years and all I do is visually look at my coolant reservoir, no other PH maintenance.

And you are correct, the 7.3L Navistar engine is the best engine a Ford Truck has ever had in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back