Cleaning oil for older powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first diesel, it's a 2002 e450, as an ambulance, andI I'm looking for a recommendation, I'd like to run something that is good for a relatively short oci, at cleaning up the internals of an older powerstroke. Specifically a 2002 7.3.

I know heavy duty engine oils have decent cleaning properties, but I figure if I'm going to be going through all the filters and whatnot anyway, I might as well run a short oci, with something extra Stout for cleaning.

I like Rotella T4 for my heavy duty stuff. They have a T6 that is synthetic and a T5 that’s synthetic blend if you prefer that. Let’s see some pictures of the ambulance.

I like Rotella T4 for my heavy duty stuff. They have a T6 that is synthetic and a T5 that’s synthetic blend if you prefer that. Let’s see some pictures of the ambulance.

It's a 2002 medtec 106k on it, and it was in service with a suburb until 2017, or 15 years. Fire service, so hours are low, and rust is low, although corrosion is.... The box is going to need some paintwork. It looks way better than it doesn't real life in this picture.

I work on ambulances for my 9:00 to 5:00, but the oldest ones I ever got exposed to were the tail end of the 6.0 era. Our fleet always ran a mobil 5W-30, and the only hdeo I've used otherwise is t6 in my KLR
IMG_20210322_194915_01.jpg

What specifically are you going to do with that ambulance?
Rv it, but more like a gear hauler/ camp kitchen

It got 17.95 mpg on the last highway stretch home, so I could daily it, it gets better mpg than my xj

Also going to be a cross country road trip vehicle, we have family everywhere

I've owned a Mahindra 6000 tractor for almost 20 years. I use a quart of MMO Periodically for a few hours work just before an oil change.

Hello, I am very hesitant to push our products on this site but I do have a good answer for you. We have 10 powerstrokes Ranging from 1997 to 2021 excluding the 6.4's. We use our own HD15W40 which has a pretty stout additive package and also includes an ester for seal swell balance and the esters also keep the engines clean. We run 25,000 mile oil changes and throw away good oil. I simply change the oil on the 25's on the odometer, no need for an oil sticker in the window. We are fortunate to have a good relationship with Brian at BTS who is pretty fantastic in the Powerstroke and E4OD, 4R100, and 5R100 department. What he will tell you is that the engines on our HD run very clean, the injector O rings are pliable when coming out instead of brittle, Cooler O rings that normally leak, don't leak, and engines that he sees with north of 200,000 miles the bores look noticeably better than what he is used to seeing. Transmissions are a whole different topic.

If you are looking to do a quicker clean up we do make an ester based oil with similar chemistry that can be added to your existing oil which will allow you to clean up in a cheap oil before upgrading.

David

Hello, I am very hesitant to push our products on this site but I do have a good answer for you. We have 10 powerstrokes Ranging from 1997 to 2021 excluding the 6.4's. We use our own HD15W40 which has a pretty stout additive package and also includes an ester for seal swell balance and the esters also keep the engines clean. We run 25,000 mile oil changes and throw away good oil. I simply change the oil on the 25's on the odometer, no need for an oil sticker in the window. We are fortunate to have a good relationship with Brian at BTS who is pretty fantastic in the Powerstroke and E4OD, 4R100, and 5R100 department. What he will tell you is that the engines on our HD run very clean, the injector O rings are pliable when coming out instead of brittle, Cooler O rings that normally leak, don't leak, and engines that he sees with north of 200,000 miles the bores look noticeably better than what he is used to seeing. Transmissions are a whole different topic.

If you are looking to do a quicker clean up we do make an ester based oil with similar chemistry that can be added to your existing oil which will allow you to clean up in a cheap oil before upgrading.

David
Are your products sold overseas like Europe, or is it possible to ship to Europe?

Personally I use any cheap oil like 15w40 and add marvel mystery oil or a little bit of seafoam.
I've never used motor flushes because I think they are too harsh.

David

There’s your answer. A product designed specifically for the task you want performed from a company that makes great stuff.

Nice purchase. Over on a few 6.0L forums there are several people buying the 6.0L versions and modifying them into RV type vehicles. Some really NICE conversions (one in particular by a guy in Germany).

IMO, that's the best Diesel engine Ford ever put in a vehicle. Owned one for many years. Only maintenance that was out of the ordinary was a camshaft position sensor (known issue). I only had one fail, easy roadside fix as it'll leave you stranded. I kept a spare in the glovebox just in case. Also, don't forget to keep the cooling system well maintained by adding SCA at regular maintenance intervals (hint: get an SCA test kit - they're cheap and well worth it IMO). If you don't the engine will meet an early grave relative to its MTBF - 500,000 miles IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back