Cleaning K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you usu diluted Purple Stuff to clean it (K&N Filter)or do you have to use the K&N cleaner? It says any non-caustic soap will do. Dish soap wasn't strong enough because it didn't remove the dye from the oil that was already on the filter. Thanks for the help.

I agree, use the K&N it is not the expensive. However, in the past when I was out of the cleaner, I did use a 50/50 mix of simple green and water and it did pretty good. While the cleaner you use may not mean much to the filter - the oil you use should atleast be the K&N oil. And do not over oil it. Light coats - I prefer the aresol can to do this right. It's too easy to over oil with the squirt bottle.
Just my opinion, not gospel
smile.gif

LT4 Vette has a good idea. I'm gonna try some Fantastic next time I clean the K&N on my vette!

amazing how people take advice here from a faceless name that may or may not be qualified to say anything about anything.

I would re-oil using Amsoils high tack oil that they make for their foam filters, this will make the filter hold onto finer particulates and increase the filtering efficiency.

I would just throw the KN away and use a filter that is gonna protect your engine better.
hornets_nest.gif

K&N told me that Simple Green is too strong...so I'd just stick with the real stuff to play it safe.
dunno.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'm going with the Simple Green and Trans fluid.
hat is what I do with mine.
Flush it good with water and let it dry before oiling

Originally Posted By: norseman
I would just throw the KN away and use a filter that is gonna protect your engine better.

Is there any evidence that K&N filters don't protect an engine? Because I've had a few of them, and the engines seemed to be in perfect shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back