Cleaning deceased MIL condo and found $15K cash

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
hallstevenson,

She only had 2 children, one died of cancer and the other is my wife.

So far we found $28K. Crisp brand new bills as far back as 1995.

I know she was worried about SS reducing her retirement income but this is ridiculous. We are going inch by inch of her condo and nothing in the cookie jar .... but cash found in dog mattress. I wish she would of left everything in her bank and listed my wife as TOD / POD to easily transfer the money.

even if amounts under $10,000, if a lot of transactions, it will raise the warnings in any bank system worth it's salt....

What is the IRS limit to a one-time lifetime gift?

Tell the IRS? FEDS zippo about family manners. The Money was subject to taxation ONCE - that's enough!

They may want to make it their business - but its NONE of their business.

If it was not said before, check all the books on shelves for money, Backs of pictures. Pull out drawers and check behind and under them. Check the freezer as well.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Tell the IRS? FEDS zippo about family manners. The Money was subject to taxation ONCE - that's enough!

They may want to make it their business - but its NONE of their business.

Exactly !!!!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
That. In fact, I'd try to get this thread nuked.

That is what I would do.

I would never post in a public forum anything of this sort.
You would be amazed how easy it is to find out stuff about people.

I already deposited $_____ the other day in our credit union. Teller says that's a nice amount to deposit.... I said I sold a car and would only take CA$H.

I'll take a photo of the rest of the cash.

Teller probably noted that down on her computer that the cash came from selling your car. If the transaction ever gets flagged, you will have to back up your story.

Last edited:
I posted a few months ago on BITOG about trading in 2 cars at the dealer on a new car or just putting both of them on CL for private sale.

I did the second and sold both cars.

$8000 already deposited. Approximately $19K in this photo.

E0606569-3D2A-44EC-9FBE-FE07315FBE72.jpeg

I already deposited $_____ the other day in our credit union. Teller says that's a nice amount to deposit.... I said I sold a car and would only take CA$H.

I'll take a photo of the rest of the cash.

I hope that was under 10G's, brother. And I hope you know WHY.

OOops! posted before I saw the pic above

Crazy you posted a pic, MAN!

Not used to a little cash?

Feeling … RaNdY ! ?

Last edited:
I'm selling a 2005 base RSX soon, maybe I'll put it on BITOG.

Red with black cloth interior, sunroof, 5 speed manual with upgraded Alpine stereo and speakers. Only 117K miles. Never raced or wrecked. I'll post photos of that car after I was and was it.
wink.gif

Luckily we don't need the cash, all of it is for the grandkids 529 Plan.

My BIL did home inspections for a while, found a full set of silver flatware in the fancy velvet-lined hardwood box stashed above the scuttlehole in the attic of one vacant property he inspected. Never know what you'll find.

He never did say who wound up with the silver service....

Meh, thats kind of disappointing to be honest. I had a job once where I ended up having to deposit $40k of $2 bills at the bank. Brown paper bag and everything.

Alzheimer? My grandma used to do that when she hit 85 or so, she would lock her door and put a chair behind it, then a bucket of water on top of the chair. She'd also hide coins, because paper money can be fake...

The older you get...

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Meh, thats kind of disappointing to be honest. I had a job once where I ended up having to deposit $40k of $2 bills at the bank. Brown paper bag and everything.

I would rather of found $0 and she left all the money in the bank. Now its more work for us.

Back