CK-4 Diesel Oil for old 6.0l PowerStroke?

Last 2 charts .... for Schaeffer 9000 and Valvoline PBE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sdude2k2000
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree though with the statement that higher quality 5w40 will hold their viscosity better and for longer.

My personal UOA's... 5k or less... M1 TDT

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...werstroke-4300mi-m1-tdt-5w40#Post3708174

Do you have more data? You have two data points and they are fairly different numbers (66.7 and 64.6). Oh, and if you add stiction additives it will affect the numbers - reduces viscosity. I have very little motivation to react to any single data point. Trends on the other hand are very important to pay attention to.

Fuel dilution is another thing to watch. I see you didn't have any, and that is good. None of my data includes samples from oil with fuel dilution. Another thing that can affect the oil viscosity somewhat is driving habits and being heavily tuned. Heavy on the accelerator and the HPOP (and injectors) works even harder for a given mile of driving.

My experience with these labs is that every-once-in-a-while you get a number that isn't very accurate. I have seen this multiple times when I submit the same oil (split sample) to multiple labs. Once Blackstone got a viscosity on 72.1 and another lab (Dyson Analysis) got 69.5. The 69.5 fell right into the expected range. For the price we pay for oil analyses, we are not going to always get the absolute correct answer. Confirmation of results (from split samples, multiple labs. etc) is rarely done due to expense, but sometimes it is an eye-opener.

Last edited:
I found some older/limited data on Rotella T6. I will post it since it was on the OP's "list of 3". Note another data point that I believe to be an error from Blackstone, but unfortunately I did not get a repeat or "split" analysis on this oil change. This one is low vs the earlier example I gave that appeared falsely high.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have a 2003 6.0 purchased new, in spring of 03. Been running Rotella T6 since it was new. I did add a bypass oil filter, oilguard, one of the "ball of twine types" filter. It gets a lot of sludge out. This truck has basically been a large family car, not used heavily. I'm just shy of 190,000 miles and no problems.

There was someone on here who was posting great UOA results with the 6.0 using John Deere Plus 50 10w30. Of course it didn't meet any Ford spec but IIRC it is high ZDDP so probably not necessary. Probably not CK-4 either.

Thanks, but as per my OP, Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 does not meet the required Ford Spec wss-m2c171-f1 for antiwear, ostensibly. It's not listed on the jug, and it is not on Ford's Approved Engine OIl list. Per my OP, only the 0W-40 grade is approved and listed. Not available anywhere I looked.

My question is which of the 3 approved oils is optimal, if any.
That spec is not for the 7.3 nor 6.0. That is for the 6.7 only.

That link is to the document that has been discussed many times. In it, they are still saying to use a Ford approved oil for the older trucks.

"Ford continues to recommend motor oils meeting the Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1instead of CK-4 motor oils in the 3.2L and 6.7L Ford diesel engines as well as older Ford dieselengines, 4.5L, 6.0L, 6.4L, and 7.3L. Testing completed on some CK-4 type formulations haveshown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensedbefore 2016. Therefore, Ford has included additional requirements beyond CK-4 in WSSM2C171-F1 to provide additional wear protection."

I have never seen it stated specifically that the new CK4 formulas that have NOT been Ford approved are just fine for older diesels. Always room for doubt and discussion in their statements.

Don't get me wrong, I have used (and continue to use) Moble Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 and Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in my '06 6.0L. That said, I have never seen any SPECIFIC from Ford that says the new CK4 rated oils are ok WITHOUT the Ford approval for these older engines.

Last edited:
Also - in the linked Tech Talk video - they make the statement that you are not to use the CK4 oil in ANY Ford diesel engine (around the 2:16 time stamp). Of course they say that if a CK4 oil DOES also meet the Ford specification, then it is ok to use. CYA perhaps, but the statement was very specifically worded.

That link is to the document that has been discussed many times. In it, they are still saying to use a Ford approved oil for the older trucks.

"Ford continues to recommend motor oils meeting the Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1instead of CK-4 motor oils in the 3.2L and 6.7L Ford diesel engines as well as older Ford dieselengines, 4.5L, 6.0L, 6.4L, and 7.3L. Testing completed on some CK-4 type formulations haveshown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensedbefore 2016. Therefore, Ford has included additional requirements beyond CK-4 in WSSM2C171-F1 to provide additional wear protection."

I have never seen it stated specifically that the new CK4 formulas that have NOT been Ford approved are just fine for older diesels. Always room for doubt and discussion in their statements.

Don't get me wrong, I have used (and continue to use) Moble Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 and Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in my '06 6.0L. That said, I have never seen any SPECIFIC from Ford that says the new CK4 rated oils are ok WITHOUT the Ford approval for these older engines.
Everything I've seen is that you're correct. The poster that's saying "That spec is not for the 7.3 nor 6.0 that is for the 6.7 only" doesn't understand that the reason for the F1 specification was because of the lower Phosphorus in some of the CK-4 oil that Ford tested was not adequate to minimize upper valve train wear. They may have tested those oils on the 6.7L but Ford back spec'd it to include ALL Power Stroke engines. Nowhere does it say to use the F1 spec "Only in the 6.7L" or "Don't use F1 spec oil in a 7.3, 6.0, or 6.4L." It doesn't exist.

Ford wants us to use the F1 spec'd oil in ALL Power Stroke engines.

Last edited:
Believe me ................. I certainly wasn't wanting to open up the same old debates that have happened a thousand times before. I just thought that it sounded like Ford may have recently offered more (new) information! My bad ....

Last edited:
Believe me ................. I certainly wasn't wanting to open up the same old debates that have happened a thousand times before. I just thought that it sounded like Ford may have recently offered more (new) information!
Understood, Nothing new that I'm aware of. When someone makes a claim like that it makes one wonder if there is "New" information. You're right in your understanding. Nothing has changed.

Everything I've seen is that you're correct. The poster that's saying "That spec is not for the 7.3 nor 6.0 that is for the 6.7 only" doesn't understand that the reason for the F1 specification was because of the lower Phosphorus in some of the CK-4 oil that Ford tested was not adequate to minimize upper valve train wear.
If the only concern is the phosphorus content, most CK-4 oils should be fine. CJ-4 and CK-4 both have the same 1200 ppm upper limit for phosphorus. Some CK-4 mixed fleet gasoline/diesel oils target ~800 ppm phosphorus so that they can meet both CK-4 and API SN, and I'd assume that these are the oils that Ford is concerned about.

If the only concern is the phosphorus content, most CK-4 oils should be fine. CJ-4 and CK-4 both have the same 1200 ppm upper limit for phosphorus. Some CK-4 mixed fleet gasoline/diesel oils target ~800 ppm phosphorus so that they can meet both CK-4 and API SN, and I'd assume that these are the oils that Ford is concerned about.
Yes, that's why Ford came out with the F1 Specification to discern the difference between ones that have & ones that don't have enough phos. There are still a few VERY popular HDMO that folks buy that don't meet the spec. still on the market shelves being sold.

Back