CK-4 Diesel Oil for old 6.0l PowerStroke?

To see if there is anything missed. Again, my original question was not really answered. I asked which of 3 oils was better these days. instead, I got advice about others, which was useful, but not the answer I requested.

If you want to spend the money, I wouldn't use the motorcraft.

Flip a coin between the other two. The engine won't notice a difference.

I live in Minnesota.

I am going to chime in. 6.0 is a great motor. I also have a 2007 with 150k miles pulling 14k-19k pound rv trailers all its life. It's been bulletproofed and not one single issue!

Go to www.bulletproofdiesel.com and get a lot of info and buy an air-to air BPD oil cooler. get rid of the EGR, do ARP headstuds! You can also go to powerstrokehelp.com and get info on the 6.0.

I use Amsoil OE 10w30, it is a fantastic oil for these trucks. Rotella T5 10w30 is also another good oil! Motorcraft filters only.

Replace the fuel pump around 150k miles, makes a big difference!

Originally Posted by mattd
If you want to spend the money, I would use the motorcraft.

Flip a coin between the other two. The engine won't notice a difference.

Last edited:
Look at my OP. It explains why I asked which of the 3 oils I pre-selected is preferable. All the responses have been other oils. Application environment matters. I explained it. No one has accepted it or acknowledged it. Please do not comment if you are not interested in the application conditions I laid out.

Once more, a 10w-30 is what you want to use in this engine, there isn't any need for a synthetic. I have over 350,000 mi. In a 6.0, and UOA data from every OC that we're run out to 7,500 mi. Intervals to prove my point.

There were multiple times cold soak starts happened at -40, no issues, no injectors ever replaced, and stellar UOA's from 10w-30, including loaded operation during summer at 90+f running 150 mi. Down the highway. The OP can assume all he wants he "needs" a synthetic lube and change it at 5,000 mi intervals to make him feel better, but the 6.0 won't know the difference.

I do not want someone to agree - look at the OP. I want someone who knows to assess the better of the 3 oils presented. Instead, I got not one response, I got other recommendations. As I said, if one doesn't wish to reply to my ask, don't respond. Yet you continue to.

A 10W mineral oil flowing at -40? Really?

A mineral 10w does not have optimum flow at -40 but it's not like it will cause measurable harm on a few starts here and there. I run a semi synthetic 10w30 in my 2017 ISB6.7, all year, cold starts and heavy towing. This upcoming oil change index, I am switching to a conventional 10w30 ck4.

Many people, including a good buddy run mineral 15w40 all year in tractors, trucks and machinery without issue. Again, it is not optimum for those real cold starts but the engines are not self destructing, the body around the vehicles long rot away before there is engine oil related issues.

Originally Posted by BrianF
A mineral 10w does not have optimum flow at -40 but it's not like it will cause measurable harm on a few starts here and there. I run a semi synthetic 10w30 in my 2017 ISB6.7, all year, cold starts and heavy towing. This upcoming oil change index, I am switching to a conventional 10w30 ck4.

Many people, including a good buddy run mineral 15w40 all year in tractors, trucks and machinery without issue. Again, it is not optimum for those real cold starts but the engines are not self destructing, the body around the vehicles long rot away before there is engine oil related issues.

Any oil with a winter rating of 15W or even 10W is going to be well above the pumpability limit at -40F. This is regardless of whether it is mineral or synthetic, if the performance was that much better for the synthetic then it would be labeled as a lower (5W or 0W) winter grade.

If the oil flows to the pump pickup tube then it will presumably be pumped, but I'd regard anyone as a fool who depended on this with a 10W or 15W rated oil at -40. There is no viable technical reason to do so.

Harm isn't going to originate from the thick oil in the bearings but harm will certainly occur if the oil can't flow to the pickup tube to be pumped.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I do not want someone to agree - look at the OP. I want someone who knows to assess the better of the 3 oils presented. Instead, I got not one response, I got other recommendations. As I said, if one doesn't wish to reply to my ask, don't respond. Yet you continue to.

A 10W mineral oil flowing at -40? Really?

Most everyone has assessed your three choices and given their recommendations, but for some reason you don't seem to want to believe any of us. Do a little research and there's not a whole lot of difference between a 10w-30 & a 5w-40 in cold starts. You can spend your money on a 5w-40 and your 6.0 will make it a 30 wt in very short order due to the HPOP.

Ideally if one were expecting months of sub -20f cold starts then a 0w-30 would be the obvious choice, but that isn't the case except for a few, and using the block heater whenever available will help save the FICM among other critical components.

I see a lot of doomsday talk on the 15w and 10w. But in reality, how many -40 unaided cold starts does one even do? Even in this cold and hostile wasteland, I have only a handful of -40 starts. Even here there are very few -40 ambient starts to be had. All but just a few get the block heater. And everything has survived just fine. We can bench race all one wants. [censored] my good buddy with his 2013 6.7 power stroke sees far more cold starts than my truck and his has survived around 170,000km out here without anything but what ever cheap 15w40 is on sale. But somehow it has yet to implode?

Do not over think all of this.

Below is the chart from page 3 of the latest (2019) Ford engine oil recommendations, including the older HEUI Powerstroke engines. I posted the link to the document above.

Note that Ford ADDED 5W-40, 0W-30, etc. to the chart as acceptable oils.
Why? Possible reasons include:
1. Ford doesn't know what they're doing
2. Ford discovered new CK-4 oils with newer types of shear-resistant VII additives work ok
3. Ford doesn't care about VII additive shear down sticking injector pintles
4. Nobody knows

Pick one or add one

In my area, we average 13 days ABOVE 90 degrees F, and average 23 days BELOW 0 degrees F. Helluva place to live, I get it. But it is what it is. Can't just ignore it.

[Linked Image]

No one has addressed any of my 3 selections. They have only offered their own personal choices, and many not taking into account the application conditions I described in my OP. Sorry people feel this way, but I haven't seen a single reply mentioning one of my selections. All I see is they are "wrong". Well, ok, then look at the chart above where Ford explicitly approves of the vis range.

If one doesn't know the latest data, that's fine. Just don't respond.

No one has addressed any of my 3 selections. They have only offered their own personal choices, and many not taking into account the application conditions I described in my OP. Sorry people feel this way, but I haven't seen a single reply mentioning one of my selections. All I see is they are "wrong". Well, ok, then look at the chart above where Ford explicitly approves of the vis range.

It's tough living at the top, isn't it?

So, what exactly are your 3 presented oils? Not that I really care as a friend of mine owns two diesel trucks and uses Rural King 10w30 HDEO without issue. Sounds like you're being picky and just flat out ignoring great folks advice.

Have a great life

Read the last post on page 3.

Originally Posted by mattd

Read the last post on page 3.

I stand corrected - one reply out of 35 addressed my OP question. Thank you mattd.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

So, what exactly are your 3 presented oils? Not that I really care as a friend of mine owns two diesel trucks and uses Rural King 10w30 HDEO without issue. Sounds like you're being picky and just flat out ignoring great folks advice.

Have a great life

If you aren't interested in reading the OP, don't respond. This site is a lot less friendly than when I left in 2016. Don't read the OP, then argue. Not. Good.

Back