Chrysler AT Dipstick Crosshatch - Range?

JHZR2

Staff member
My 47RE is shifting beautifully, but can be a little bit sluggish to start off in the very cold. I know per the FSM and from @clinebarger that the fluid has to be checked fully hot and in neutral. I did it today, and it looks great, but a little low. This was after driving about 25 miles on the interstate in 32F weather.

B1474803-583D-40A4-BB9E-71E757E813EB.jpeg
I can’t find reference to how much fluid is needed between the crosshatch, in the OM or the FSM. The OM has good instructions, but not even a pic of the dipstick, while the FSM has a bit of info but not any quantity.

C5F1E8FC-B1A4-4637-B0B7-F65C2E8EE389.png

Does anyone know the rule of thumb for Chrysler transmissions? I don’t have any ATF +4, but I have a pint of lubeguard red. So depending upon the range and quantity to adjust, I might just “boost” the fluid with LG red.

Any ideas if the crosshatch on a 47RE is a pint, quart, gallon?

The AT takes 16L of fluid when dry.
Thanks!

The crosshatch area is roughly a pint.

It's good to know the actual trans fluid temp via a scan tool & use this chart.....
9t7Dv9f.png
Thanks! The OM hinted at those circles being used in a certain temperature range (IIRC 180 is the normal temperature to use the crosshatch, the circles were for a lower temperature), the FSM didnt. Neither said anything about quantity, did the mention of a pint come from the document that had that chart?

I don’t recall that I could see AT temperature with a scan tool when I was diagnosing the TPS... but there is an AT temp light, so there must be a reading somewhere...

Nice chart, is it specificmto the 47RE?

Wonderful, thanks!

It says a pint, or is that from experience? Is that a rebuilding manual or something? Just curious, as I wish my FSM had that chart!

Back