2018 f150, amsoil into 10r80 trans and rear differential, 29000 miles

And finally (not trying to be a post whore but rather break up info into digestible posts), this '19 Ranger wound up taking about 8.75 qts plus 10oz Lubegard.

All I can figure is that it sat for days -- maybe a week -- on my lift before servicing the trans, so perhaps there was more drainback into the pan.

Or it was underfilled from the factory which is not uncommon according to the Ranger forums -- I have no idea if this info is valid and I failed to check the level before dropping the pan.

I used the "Makuloco method" of taking it to the 6 (bottom line) at cold idle. Makuloco is specific that you do not need to check these hot and I was happy to believe that due to proximity to the cat.

Also as many have experienced the dipstick cap was stupid tight. I had to come at it from above with a swivel and extensions on my 1/2" impact to break it free.

Honestly, the whole thing is a PITA IMO. I'd prefer a standpipe drained at a given temp over this terrible design. However an aftermarket pan with drain and an aftermarket dipstick tube (if they're any good??) would make it a dream to service

I went looking for a 180 elbow to fine tune fluid level on the 10R80. I see Makuloco has made his own with copper pipe, but by the time I found fresh blades for my pipe cutter and dug out my surely-dried flux, we'd be into 2025.

I did the bulk of the fill from the top with vinyl tubing, same way I've filled AB60Fs, but vinyl tubing next to the hot exhaust was not an option once the Ranger was running.

I have a bucket pump with 180, but the diameter was relatively huge for gear oil.

I was considering ordering something, but I figured there HAD to be a cheap-to-free solution.

I finally remembered many steering boxes hook a 180 on their hard lines, and found something suitable on an '86 Ranger out back (HOAs across the nation collectively gasp and clutch their pearls --- did you hear it??).

This wound up working pretty darn well on my hand pump.View attachment 203557
Silicon tubing works fine filling my 6R80 beside the cat converter. You have to have the engine running to fill the last quart or two on the 6R80.
1707946890547.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Silicon tubing works fine filling my 6R80 beside the cat converter. You have to have the engine running to fill the last quart or two on the 6R80.
View attachment 203575
Well, I don't see much advantage. You have to be under the vehicle to check the puny dipstick.

For me it's easier to do the bulk thru a tube topside, then start it, take it up, and stand under it on lift doing the final check(s) and fill underneath.

To use a tube from engine bay would mean clambering under to insert tiny dipstick, reinsert tube, climb out, pour in more, climb back under, check again etc

It'll be nice when ULV becomes more readily available. Awhile back elsewhere on the board I believe it was @ctechbob posted about NAPA having it at $6.50/qt.

Now it shows $17 on their site but my stores literally couldn't get it anyway. I needed to order a couple extra since I undershot on my order of Motorcraft from RA, but it simply was not available to them.

O'Reilly and AutoZone presently don't even have any ULV on their sites from what I could see. No Advance near me so I didn't check.

I had to buy a couple qts from my dealer at $13 ea (actually not horrendous, considering) but their "standard" business hours are limiting. Ironically I discovered at ~5:03p I was short, and my wife was within a couple blocks of our dealer and our NAPA, but I couldn't reach the dealer parts counter and NAPA (open only until 5:30 here) didn't have it and couldn't get it (Valvoline) on tomorrow's truck from ABQ or anywhere else.

Apparently traumatized by this event and leary of future market stability, I ordered a case of the GM ULV from RA just to have for next time. Including $22 in shipping and a few bucks sales tax it's $6.62/qt to my door.

Something for others to consider. I don't see this stuff getting much cheaper until maybe well after this thing that happens in November......

I paid something like $15 per quart via Amazon for valvoline ULV, and have not seen it stocked on shelves yet. This surprises me a bit - it seems like Dex6 was stocked everywhere when it was announced. There are more than a few of these ULV units running around, but I’m not sure how many DIYers there are out there changing fluid.

I had the same experience breaking the fill cap free the first time, and I was using an open wrench which flexed just enough to gall the cap. I bought a replacement oem cap as well as the inner dipstick from a 6r80 which has hash marks on it. The cap only has to be snugged and is 3x harder to first break loose after it’s had a few heat cycles. I also only use a 6 sided wrench on it now.

I paid something like $15 per quart via Amazon for valvoline ULV, and have not seen it stocked on shelves yet. This surprises me a bit - it seems like Dex6 was stocked everywhere when it was announced. There are more than a few of these ULV units running around, but I’m not sure how many DIYers there are out there changing fluid.

I had the same experience breaking the fill cap free the first time, and I was using an open wrench which flexed just enough to gall the cap. I bought a replacement oem cap as well as the inner dipstick from a 6r80 which has hash marks on it. The cap only has to be snugged and is 3x harder to first break loose after it’s had a few heat cycles. I also only use a 6 sided wrench on it now.
Yeah I started on the cap with a crowfoot then went to a line wrench crowfoot on an 18" ratchet in 1/2" drive, but I was still only galling the Al cap and twisting the extension I was using to reach up there. Crazy!!

I bought two cases of Motorcraft Mercon ULV not long ago on eBay and it appears to be readily available there for $99 per case of 12.

I bought two cases of Motorcraft Mercon ULV not long ago on eBay and it appears to be readily available there for $99 per case of 12.
Yep, saw that this morning before pulling the trigger on a case for $79.44 thru RA including tax for the GM badging

I dunno if anyone's faking ULV yet but ebay makes me a little nervous on fluids.

Yep, saw that this morning before pulling the trigger on a case for $79.44 thru RA including tax for the GM badging

I dunno if anyone's faking ULV yet but ebay makes me a little nervous on fluids.
Mine were 100% sealed in the MC boxes and the seller had lots of reviews.

Mine were 100% sealed in the MC boxes and the seller had lots of reviews.
Nice! A case of Merc ULV comes to $89.91 for me thru RA, so I would have gone that route if I wanted Motorcraft. Ebay would be around $108 after tax.

Nice! A case of Merc ULV comes to $89.91 for me thru RA, so I would have gone that route if I wanted Motorcraft. Ebay would be around $108 after tax.
I think when I checked RA it was not available, so I defaulted to eBay. Either price beats the local ones...

If you're keeping the Ranger and want to make measuring the fluid easy, a forum member over on 5g Rangers is producing a bespoke dipstick. Not cheap, but it is a superbly built piece.

1709112992227.jpg

He even duplicated the factory markings:

1709113106479.jpg

I have one, it is so choice, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Back