Choice of .357 SIG Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I shoot mainly my own reloads.
Do you re-load .357 SIG? How much money do you save by re-loading?
You can reload the 357 Sig for just a little more than 9mm. A few more grains of powder is the only difference provided you have brass. You save a lot.
I concur--I use the same bullet in 9MM that I do in .357SIG and the powder difference between the two is minimal.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I use the same bullet in 9MM that I do in .357SIG and the powder difference between the two is minimal.

So based on that, in reality how much more actual steam does the .357 Sig have over a hot 9 MM +P+ round in the same gun?

Originally Posted By: billt460
I use the same bullet in 9MM that I do in .357SIG and the powder difference between the two is minimal.
So based on that, in reality how much more actual steam does the .357 Sig have over a hot 9 MM +P+ round in the same gun?
1200FPS versus 1500FPS (and beyond--just depends on how hot you want them). However, the 9MM will be taking a beating using a constant diet of +P+ whereas the .357 is beefier in every aspect. Everyone has a preference of calibers, I have all of them.

However, the 9MM will be taking a beating using a constant diet of +P+ whereas the .357 is beefier in every aspect.

Aren't .357 Sig chambered Glocks nothing more than the same 9 MM guns with different barrels and magazines? (Glock 19 & 32).

However, the 9MM will be taking a beating using a constant diet of +P+ whereas the .357 is beefier in every aspect.

Aren't .357 Sig chambered Glocks nothing more than the same 9 MM guns with different barrels and magazines? (Glock 19 & 32).

I thought they were the .40 models with a different barrel...barrel being the only difference....but the .40 models are awfully similar to the nines...so...

Last edited:
I shoot mainly my own reloads .

You can reload the 357 Sig for just a little more than 9mm. A few more grains of powder is the only difference provided you have brass. You save a lot.

Welcome back!

Been a while...
grin.gif

It was my understanding (which could be wrong) the locking blocks are beefier and the recoil spring is stouter. In any event, the 9MM was never designed for continuous +P+.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I shoot mainly my own reloads .

Welcome back!

Been a while...
grin.gif

grin.gif

It was my understanding (which could be wrong) the locking blocks are beefier and the recoil spring is stouter. In any event, the 9MM was never designed for continuous +P+.
The .40 and .357 will wear out faster than a 9mm. It's not something the typical shooter is going to need to worry about. If you can afford to wear out a Glock you can afford to replace it every decade or so.

The .40 and .357 will wear out faster than a 9mm. It's not something the typical shooter is going to need to worry about. If you can afford to wear out a Glock you can afford to replace it every decade or so.
Faster than a 9MM shooting nothing but +P+?

SAAMI max. pressure for a .357 Sig is 40,000 - 44,240 PSI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

SAAMI max. pressure for a 9 MM +P is 38,500 PSI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

"The SAAMI pressure limit for the 9×19mm Parabellum +P is set at 265.45 MPa (38,500 psi) piezo pressure."

There is no SAAMI pressure given for +P+ because SAMMI does not recognize that "standard". That said, here is some Speer +P+ 9 MM Gold Dot that they claim is loaded to 40,000 CUP, which is the same to slightly lower than .357 Sig. Translated, a .357 Sig isn't going to last any longer in a Glock than that same frame size Glock shooting 9 MM +P+. There isn't enough difference between the two to matter.

Translated, a .357 Sig isn't going to last any longer in a Glock than that same frame size Glock shooting 9 MM +P+. There isn't enough difference between the two to matter.
21.gif
As I said, I understand the locking block and the recoil spring to be beefier in the .357SIG versus the 9MM, but to some degree, it is all semantics anyway which typically digresses into a "this caliber is better than that one" argument.

SAAMI max. pressure for a .357 Sig is 40,000 - 44,240 PSI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

SAAMI max. pressure for a 9 MM +P is 38,500 PSI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

"The SAAMI pressure limit for the 9×19mm Parabellum +P is set at 265.45 MPa (38,500 psi) piezo pressure."

There is no SAAMI pressure given for +P+ because SAMMI does not recognize that "standard". That said, here is some Speer +P+ 9 MM Gold Dot that they claim is loaded to 40,000 CUP, which is the same to slightly lower than .357 Sig. Translated, a .357 Sig isn't going to last any longer in a Glock than that same frame size Glock shooting 9 MM +P+. There isn't enough difference between the two to matter.

Does LEO carry this round?

Does LEO carry this round?

I'm sure they do. I know many still carry the Federal 9BPLE 9 MM +P+ load. And it's been around for over 20 years and still performs well.

Today, I went to my gun range that I have built in my dads backyard. I shot a few of the .357 SIG PDX1 rds. I just recently received. My M&P loves ANY .357 SIG ammo! As do I!
My son traded me (5) of his .40 TAC-XPD rounds for (5) of my HST rounds. Those TAC-XPD rounds pack a great punch as well! I know they oblitirated the first of (5) water filled milk jugs I shot at.
I was also able to shoot 150 rds. in my AR's, and a (5) round clip in my Mosin Nagant.
All in all, it was a fun & stress relieved day. BTW, my dad shot a few rounds as well.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

"Hydra Shok" ... I'd think HST is just as good or better and can be had for way less money. Just get some Federal HST and sleep easy. Probably some YouTube videos doing gel tests on Hydra Shok.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
"Hydra Shok" ... I'd think HST is just as good or better and can be had for way less money. Just get some Federal HST and sleep easy. Probably some YouTube videos doing gel tests on Hydra Shok.

I know all about Hydra-Shok. I have some in one of my SP-101 .357 Magnum revolvers. I have been shooting that brand bullet since the '80's. My preferred self defense ammo in my semi's is HST.
These Federal Premium bullets sort of resemble the Winchester White Box economy JHP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back