Chewed out a speeding kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I will humbly disagree.

Have you ever driven on a racetrack or autocross? Do you honestly think you have the same attention to details and surroundings when bumbling down your side road to your house as you do when driving spirited?

If you don't have enough discipline as a driver to give your FULL attention to driving, if it's so terribly boring that you can't bother to make the effort, then you shouldn't be driving.

Not only do I have the same attention to details, I have MORE attention to details because more visual data can be taken in at a lower rate of speed. What you are describing is not a heightened sense of awareness, rather it is that the information is exceeding your ability to take it all in so your mind is in overdrive but can't keep up. Plus, public roads are not a race track, there are other non-professional drivers, pedestrians, animals, etc.

There is no debating this, nor the data that speed kills. If you were correct then raising the speed limit would heighten everyone's attention and supposedly fewer accidents? Sorry but motor vehicle accident data contradicts this, and has for longer than there have been cell phones as a distraction.

If you don't have enough discipline as a driver to give your FULL attention to driving, if it's so terribly boring that you can't bother to make the effort, then you shouldn't be driving.

Not only do I have the same attention to details, I have MORE attention to details because more visual data can be taken in at a lower rate of speed. What you are describing is not a heightened sense of awareness, rather it is that the information is exceeding your ability to take it all in so your mind is in overdrive but can't keep up. Plus, public roads are not a race track, there are other non-professional drivers, pedestrians, animals, etc.

There is no debating this, nor the data that speed kills. If you were correct then raising the speed limit would heighten everyone's attention and supposedly fewer accidents? Sorry but motor vehicle accident data contradicts this, and has for longer than there have been cell phones as a distraction.

Than as I said earlier, you are a better man then me. I cannot honestly say I have the same attention on a leisurely drive to the grocery store as I do when I am enjoying the performance of my DD.

I never said public roads were a racetrack, nor that I even exceeded the speed limit. There are many roads in this country where the speed limit is higher than the "suggested" yellow corner sign. I would be breaking no laws, but enjoying a spirited drive. I know and have driven many roads where it is a challenge to maintain the speed limit...no laws broken, but certainly a different drive than going across Nebraska on I80.

I have driven on roads all over this Earth...and in my opinion, there are few better "everyday drivers" than in Germany. When I drive on the Autobahn, I feel safer than I do here in America, and at a MUCH higher speed.

Speed focuses you.

Anyone who does that stuff in residential areas is either a child or has mental/emotional issues. Not an insult, just stating the truth. Residential areas are the wrong place for any kind of dangerous driving, period. Take it to an industrial or commercial area where this behavior will not affect anyone.

In 97 I moved to new neighborhood and a punk parked in my parking space so I blocked him and called police. He came back to his vehicle before tow truck so heated words were exchanged then I warned him not to do again and canceled tow. Fast forward 2 days and this kid is on the news for killing a cab driver while robbing him. I keep quiet now.

In my state cyclist don't "get a lane" they have to ride on the shoulder. They have to travel same way as MV traffic.
In another state I lived in, decades ago, you rode against traffic flow so you would see vehicles approaching and could yield a ROW. Of course back then population was half of what it is now, cars were fewer.

But all rules are off in isolated neighborhoods. The street is like a giant sidewalk.

And you MUST treat it as such It has always been this way, this nothing new.
With all of the drunk Cajuns on the roads around here you're taking a HUGE gamble riding a bike near ANY road!

Anyone who does that stuff in residential areas is either a child or has mental/emotional issues. Not an insult, just stating the truth. Residential areas are the wrong place for any kind of dangerous driving, period. Take it to an industrial or commercial area where this behavior will not affect anyone.
I actually suggested to the kid I chewed out where to do this kind of driving. We have an abandoned community college nearby for lease and it is the perfect place for it and doing skid pad type stuff.

In 97 I moved to new neighborhood and a punk parked in my parking space so I blocked him and called police. He came back to his vehicle before tow truck so heated words were exchanged then I warned him not to do again and canceled tow. Fast forward 2 days and this kid is on the news for killing a cab driver while robbing him. I keep quiet now.
There's where it went wrong. Words are cheap and meaningless to punk kids unless you are an authority figure that can cause them loss.

Having it towed and not having to say a word would have meant real consequences that teach a lesson, though if you block someone in, technically you are in far worse trouble than he is, could easily be considered abduction or kidnapping (varies by state).

You can't hold someone against their will by blocking them in. The laws may vary by state but it's not a felony to park in the wrong space, so odds are, you one-upped him on doing the wrong thing, *legally*.

There's where it went wrong. Words are cheap and meaningless to punk kids unless you are an authority figure that can cause them loss.

Having it towed and not having to say a word would have meant real consequences that teach a lesson, though if you block someone in, technically you are in far worse trouble than he is, could easily be considered abduction or kidnapping (varies by state).

You can't hold someone against their will by blocking them in. The laws may vary by state but it's not a felony to park in the wrong space, so odds are, you one-upped him on doing the wrong thing, *legally*.
My parking space was my driveway. Had 911 on phone so nothing I did was illegal. They were aware of the situation. You can block your own driveway.

My parking space was my driveway. Had 911 on phone so nothing I did was illegal. They were aware of the situation. You can block your own driveway.
No, you can't block your own driveway to prevent someone from leaving. Show me the clause in your state's kidnapping or abduction laws that state if someone is on your property, THEN you are allowed to prevent them from leaving? That would be a kidnapper's wild dream come true! And strike fear into every Jehovah's witness and sales solicitor that goes door to door peddling something. Nope, someone comes onto your property, doing nothing more illegal than that (not breaking and entering) and you can demand that they leave, not detain them.

No, even if someone is in your driveway, you cannot prevent them from leaving unless it is a citizen's arrest and then within the laws your state allows for citizen's arrest, which is almost always more than just parking.

Doesn't matter if you are on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. Ask an attorney if you doubt this. If you are on the phone with a 911 dispatcher when you abduct a child, does that suddenly make it legal? Again, show the clause in the legal statute that allows for it.

Granted there is a gray area, if some dumb kid stands there listening to you complain instead of stating or trying to leave, but then later can just say I tried to leave but he blocked me in.

Last edited:
No, you can't block your own driveway to prevent someone from leaving. Show me the clause in your state's kidnapping or abduction laws that state if someone is on your property, THEN you are allowed to prevent them from leaving? That would be a kidnapper's wild dream come true! And strike fear into every Jehovah's witness and sales solicitor that goes door to door peddling something. Nope, someone comes onto your property, doing nothing more illegal than that (not breaking and entering) and you can demand that they leave, not detain them.

No, even if someone is in your driveway, you cannot prevent them from leaving unless it is a citizen's arrest and then within the laws your state allows for citizen's arrest, which is almost always more than just parking.

Doesn't matter if you are on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. Ask an attorney if you doubt this. If you are on the phone with a 911 dispatcher when you abduct a child, does that suddenly make it legal? Again, show the clause in the legal statute that allows for it.

Granted there is a gray area, if some dumb kid stands there listening to you complain instead of stating or trying to leave, but then later can just say I tried to leave but he blocked me
No I didn't try to kidnap anyone. He left his car in my driveway to go do whatever he did then came back to get his car. I guess 911 operator was wrong to tell me I have right to tow illegal parked vehicle. You see everyone likes to make assumptions.

He could have left any time same way he came. I was waiting on tow truck. His car illegally parked and he left it.

Granted there is a gray area, if some dumb kid stands there listening to you complain instead of stating or trying to leave, but then later can just say I tried to leave but he blocked me in.
The guy was trespassing on the homeowner's private property, doesn't matter if he walked on or drove into the driveway. For all he knew the guy was burglarizing his home.

The neighbor who said something about the exhaust actually was teasing me.

I would tease you too, for putting a fart pipe on a Talon. LOL

I was looking at exhaust systems and a tune for my wife's Stinger. One video showed flames popping out when decelerating.
She yelled "you're not putting that on my car!"

I would tease you too, for putting a fart pipe on a Talon. LOL

I was looking at exhaust systems and a tune for my wife's Stinger. One video showed flames popping out when decelerating.
She yelled "you're not putting that on my car!"

Oh I know it's ridiculous, but was on there when I bought the car. Brand new cat-back; have a hard time replacing something that is still "good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back