Chewed out a speeding kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in a residential neighborhood with 25 MPH speedlimit lots of kid and walkers. An older teen took a Stinger GT-?? and was doing about 80-90MPH up and down streets. He decided to go down our dead end(3 homes) and do this so I used my Honda Pilot(shut off) to calmly block the narrow dead end road and waiting for his return. He came back doing excessive speed and had rough time stopping. The car smelled of burning brakes and general burning smell.

I calmly chewed him out mostly on not killing someone. I also stated the adjacent neighborhood where he was speeding has a town cop and FBI agent who would not tolerate this and never come back. I let him sit there stuck for 5 mins and then he came out of car and apologized and I moved on so I moved the Pilot.

I felt like such an old man but at same time my 7 year old rides the street.

I got chewed out in a development recently. Was headed over to help a friend clean up around the house (apparently 3 unregistered vehicles in a development gets the town mad).

The speed limit through the development was 20 , or so I though. Anyway, two kids were coming on their bikes. So I pulled to the middle of the street and stopped until they passed. Took off again in old rusty untrusty and it started running crappy (exhaust manifold gaskets were blown out) so I wound out first gear and shifted into 2nd at 12 MPH.

With the granny gear, that's winding out pretty good. When I shifted it let out a POP POP BANG BANG POP. Well, karen took that as I was speeding and started chasing me until I stopped. Then she started screaming at me about how I was speeding through their neighborhood.

I apologized to her and told her I thought the speed limit was 20 and that's all I was going to do, she corrected me that the speed limit was actually 30.

Okay, cool, but I was still only going 12 and shooting for less than the speed limit anyway.

I do the "slow down" hand movement if I'm getting the mail and people fly past (speed limit is 30MPH) around the dangerous corner near my driveway. My wife was T-boned years ago from a guy going over 50, so I don't really care.

Weird that it was a kid in a Stinger. I had my wife's Stinger out this weekend to go get a coffee and a couple people wanted to race at the lights.

Half the fun of driving something with a granny gear is sounding fast while going slow
Years ago when the Jeep in my sig was still street legal, we drove up Mt Washington. On the way down I didn't even touch the brakes keeping the SM420 in "L".

Half the fun of driving something with a granny gear is sounding fast while going slow

5.72:1 first gear and 4.10 axle . It'll creep sloooowly in 1st gear, and even slower in low range.

I've found it does tend to get people frustrated in intersections. I have to shift perfectly in the middle of the intersection. The truck generally doesn't like to take off in 2nd gear either so I have to start in 1st every time .

The exact same thing happened to me, except I was the one being yelled at.

Looking back it was an extremely stupid thing to do but hindsight is 20/20.

Last year some Karen got mad at me for going 15mph in a parking lot because my A/C compressor and 1st gear whining made the car engine sound like it was going fast.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I got chewed out in a development recently. Was headed over to help a friend clean up around the house (apparently 3 unregistered vehicles in a development gets the town mad).

The speed limit through the development was 20 , or so I though. Anyway, two kids were coming on their bikes. So I pulled to the middle of the street and stopped until they passed. Took off again in old rusty untrusty and it started running crappy (exhaust manifold gaskets were blown out) so I wound out first gear and shifted into 2nd at 12 MPH.

With the granny gear, that's winding out pretty good. When I shifted it let out a POP POP BANG BANG POP. Well, karen took that as I was speeding and started chasing me until I stopped. Then she started screaming at me about how I was speeding through their neighborhood.

I apologized to her and told her I thought the speed limit was 20 and that's all I was going to do, she corrected me that the speed limit was actually 30.

Okay, cool, but I was still only going 12 and shooting for less than the speed limit anyway.

Hah, I've sorta ran into this with the Talon. It has a completely open exhaust system from the header on back. It gets pretty loud and when you let off the throttle it pops and bangs. One of my neighbors is like "when ya getting a new exhaust for that POS!?" I just snapped back "already is, brand new stainless exhaust" They just gruffed and stomped off. :ROFLMAO: I'm not the only person with a loud car in the neighborhood. I did have to really take it easy the other day with an unmarked state trooper behind me. Was in 4th gear at around 20 just to keep it quiet...

I remember when we heard a vehicle that must have been tuned for racing roaring down the block behind us at a high rate of speed. My wife commented that it must be some young whipper-snapper showing off. I commented better that than some senile old timer with bad vision doing the same.

Why would you do that and then post about it on here?

1. I doubt it was 80-90 mph especially in a residential neighborhood. 50-60 mph maybe.

2. Never approach someone doing this especially to "chew them out". Call law enforcement and let them handle it. Not worth getting shot or having your house vandalized because you wanted to play road patrol. I've seen the second happen way too many times.

Call law enforcement and let them handle it.
Sounds good on the internet... If the police don't witness it, nothing will happen, so unless an officer happens to be a block away, there's not much they can do. Plus, if just one person calls, I suspect the priority level will be pretty low. Only if multiple people call will it be taken a bit more seriously.

Why would you do that and then post about it on here?

1. I doubt it was 80-90 mph especially in a residential neighborhood. 50-60 mph maybe.

2. Never approach someone doing this especially to "chew them out". Call law enforcement and let them handle it. Not worth getting shot or having your house vandalized because you wanted to play road patrol. I've seen the second happen way too many times.
Law enforcement is useless because they’d never catch them unless they happened to be in neighborhood. Not scared of getting shot but our state while lax gun laws seems to be very civilized.

I am bummed I lost footage(looped over) on low frame per second outdoor cam. But the vehicle passing and rough distance translates to speed north of 60 MPH.

Reactions: JC1
Law enforcement is useless because they’d never catch them unless they happened to be in neighborhood. Not scared of getting shot but our state while lax gun laws seems to be very civilized.

I am bummed I lost footage(looped over) on low frame per second outdoor cam. But the vehicle passing and rough distance translates to speed north of 60 MPH.
I used to think that until I did an internship with a few local law enforcement agencies in college. Be careful is all I'm saying, lots of crazies out there.

We live in a residential neighborhood with 25 MPH speedlimit lots of kid and walkers. An older teen took a Stinger GT-?? and was doing about 80-90MPH up and down streets. He decided to go down our dead end(3 homes) and do this so I used my Honda Pilot(shut off) to calmly block the narrow dead end road and waiting for his return. He came back doing excessive speed and had rough time stopping. The car smelled of burning brakes and general burning smell.

I calmly chewed him out mostly on not killing someone. I also stated the adjacent neighborhood where he was speeding has a town cop and FBI agent who would not tolerate this and never come back. I let him sit there stuck for 5 mins and then he came out of car and apologized and I moved on so I moved the Pilot.

I felt like such an old man but at same time my 7 year old rides the street.
Good. that's insane speed for a residential. I would call the cops and report. You made an extra effort. Hopefully your mailbox will be standing next week. When I used to yell at the kids for riding dirtbikes uop and down the shoulder with no silencer they would pull my mailbox out of the ground and toss it in the stream.

Now what is a kid doing with a $40K car?
Did he take his dads keys? I did that a couple times in the early 80's with my father's Porsche 944. That was a good handling car.

While walking my dog, I used my cell to video a couple of idiots gunning it past a playground, then turning around and doing it again, then repeated a couple more times. In a Jeep (#?*).
I phoned the police and emailed them the video. Police notified me that the driver would be charged with stunting, and asked me to witness if it went to court. I never had to testify in court, so I hoped the driver just paid the fine.

Too many idiots on the road. Few weeks back I was cutting my front lawn and some chick in an equinox comes flying down my street doing over 40 mph (when the limit is 25). She's going north and I watch her and she blows through the red light at the next block like nothing is wrong.

Where's Clint Eastwood when you need him.

I say good. We have people speeding down our road all the time. Gets old real fast.

Last summer, one just about clipped my neighbor as she was on her walk. The breeze ended up knocking her down.

Lotta bad drivers out there. From time to time I yell at the speeders on my street. Wanna know what I see the most? Soccor Moms in their Suburbans on their cell phones.
The Police are too busy for this kinda stuff, which is unfortunate but it is what it is.

I know I have been guilty of some pretty bad behavior while driving...

Lotta bad drivers out there. From time to time I yell at the speeders on my street. Wanna know what I see the most? Soccor Moms in their Suburbans on their cell phones.
The Police are too busy for this kinda stuff, which is unfortunate but it is what it is.

I know I have been guilty of some pretty bad behavior while driving...

I agree with this 100% - I am more concerned with teens and soccer moms on their phones, than I am with people exceeding the limit, and paying attention. I have done my share of spirited driving, but I was always 100% focused at the task at hand. The scum on their phones doing the speed limit is much more dangerous then those speeding, but focused on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back