Chewed out a speeding kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this 100% - I am more concerned with teens and soccer moms on their phones, than I am with people exceeding the limit, and paying attention. I have done my share of spirited driving, but I was always 100% focused at the task at hand. The scum on their phones doing the speed limit is much more dangerous then those speeding, but focused on the road.

It's not a game of which-is-worse, both pose the potential to kill someone. You can be as focused as humanly possible and still it decreases your reaction time and stopping distance, as well as increasing the collision damage.

We always and still get to the side of the road when a car approaches if we're on foot, bicycles, skateboards, throwing a football, throwing a frisbee, etc. Nick wasn't speeding past a family, he was actually legally driving on the street, going slower than the posted speed limit. Heck I can sit Indian style in the middle of a public street if I choose to do so, but the logical side of my brain says it's not a logical choice. People these days just don't feel the need to exercise common sense.

If that were me and my family, I'd tell them to get he hell out of the middle of the road....car coming.
We always get to the side of the road as well. Maybe they were not aware of him driving - cars are quiet. I don't know, you don't know. My point is, you slow down - not maintain the speed limit. If you were sitting in the middle of the road I certainly wouldn't go around you at 25mph. The way Nick worded it was "I passed those inconsiderate idiots without slowing down." Were they inconsiderate? Sure. Idiots? Maybe. But it is also incredibly stupid to maintain your speed and go around - 25mph is neither safe nor prudent around pedestrians.

There are no lanes, it's a neighborhood. Here is where it was where all 5 of them were just camped out taking up the entire road.
Got it. They were impolite and not following the rules themselves.

But instead of slowing down, making your presence known, and going around slowly, you just maintained the speed limit?

It's not a game of which-is-worse, both pose the potential to kill someone. You can be as focused as humanly possible and still it decreases your reaction time and stopping distance, as well as increasing the collision damage.
I will disagree with this statement 100%

It (speed) DOES NOT decrease (make worse) your reaction time at all...in fact, being focused on your task instead of your phone INCREASES (improves) your reaction time. In my experience, driving in a spirited manner increases (improves) my reaction time, and focuses my attention.

Does it increase the distance your car will travel for a given amount of time given your ATTENTIVE reaction time...yup.

Does it increase your stopping distance...well of course.

I would still rather encounter an attentive driver exceeding the speed limit, rather than a person on their phone or drunk.

Last edited:
I hear it said that bicycle people have the same "rights" as motorcar drivers. ....
In my state cyclist don't "get a lane" they have to ride on the shoulder. They have to travel same way as MV traffic.
In another state I lived in, decades ago, you rode against traffic flow so you would see vehicles approaching and could yield a ROW. Of course back then population was half of what it is now, cars were fewer.

But all rules are off in isolated neighborhoods. The street is like a giant sidewalk.

And you MUST treat it as such It has always been this way, this nothing new.

We always get to the side of the road as well. Maybe they were not aware of him driving - cars are quiet. I don't know, you don't know. My point is, you slow down - not maintain the speed limit. If you were sitting in the middle of the road I certainly wouldn't go around you at 25mph. The way Nick worded it was "I passed those inconsiderate idiots without slowing down." Were they inconsiderate? Sure. Idiots? Maybe. But it is also incredibly stupid to maintain your speed and go around - 25mph is neither safe nor prudent around pedestrians.

But instead of slowing down, making your presence known, and going around slowly, you just maintained the speed limit?
And, if you go by too fast … they’d not get a good feel for what my evil eye is telling them, right ?

In my state cyclist don't "get a lane" they have to ride on the shoulder. They have to travel same way as MV traffic.
In another state I lived in, decades ago, you rode against traffic flow so you would see vehicles approaching and could yield a ROW. Of course back then population was half of what it is now, cars were fewer.

But all rules are off in isolated neighborhoods. The street is like a giant sidewalk.

And you MUST treat it as such It has always been this way, this nothing new.
I use a road behind 3 large clinics/hospital … in fact that road is what ambulance drivers use. It was a well maintained divided 2x2. A few years back they designated one lane each way for bikes only. (there are sidewalks too).
Never, ever, never have I seen a bike … but we basically have a 1x1 road now … and when you get ready to turn it’s even dumber unless you use the bike lane …

The speed limit here in my town (village-population 300 +/-) is 25 mph. We have 1 part time cop that sits in the community center parking lot with his radar gun, NEVER giving out any tickets. He said he doesn't write out speeding tickets because everyone knows each other and can get them torn up. SMH!

I live a block north and 1/2 block east of one of the busiest intersection in town. Get a lot of people going south and see the light turn red and use my street to beat the light which means they are in a hurry, you can imagine the rest.

Bicycle riders are suppose to stay right and single file, I've mentioned this several times to bikers going by the house and get nasty looks.

Here is our City code, I'm sure all cities have something similar.

Sec. 5-20. Riding on roadways and paths.
(a) Any person who operates a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(b) Any person who rides a bicycle upon a roadway shall not ride more than single file except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

(c) Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use such roadway.

It (speed) DOES NOT decrease (make worse) your reaction time at all...in fact, being focused on your task instead of your phone INCREASES (improves) your reaction time. In my experience, driving in a spirited manner increases (improves) my reaction time, and focuses my attention.

Does it increase the distance your car will travel for a given amount of time given your ATTENTIVE reaction time...yup.

I would still rather encounter an attentive driver exceeding the speed limit, rather than a person on their phone or drunk.
Your reaction time is the same to initiate an action but decreases in amount of time to get that action done.

This whole "being focused" is nonsense, an excuse to pretend you are safer when you are not. I have full concentration when not excessively speeding, and can take in MORE information to make choices because the information comes in more slowly including noticing the movement of what is around me, especially pedestrians.

If you can't stay focused at the speed limit, you shouldn't drive, period. There is no "increases", your full attention should always be on driving.

It is ridiculous to pretend the choice is excessive speeding vs on a phone or drunk when the majority of drivers are doing neither. Sure, accidents happen, from the small % that do any of these things including speeding excessively. Granted I consider excessive to mean moving faster than the rest of traffic, not just keeping up or passing slowpokes. It also depends on the road, open stretches with nobody around, sure then the risk is only on yourself.

Last edited:

Not sure why they call it time … it’s a distance with the same reaction time as shown here

4A053DD9-693E-46AE-AAB5-48EF9DAC8C12.png

Nick said.... They were camped out taking up the entire road.....

I don't think Nick went bike rider bowling with his car and maintained his whooping 24 mph speed...

Dude.... He's going 24..... Big friggin deal....

I rode a bike on roads. And I... #1 never "took" a whole lane.... #2. Was always on the white line or even farther over than that if the pavement allowed... #3 if I was in a residential neighborhood like when I lived in one at Holly Springs subdivision... I got the heck off the road.

I rode a bike on Rte 198 in northern Gloucester county and it was 55 mph. I darn sure didn't act like that whole lane was mine.

I rode on a country road near the house we had a Signpine and I was always listening for on coming cars or trucks. And I got off the road.

Taking the whole lane is good way to get killed or tore up very bad... Especially on a high speed road like Rte 5 in my area. Speed limit 55 and wide open country.... If some dumb person on a bike were to be taking the whole lane... That cat better have good health insurance and life insurance.

On Church Rd in northern New Kent county it is very hilly and curvy and has one particular place where it is a very, very sharp short hill. I'm going 51 mph in a 45 mph area. I come up over that very sharp hill and that hill is tall enough to COMPLETELY hide el 18 speed biker guy behind it. Thank goodness he was just far enough past that hill where I could move around him. However... If that had timed about a second or a 1.5 second differently... I would have had 0 time to react and very likely would have hit that guy. That hill is that steep and sharp and tall enough to easily hide a bike rider or a stopped vehicle.

It's not a safe road for someone on a daggone bike. It's not.

If someone is riding a bike for their transportation need... That's one thing. Heck I remember a old black guy who rode his bike ALL the time on Rte 198. He had a tall red flag on the back of his bike. I think he might of been half drunk sometimes riding up and down that road. Anyhow... If someone rides a bike for necessity... That's a whole different matter.

Than some yuppies riding up and down the road for funzies... And if they do that. At least they should use their brains and think about IF a road is inherently dangerous for them to be riding on. Those people should think that riding on hilly, curvy and higher speed limits above 45 mph and fairly high traffic roads are not good places to ride their $2,000+ bikes. There's a road near me called Brickbat Rd that is not a remotely safe road for people on bikes. For all the reasons I just mentioned... Hilly= yes. Curvy= yes. Higher speed limit 45 mph= yes. Fair amount of traffic =yes. Yet there are fools riding their bikes on that road. And yes... I'm sorry they are fools. You come around a sharp corner or up over a sharp hill going the speed limit... And you can't seea person on a bike because of a sharp hill or sharp curve... And they are putting along at 12 mph and your doing 40-45... It will result in a bad accident..

Call me crazy but Brickbat Rd would not be a road I would ever consider riding a 18, 12, 10 speed bike on. Nor would I ride on Church Rd in New Kent county.

Rte 5 is well safer than those roads. And Rte 5 is really not all that great but it is not hilly or curvy like those roads.

I don't think Nick went bike rider bowling with his car and maintained his whooping 24 mph speed...
This post is too long … what did it say ? 😳

Last edited:
I am not a fan of yuppy bike riders... On certain roads that are not safe for them to be on.

It's just not intelligent...

Just like I don't like people speeding at high speed with a lot of traffic around...

One thing to go 105, 110, heck 160 mph.... When you are out by yourself and it's 3 am.... It's a whole other story when you are drag racing into Williamsburg at 160 mph at 615 pm on a Saturday evening. With lots of people on the road with you.

Same thing with yuppy bike riders...

Don't pick to ride on a higher speed road that is hilly, curvy and has a fair amount of traffic in it.

That's plain stupid. And unnecessary.

By the way 4wd....

I JUST about got hit by those two cats drag racing into Williamsburg....

They were seriously going 160+ mph... I was going.... 52 mph...

That's a incredibly stupid thing to be doing at that time and circumstance.

If them cats were out on Rte 60 at 3 am in New Kent county doing that with NO one around.... That's a far, far different situation. And light years smarter and safer.

People are unpredictable and 24mph is enough to kill one.

I understood "camped out" to mean going slower than Nick would have liked and on more of the road than he would have liked.

Again though, even if they were all just stopped in the middle of the road having a conversation, (as people are wont to do where I live) you slow down and go around them safely, perhaps give them a quick toot of the horn to get their attention.

What you DON'T do is maintain your speed because you feel inconvenienced. It's their road too, even if they're acting inconsiderately.

People are unpredictable and 24mph is enough to kill one.

I understood "camped out" to mean going slower than Nick would have liked and on more of the road than he would have liked.

Again though, even if they were all just stopped in the middle of the road having a conversation, (as people are wont to do where I live) you slow down and go around them safely, perhaps give them a quick toot of the horn to get their attention.

What you DON'T do is maintain your speed because you feel inconvenienced. It's their road too, even if they're acting inconsiderately.
Agree.

Last edited:
Your reaction time is the same to initiate an action but decreases in amount of time to get that action done.

This whole "being focused" is nonsense, an excuse to pretend you are safer when you are not. I have full concentration when not excessively speeding, and can take in MORE information to make choices because the information comes in more slowly including noticing the movement of what is around me, especially pedestrians.

If you can't stay focused at the speed limit, you shouldn't drive, period. There is no "increases", your full attention should always be on driving.

It is ridiculous to pretend the choice is excessive speeding vs on a phone or drunk when the majority of drivers are doing neither. Sure, accidents happen, from the small % that do any of these things including speeding excessively. Granted I consider excessive to mean moving faster than the rest of traffic, not just keeping up or passing slowpokes. It also depends on the road, open stretches with nobody around, sure then the risk is only on yourself.
Again, I will humbly disagree.

Have you ever driven on a racetrack or autocross? Do you honestly think you have the same attention to details and surroundings when bumbling down your side road to your house as you do when driving spirited?

If you can honestly say you have the same attention to detail and reaction EVERY time you get behind the wheel, then you are a better man than I am. I know I don't. Do I pay attention while I drive - YES, but when I am going on the same road to the store to get some milk, I do NOT have the same attention and focus as I do when on a track or spirited back road drive.

After a day at the Autocross course, or a day of back road spirited driving, you are exhausted...your brain and reactions work overtime. You are mentally drained...because you have poured that energy into focus and reactions.

You are either super-human, or you have never really pushed the performance of a vehicle.

Last edited:
Cemeteries in our rural area are full of headstones with pictures of young drivers who wrapped their family vehicle around tree or impaled it on a guardrail. Nice looking young people who thought they would live forever but died,smeared all over a bridge abutment. Not a pretty site, but it happens every year. I admire our rescue people who have to look at such horrendous carnage month after month. Thank you all for sparing the rest of us. My respect and admiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back