Chevy V6 (Colorado...) - best oil?

GDI engines produce a fine soot that gets into the engine oil. That soot in turn increases the chance for timing chain wear.

The new SP/GF6 oils address this.
Thanks, this is good info. Not sure about some of the other snarky responses, just here to talk oil. What about a diesel specific oil, considering the direct injection engine perhaps?

Thanks, this is good info. Not sure about some of the other snarky responses, just here to talk oil. What about a diesel specific oil, considering the direct injection engine perhaps?
Unless someone can honestly show that a diesel specific oil would work better than what the owner's manual says, I would stick to what the OM says. Gone are the day when motor oil was much more simple and they were all about dual rated for gas and diesel engines.

Unless someone can honestly show that a diesel specific oil would work better than what the owner's manual says, I would stick to what the OM says. Gone are the day when motor oil was much more simple and they were all about dual rated for gas and diesel engines.
Very good advice. Auto mfg. Companies have engineering departments who make specific recommendations concerning maintenance requirements for our cars. I have to believe that these recommendations and requirements are based on sound data and analysis. Why anyone would second guess that, based mostly on a hunch, tip, or granddaddy did it this way ,is beyond me.

I've got the 4.3 Ecotec3 in my truck, same requirements for a 5w30 Dexos gen 2. Anything meeting those specs will be fine. I like to get Mobil1 when the rebate is in effect, currently running QSUD that I got on sale, and up next are the nine 6-quart cases of RGT I got on a closeout. I've used plenty of Super Tech synthetic in the past too. The most important thing is to change it on time.

If you like PP then just go with it. If it was my truck I would go with one of these 3 which meets your spec. Havoline Pro DS Quaker State or Super Tech especially if you do a 5k oil change.

They do not like short tripping. My Wife's Colorado does a 8 mile each way daily commute and the OLM is barking for a oil change with a little less than 3K miles on the current oil change.

I agree with others to stick to a 5K OCI or less if the OLM is saying otherwise.

Complete OCI's in equal to or less than 5K miles, or when your OLM tells you if under 5K miles.

Oil... any D1G2 rated 5W-30 oil (soon to be Gen 3, I believe). You may even wish to try a superior oil such as Mobil or Castrol 0W-40.

Pay attention to oil consumption throughout each OCI period. Learn your engine's "habits" and surmise what works best for you.

Besides being objective, but SUBJECTIVE as well. It's your new baby!

For example, the 5.3L Gen III engine in my 2006 Alaskan Silverado likes these inexpensive D1G2-rated oils:
  • QSUD 5W-30 (Quaker State Full Syn today) is extremely quiet in my 5.3L. It's difficult to tell the truck running when standing next to it. I like that.
  • Kirkland Full Syn 5w-30 (a Warren Distribution oil sold under Costco's Kirkland brand) seems to be equivalent to QSUD.
Next up, I'll be trying Castrol 0W-40 in the Silverado. Expecting great results and a potentially longer OCI.

Enjoy your new truck!

Last edited:

Any from the above list.... I don't believe in picking one and and being stuck to it... sounds boring.

Change wear is a combination of all factors.... pathetic full flow filtration, fuel dilution, spent oil additives, viscosity shearing....

I am glad that SP/GF6 addresses something that is nothing new. Did they address it enough though?

If the vehicle is a keeper, practice better than required oil/filter changes, and if brand new, a short break-in rinse OCI.

And, as always, don't forget about all the other fluids that don't last as long as marketed.

FWIW, I dumped the FF in my 19' at 2.5K. Ran M1 5W-30 for a 2.5K OCI plus two 5K OCI's. I am now near the end of my first 5k OCI with M1 ESP 5W-30. The NAPA sale was too good to pass up, even if the ESP is not dexos1 approved. I purchased enough for 4 services, so I'm not planning on using anything else until that is gone. Consumption with this latest OCI has been .5qt in 4300mi. Total mileage in 24mo is approx. 19300. Only OEM Hengst filters are used.

GDI engines produce a fine soot that gets into the engine oil. That soot in turn increases the chance for timing chain wear.

The new SP/GF6 oils address this.
How do these oils address the problem? What additives, base stocks, or, perhaps, viscosities, prevent or minimize chain wear? If you're changing oil frequently, does using the newer oils really matter that much? You're suggesting that "fine soot" gets into the oil, so wouldn't more frequent changes be beneficial, perhaps more so than going the distance with an SP oil?

Many folks, here and elsewhere, suggest 5K mile changes, even with SP oil, to prevent wear. So, is it the oil or the interval that's most important?

If you plan on putting 300K on it, I don't recommend following the OLM if it allows you 10K oil changes.
The timing chain system is todays wear point in a modern engine. It was addressed in the current Dexos spec, but
I bet there will more timing chain stretch at 220K with 8-10K OCI's vs someone who did 5K OCI's.

Our '18 Colorado that is short tripped by my wife regularly gets the OLM to 5% by 2,700 miles.

I've been alternating between M1 and PP 5W-30 since it was brand new. At around 45,000 miles, I noticed the start of consumption, so I've bumped it up to Castrol Edge 5W-40. Consumption hasn't really slowed. I'm considering moving to a 10W-40 High Mileage oil, in case it's valve seals, since nobody seems to make a HM 5W-40.

Not sure what caused this, as the truck has lived a very pampered life, but keep an eye on your oil level, and keep it changed every 5,000. The 3.6 has a sensitive timing chain.

I've been alternating between M1 and PP 5W-30 since it was brand new. At around 45,000 miles, I noticed the start of consumption, so I've bumped it up to Castrol Edge 5W-40. Consumption hasn't really slowed. I'm considering moving to a 10W-40 High Mileage oil, in case it's valve seals, since nobody seems to make a HM 5W-40.

Not sure what caused this, as the truck has lived a very pampered life, but keep an eye on your oil level, and keep it changed every 5,000. The 3.6 has a sensitive timing chain.
You're heading in the right direction in my opinion. All the 15W40s would be considered "high mileage" engine oils, weather permitting.
A thicker 5W40 like Delo 400 might fit the bill. Decent synthetic 10W40 HDEOs are not all that common. I have 2 un-opened pails of 10W40
Petro-Canada Duron, which could be called a high km oil. My stash would not be complete without a pail or two of SAE 30 & 40.

I think the latest 3.6L V-6 GM engine (3.65L) was first installed in the 2017 Cadillac AT4.

I'm generally a proponent of extended OCIs, but this is one engine that you cannot do that with. Otherwise you'll end up replacing the whole timing system right when its out of warranty.
I wouldn't really say that 7.5 is an extended oci. I'm sure the recommended Dexos 5w30 SP, gf-6 will hold up just fine.

Back