Chevy V6 (Colorado...) - best oil?

Hey guys, I'm back! Today is new truck day, so obviously the first thing that comes to mind is what oil will I use??

I'm a pick one and stick to it guy - so i want to pick a good oil that has reliable availability and good specs. Typically I'll keep cars/trucks deep into the 300k territory, so i'm in it for the long game.

Chevy specs 5w-30 in the Colorado V6, with the dexos approval. Thinking penzoil platinum but open to suggestions??

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm back! Today is new truck day, so obviously the first thing that comes to mind is what oil will I use??

I'm a pick one and stick to it guy - so i want to pick a good oil that has reliable availability and good specs. Typically I'll keep cars/trucks deep into the 300k territory, so i'm in it for the long game.

Chevy specs 5w-30 in the Colorado V6, with the dexos approval. Thinking penzoil platinum but open to suggestions??

Thanks!
You're going to get BOO KOO replies of brand oil to use
Any 5W30 that meets Dexos approval is my answer. And, changed at 5K miles, along with a new oil filter.

There really is no right oil. Pick by brand preference, price, whatever criteria is most important to you. As long as you're meeting required grade and spec (Dexos approved), you'll have lots of trouble-free miles ahead of you with no concern for lubrication related failures.

Personally I like Chevron/Havoline products like Pro DS, a Synthetic flavor for $17-18 / 6 quarts.

QS Ultimate Durability is another good choice.

I'm using Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 in my Canyon because I got a killer deal on 5 quart jugs when Walmart mispriced it online last year but like others have said, any Dexos 1 Gen 2 synthetic will do. Just be sure to use 5,000 mile oil change intervals because this is a direct injected engine with long timing chains.

If you plan on putting 300K on it, I don't recommend following the OLM if it allows you 10K oil changes.
The timing chain system is todays wear point in a modern engine. It was addressed in the current Dexos spec, but
I bet there will more timing chain stretch at 220K with 8-10K OCI's vs someone who did 5K OCI's.

If YOU like Pennzoil Platinum, use it. I would do 5K OCI's.

Thank you guys.

Yes, penzoil platinum has been good to me in the past. The other daily driver in the house is our honda odyssey which has variable cyl management (VCM) which is known to be hard on oil consumption, but after >100K miles, all is well on penzoil, so it's a trusted brand.

How, specifically, does oil change interval affect timing chain wear? Do contaminants stay suspended in the oil (stuff not getting filtered) , does the oil break down/shear, change in viscosity, etc.? Just a question to satisfy my curiousity.

If you plan on putting 300K on it, I don't recommend following the OLM if it allows you 10K oil changes.
The timing chain system is todays wear point in a modern engine. It was addressed in the current Dexos spec, but
I bet there will more timing chain stretch at 220K with 8-10K OCI's vs someone who did 5K OCI's.

If YOU like Pennzoil Platinum, use it. I would do 5K OCI's.

For sure. Those GM high feature v6 engines do not tolerate extended change intervals at all.

How, specifically, does oil change interval affect timing chain wear? Do contaminants stay suspended in the oil (stuff not getting filtered) , does the oil break down/shear, change in viscosity, etc.? Just a question to satisfy my curiousity.

GDI engines produce a fine soot that gets into the engine oil. That soot in turn increases the chance for timing chain wear.

The new SP/GF6 oils address this.

Thank you guys.

Yes, penzoil platinum has been good to me in the past. The other daily driver in the house is our honda odyssey which has variable cyl management (VCM) which is known to be hard on oil consumption, but after >100K miles, all is well on penzoil, so it's a trusted brand.
Pennzoil will serve you well.. Congrats and good luck.

Thanks!
What will your usage pattern of the truck look like?

Lots of towing and hauling, near weight limits, or mostly going to Lowe’s for some plywood?

Lots of short trips, or will you get it up to ops temp every time you drive it?

What OCI?

Back