change or keep what im doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a 2004 z71 5.3 with 57,000 miles i got it new.Ive always used 10w30 castrol gtx with a acdelco or puro filter im going to switch to the pure1 scince acdelco went to ecore im runing one now and didnt know they had changed ive prob. had them on before and didnt know. ive always used gtx cause thats what my dad used and never had a problem. had a ocod lock up a honda with 30 miles on fresh oil change thats a diferent issue. im thinking on going 5w30 and staying gtx i put about 8000 miles a year on the truck and pull a boat a lot in the warm season. so im wondering what yall think stay gtx 10w30 or go 5w30 and or maybe go synthetic and if syn what kind i like castrol and also use mobil 1 in my bike

8k miles a year sounds like a great recipe for a once a year oil change using synthetic.

Also, some punctuation and capital letters would greatly improve the readability of your posts! Your first post was a bit hard to read.

I'd go with what the bike gets. Use the M1 5w-30, change it close to boat pulling season, along with the bike
smile.gif

The book call for 5w-30 in the 5.3ltr (i have the 06 Silverado) and Run a premium filter (wix/pure-one) and run PP,PU,and valve Syn. Ive done the once a year change, but prefer every six months or 5,000 miles. My truck see's mixed duty some extreme, some light, some trailering (2,000-3,000lbs)

i could be mistaken so check for yourself, but im pretty sure my truck manual says to follow the OLM or change at 7,500 miles if OLM has not reached Zero.. again im going on memory and could be wrong so check for yourself. Of course this is not taking SYN into account...

Go for one of the Advance or AZ M1 oil change specials where you get 5qts of M1 and a M1 oil filter for $32.99. Change it once a year. Take what you saved on the oil change special and get the shift, comma, and period keys fixed on your keyboard. A little good natured ribbing on the keyboard; welcome to the forum. It's a great place. And btw, if you go to once a year oci, make sure you keep up with the oil level.

Last edited:
You're doing well with what you're doing regarding the choice of going with P1 filters. However for winter, go 5w-30 with whatever oil you choose. That'll help on those mornings where the temperature dips down into the teens.

yeah i might go with once a year oci with syn,It might be better than gtx twice a year. Sorry about the punctuation ive had a couple of beers and might be typing faster than i should.What syn do yall like better castrol or mobil one.

Regarding the 10w30 to 5w30 change its hard to break old habbits and teachings. But is it harder on an older engine with a lighter oil or should a thicker oil be better. I also have a 70 c10 with a 383..

Basically, you have the same level of protection when the engine is hot whether you have 5w-30 or 10w-30 because the viscosity on both is 30 when the engine is hot. I am a 5w-30 guy, but I do run 10w-30 during the summer, especially when I find a good sale on 10w-30.

Regarding Castrol or Mobil..........honestly, go with whichever brand you like the most. Or you can experiment with both to see which one your truck "likes" the most. Castrol guys will recommend Castrol and Mobil guys will recommend Mobil. The fact is, both will give you great protection.

For that '70 C10 with the 383, you might want to look at something a little more heavy duty knowing that the engine is probably driven harder (and has higher HP) such as a 5w-40 or 10w-40.

I have to admit that I'd never heard of it, but then you may have never heard of Davidson. Davidson is just north of Charlotte. I see that you're on the coast; it looks like a nice place to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back