Change oil before trip?

I just changed the oil in my 94 P-30 28ft Fleetwood Southwind back in July and have driven 1,609 miles since. Now looking at a possible trip from Renton, Wa. - Orlando, Fl. Should I change it prior or just wait until I return? Running Valvoline Full synthetic with Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. I pulled a sample on my last change after ~ 4,000 miles over 14 months and the TBN was 6.1 with no abnormalities. Then I was using Valvoline VR-1 Racing 10w-30 conventional.

Engine is 454 TBI w/4L80E trans currently 64.XXX miles on it.

Yep, I doubt 1600 miles on the oil is going to make a big difference one way or the other. Plus you're going to be cruising long distance, the easiest use case for the oil.

Highway miles are the easiest on oil. No need to change. If it's keeping you awake at night, you can have it changed at a Pep Boys or somewhere on the way back, but personally, I would just keep it topped off and wait to change it when you get back.

Reactions: JC1
Sounds like a cool trip. You best be starting south ( like the Canada geese), December is around the corner!
I'll be heading down the 5 to 99 (Ca.) to Bakersfield then shoot across and down to the 10 then east. Likely head out mid Dec. (1 month trip)

I took a fairly long road trip in my Honda Accord V6, lets say a 4500 - 5000 km round trip. The OLM was reading 40% (oil life left) as I was about to leave. That's too soon to change the oil. A normal change interval is 8,000 km but longer on a long trip. The OLM counts down in 10% increments (until the last 10%) so there's no way to tell whether "40% left" means there was 40% or 31% oil life left.

What to do? I decided to leave it and go.

But no sooner than having left it counted down to 30% (oil life left). I thought I'll never complete this trip without "going over". But the count down slowed right down and I still had 5% oil life left when I got home.

So the OLM thinks that a road trip is very easy on oil.

Keep it in. You’re already running some good stuff.

Road trips aren’t hard on oil. 1000 miles in a few days isn’t 1000 miles over a month’s time.

You are good to go with your present oil.
+1

Also, I'd wait until after the trip. Highway miles are easy on oil, and you actually have less potential for issues not disturbing anything before the trip.

A year ago I went on a road trip to NC, TN, and VA with my BMW. I changed the trans fluid about a week or two before I left with MaxLife ATF. Anyone who has used MaxLife ATF knows how much it smells. I had no leaks, and the underside of the car was completely dry after the change, but I think just the residual film from filling that had gotten stuck to the plastic skid plate made me get whiffs of it occasionally on the trip. I knew there weren't any leaks and there was nothing on the ground, but smelling it every so often gave me an uneasy feeling at times.

I just changed the oil in my 94 P-30 28ft Fleetwood Southwind back in July and have driven 1,609 miles since. Now looking at a possible trip from Renton, Wa. - Orlando, Fl. Should I change it prior or just wait until I return? Running Valvoline Full synthetic with Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. I pulled a sample on my last change after ~ 4,000 miles over 14 months and the TBN was 6.1 with no abnormalities. Then I was using Valvoline VR-1 Racing 10w-30 conventional.

Engine is 454 TBI w/4L80E trans currently 64.XXX miles on it.
Well good to see someone posting from my old stomping grounds. Long trip like that I like to change before I go. I take the stuff I need to change it again on the road. I like changing on about a 5500K OCI when I'm pulling my 14,000 lb. fifthwheel.

Back