Change now or wait a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by STIcandy
I would have changed the factory fill by 1,000 miles

thumbsup2.gif

I would change it at 2K with conventional.
Then change to whatever your going to run at 5K.

But that's me......

A typical Kia/Hyundai 'Factory Fill' 5W30 would likely have Mo of about 600 ppm .
I would say , carry on .

Keep meticulous records/documents. Kia seems to go out of their way to void warranty's. I use their filters as they appear to be more than good enuf for 5K changes, and often are less expensive than brand names...around $6 or so each and u get a crush washer for ur oil plug.

*A5 rated synthetic oil provides what additional benefits over a non A5 rated synthetic oil ?
Originally Posted by wbwanzer
Originally Posted by tundraotto
ACEA A5 oils are also available;

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Castrol Edge EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 'vanilla' 5W-30

the carquest is not.

Does ACEA A5 make it synthetic? Should I take the CARQUEST back and get one of those you have listed? D1G2 is pretty good oil, no?

Kia seems to be hooked up with Total Quartz. Don't know much about them. Synthetic??

My first experience using a crush washer on my Kia last week. My new magnetic bolt showed a once-in-a-while drip, only days after the oil change.
Man, I hated crawling back under it and cranking down that bolt so much. I have never put so much force / torque on a drain bolt.

But the new washer is crushed pretty good now. However, I would like to know what the Kia factory used to seal the bolt. There wasn't any washer when I changed the oil on either the new Kia or new Hyundai. But it took a ton of torque to remove the factory bolts on both makes. I had to crack both bolts loose, as-if the factory used some sort of sealant compound on it.

I wonder what that sealant compound was? Permatex perhaps? I may prefer to use a sealant, versus-that of a crush washer.

Last edited:
Watch you oil level though (check every other gas fill up)
Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by BucDan
Make it easier on yourself, Drive it to 5000 miles, change it, and then change it every 5k miles after. Easy numbers, easy to remember, easy cadence. Use synthetic, why not at this point in 2020 no matter if the manual says to use synthetic or not?

That's fair. I changed factory oil at 5k.

I find it easier to set a reminder to check my oil at every 1000 mile advance.
Even all my prior, old vehicles never saw more a half-quart loss in 1K, late into the OCI.
Those that own spot / puddle drippers, are a different story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*A5 rated synthetic oil provides what additional benefits over a non A5 rated synthetic oil ?
Originally Posted by wbwanzer
ACEA A5 oils are also available;

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Castrol Edge EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 'vanilla' 5W-30

the carquest is not.

Does ACEA A5 make it synthetic? Should I take the CARQUEST back and get one of those you have listed? D1G2 is pretty good oil, no?

Kia seems to be hooked up with Total Quartz. Don't know much about them. Synthetic??

Warranty coverage. ACEA A5 if available (it is available). Do you have the receipt for the specified oil purchase Sir?

Straight from my manual:

"ACEA A5 or above
*if the ACEA A5 oil is not available in your country, you are able to use API service SL, ILSAC GF-3, ACEA A3"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
Originally Posted by STIcandy
I would have changed the factory fill by 1,000 miles

thumbsup2.gif

I would change it at 2K with conventional.
Then change to whatever your going to run at 5K.

But that's me......

Probably what I would have done also.
Actually did similar with my Santa Fe with the 3.3 Lambda II GDI.

I bought it with 10,000 miles on it. No records with it.
Dealer I bought if from changed the oil and filter before purchase (OEM filter and Acura 5w-30 oil).
at 12,000 miles, I changed the oil (left the filter) and used some Delo XLE 10w-30 (a syn-blend).
At 15,000 miles, I changed the oil and filter (OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30).
Am doing 5,000 mile intervals from now on.

With similar driving to the OP, I think 3,750 miles is way to short for synthetic (since that is all I use with it being so cheap), so 5,000 miles seems to be a good middle ground for me.

Warranty coverage. ACEA A5 if available (it is available). Do you have the receipt for the specified oil purchase Sir?

Straight from my manual:

"ACEA A5 or above
*if the ACEA A5 oil is not available in your country, you are able to use API service SL, ILSAC GF-3, ACEA A3"

For what vehicle, because that is not what the owners manual for a 2019 Sorento says in the US.

[Linked Image]

The OP is fine using the oil they purchased as far as warranty is concerned.

If you like changing oil in the snow or cold go for it. Other words wait a couple of months. Changing oil on a sunny warm day really is painless.

I stand corrected. My manual is for a 2015 KIA Sedona with the 3.3L Lambda engine.

It is weird that it says that though. The 2015 Santa Fe that has the same motor says:
API Service SM*,
ILSAC GF-4 (or above),
ACEA A5 (or above)

* If the API service SM engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use API service SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back