Oil changed today at dealership. Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should make everybody happy and lie on the invoice. Put 5w20 in writing and dump 5w30 in it.

At least the service writer avoids an upset owner and doesn't have to make up excuses. This craps goes on every minute of the day.

They should make everybody happy and lie on the invoice. Put 5w20 in writing and dump 5w30 in it.

At least the service writer avoids an upset owner and doesn't have to make up excuses. This craps goes on every minute of the day.
Yeah but that would screw up their inventory system and I suppose it's fraud as opposed to putting in the wrong oil.

That dealer sucks. They should be using the spec'd fluids. I finally had the VSS update done at the dealer before our trip to the mountains a couple of weeks ago. I had them balance my new 33.5" Kenda Klever RT's and change the oil too. They used MC5W20 with a MC filter. Came to $102.00, which I thought was a pretty good price considering the heft of the new tires.

My dealer did the engine replacement on my 1.5L EB Escape back in '19 (yes, it was one of those defect motors). They did a great job and I didn't have to go back. P!ssah!!!

I took my f150 3.3 and had its second oil change factory spec is 5w20. My invoice papers today said they put 5W30 Motorcraft synthetic blend in it. I questioned it and the service guy said don’t pay attention to my owners manual. Said Ford changed spec for that engine to 5w30. I’ve looked on the web and find nothing on it. I don't think 5w30 is going to hurt my engine. Actually probably better. But just wanted facts. It’s free oil changes through the dealership I got it from. 2019 xlt 3.3 Got 5899 miles on it. I drive mostly short runs. I live two miles from work. I use my OLM and it’s basically running low at 3000 miles. Love my truck . While the weakest of all the engines , it’s plenty of power for my old ass. Gets 24 mpg on interstate. It has the 6 speed also.
Bought a 2019 Warngler JLU and former owner had "Free Oil Change" done before I got the Jeep. I dropped the plug and drained out the dealer "Free" oil with a little over 200 miles which BTW was not 0w-20 but conventional 5w-20 per the WO. That oil was pitch black! I kept it in the bottle from the New M1 EP after draining. My thoughts are the dealer did not change the oil maybe just the filter? When I called them they lay blame on the tech of course. :mad: Crazy that service writers are just ghosts when things like this are called out. With a $50,000 vehicle it is unacceptable practice for any dealer to violate the trust of the consumer who supports their whole business and the factory brand.

Years ago a service writer at wally world went off on me. It was funny and sad. my reply to him "is this what Sam Walton had in mind for his customers when he started this business?". With that Mr. Spastic dropped his head and said I have no reply for that and walked away to get a higher manager. :)

Most likely just an internal memo they get from Ford, I'm sure they are recommending the 5w20 for CAFE reasons to sneak in under the limit but then changing the viscosity later after the sale for better service life of the vehicle. I'm sure to abide by their rules they have to factory fill them with 5w20 and also print it in the owners manual as the recommended oil to be used. I guess what they're doing is not technically illegal but definitely treading in a grey area so to speak. I don't know what the rules entail but cannot imagine that they would be too happy with Ford or any other manufacturers that are doing this even though it's now after the sale and are technically used vehicles.

When I bought my 2018 Titan , they told me my first oil change was free . Ok , so when the time came I went back to get my freebie . As I was getting my keys and paperwork I asked if they used the 0-20 synthetic . No , we used 10-30 conventional . Oh , hell no . The manual specifies 0-20 synthetic . NO other options . After we stared at each other for a while they took the truck back and changed it again . And this time I watched through the big window . :geek:

When I bought my 2018 Titan , they told me my first oil change was free . Ok , so when the time came I went back to get my freebie . As I was getting my keys and paperwork I asked if they used the 0-20 synthetic . No , we used 10-30 conventional . Oh , hell no . The manual specifies 0-20 synthetic . NO other options . After we stared at each other for a while they took the truck back and changed it again . And this time I watched through the big window . :geek:
It kind of goes both ways, my new Tiguan lists 508 00 oil in the owner's manual but I requested the dealer use 504 00 oil for the first free oil change. They did as I requested without a comment or question.

This mirrors my recent experience with a dealership.

They use whatever is in the bulk oil tank. 99.9% of the time that works fine.

I tend to overthink it with my recent purchased RAM 2500 with the gas 6.4, which specs PUP 0w-40. I talked into a guy that maintains a fleet of gas field vehicles, most of them RAM 6.4 gassers. He reported excellent reliability out of the vehicles in the worst kind of conditions. He said the key is oil changes every 5k with any brand of Synthetic 0w-40 or 5w-40.

huh....who'd of thunk it?

It's all fraud. They should be doing the right thing in the first place.
Yeah, but I think it's one thing to put the wrong oil in
Most likely just an internal memo they get from Ford, I'm sure they are recommending the 5w20 for CAFE reasons to sneak in under the limit but then changing the viscosity later after the sale for better service life of the vehicle. I'm sure to abide by their rules they have to factory fill them with 5w20 and also print it in the owners manual as the recommended oil to be used. I guess what they're doing is not technically illegal but definitely treading in a grey area so to speak. I don't know what the rules entail but cannot imagine that they would be too happy with Ford or any other manufacturers that are doing this even though it's now after the sale and are technically used vehicles.
I had a Ford Taurus that speced 5w20 which is what I used for over 200k. Every once in a while 5w30 when it was on sale or free (Remember Valvoline Nextgen?) Never had a problem with the 5w20. The oil pan did leak though but you had to remove the exhaust in order to change the gasket so I didn't bother. It leaked less with 5w30 than with 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back