Dealer Put Wrong oil Into New Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2017 Full size Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 v6 It came with some free oil changes so today my daughter brought it to the dealer to have the oil changed it is almost 6 months and 3200 miles on it so it was due for its first oil change.. When she got it home today i looked at the receipt and it said they used 5w20...Not happy i called them and talked to the service manager who insisted it called for 5w20 and 5w30 would void the warranty.. I said it calls for 5w30 and NOT 5w20 and it says so on the oil cap and in the owners manual.. I just let it go and sent my daughter to wal mart for Mobil 1 5w30 but they were sold out so she went to Costco..She got 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and the cost was $36.99 plus tax PLUS $2.36 for some (oil tax) Is this correct what is this extra oil tax?

By the way this stealer does not stock 5w30 !!!
I will stop in next week to talk to the manager who insists they call for 5w20..

my mazda dealer used to put 5w30 in my 2010 mazda 3 when the cap said 5w20. I never noticed and it was fine but I would have made them change it. When I did my own changes after a while I used 0w20.
Fast forward a few years, same dealer wanted to use a synthetic blend on my new car to save money over their expensive mazda specific oil. I politely declined and bought the mazda specific oil from the dealer and changed it on my own.

They should be using what the vehicle calls for. We do at my work. Others owners of Track Pack GTs have issues with dealers using 5W20 instead of 5W50 in their cars. Not only does the cap and owners manual say to use 5W50, but so does the shop manual and all the guides from Ford for lube techs.

Happens all the time.

Many dealers use their oil change lane as a profit center.

Jobber filters and bulk 5W-30 are standard.

Sounds like your Hyundai dealer might also sell Fords.

Ford dealer bulk oil is usually 5W-20.

Not going to hurt and with the cooler weather I would lean towards the 5w20 and with the few miles shes is doing not much break down either. Now if you were in South Texas with temps in the 80s and running down the freeway at 80 all day I would be protesting

On the 2010-12 Santa fe the cap says 5w20 but also says you could use 5w30 or 10w30 depending on the weather...The 2017 says 5w30 10w30 or 5w40 i believe so Hyundai is going back to the heavier oils it seems..
This is a new service manager i used to deal with the other two for years because we did their heads and cranks for a long time but it was not worth getting into it with him just in case we have a recall or something i did not want to make an enemy with him.

Originally Posted By: LotI
You mean the wrong grade? Oh. No biggy.

Weight is a unit of measurement to represent the force of gravity on a mass.

Its also widely used Captain Obvious. What's next correcting ft-lb to lb-ft
18.gif

While I dont think its a big deal to have some 5w20 in the middle of winter.

It is certainly a "Big Deal" when the dealer argues that 5w20 is the correct oil contrary to the oil cap marking and owners manual.

I won't defend the dealer here if they made a mistake. They shouldn't have.
However, since you used to (allegedly) rebuild engines for a living, you should know that a using 5W20 in an engine that calls for 5W30 won't hurt it, especially on a new, tight engine. So....what oil viscosity did you use on all the engines that you rebuilt?

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Not going to hurt and with the cooler weather I would lean towards the 5w20 and with the few miles shes is doing not much break down either. Now if you were in South Texas with temps in the 80s and running down the freeway at 80 all day I would be protesting

Why does everyone say this? I use 0w20 year round in my newer cars in South Texas and I always have glowing reports from the UOA.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I won't defend the dealer here if they made a mistake. They shouldn't have.
However, since you used to (allegedly) rebuild engines for a living, you should know that a using 5W20 in an engine that calls for 5W30 won't hurt it, especially on a new, tight engine. So....what oil viscosity did you use on all the engines that you rebuilt?

Hmmmm?

I would not worry about the oil and run it till spring or 4000miles.

I would talk to the dealer if 5w20 is not in the owners manual.

We rebuilt engines totally stock if they called for 5w20 we used it if they called for 5w30 we used that... The 2017 calls for 5w30 and that is the only oil that should be in there... I do know what the engine calls for and i do know if i use the wrong oil and it goes to court with an engine problem there will be drama using the wrong oil..
I did not only rebuild engines for a living i also owned my shop for many years and i have been an expert witness on the stand in a number of engine related lemon law cases so i know it's important to use the correct oil...

Originally Posted By: E150GT

Why does everyone say this? I use 0w20 year round in my newer cars in South Texas and I always have glowing reports from the UOA.

Because you don't have a new Hyundai and those reports won't mean much in court if the engine hatches out

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i know it's important to use the correct oil...

Of course it is. Buy there's a fine line between the 5W20 oil and the 5W30 oil. Ask Ford who said 5W20 is okay for all their engines that they used to recommend 5W30 in. But then, in your old business, I guess you would know that.

Originally Posted By: E150GT

Because you don't have a new Hyundai and those reports won't mean much in court if the engine hatches out

my point was is that the report shows that the 0w20 is protecting my engine just fine and if the engine did grenade it wouldnt most likely be because of oil. The only difference between my vehicle and the OP's is mine calls for a 0w20 from the factory.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head with the "fine line"
Just thinking how many times does someone take their vehicle in to a dealer thinking they are bringing it to the best place possible and get either the wrong oil ot trans fluid or part or whatever... It gets me mad thinking of this.. And this is why shops get a bad name sometimes.. I really put my best into everything we did.. Does it matter now? This guy at the dealer was new and he did not even know me and we used to do a lot of heads and even a couple of cranks for them.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i know it's important to use the correct oil...

Of course it is. Buy there's a fine line between the 5W20 oil and the 5W30 oil. Ask Ford who said 5W20 is okay for all their engines that they used to recommend 5W30 in. But then, in your old business, I guess you would know that.

The explorer in my sig was never approved for 5w20. I'm sure nothing would happen, but there are dire warnings not to use anything but 5w30.

I have always said, if you want to know exactly what oil goes in your vehicle, you change it yourself. And I realize not everyone can or wants too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back