BMW dealer recommends other oil spec than manual recommends

Hi guys!

I just got a M2 G87 and the break in period is about to end. I talked with the guys at the BMW dealer for the break in service and they told me they will use 5w30 oil with the LL 04 spec. The car's manual says the recommended oil is 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec.
I find it odd the dealer recommends something else.... I guess that's the only oil they have in stock...
What do you think, should i insist they use the right spec oil, or just go with what they say ?
I mention i'm from Europe if that matters.

Cheers !

Were you talking to a service writer, or a parts person. I can guarantee I can walk out to the service drive at my work and they will have no idea on the specifics of the oils we have in bulk and bottles.
I talked with 2 guys, one was for sure a parts person and the other was service writer i guess, they showed me a software they have in which was indicated they have to use the oil mentioned above. But they also mentioned that's the oil they use on all the cars and they don't have any problems ha ha!

does the manual say 'recommended' or required?
It would be odd if an official BMW-dealer would override a manufacturer requirement /
It says the adequate oil is LL-12FE or LL-19FE, with a weight of 0W30. The manual doesn't say anything about LL-04

But they also mentioned that's the oil they use on all the cars and they don't have any problems ha ha!
They buy it in bulk in order to get the best pricing from their oil supplier. If they start buying some oil of one spec, more oil of another spec, and on and on, they could end up having a dozen different types in stock....

Hi guys!

I just got a M2 G87 and the break in period is about to end. I talked with the guys at the BMW dealer for the break in service and they told me they will use 5w30 oil with the LL 04 spec. The car's manual says the recommended oil is 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec.
I find it odd the dealer recommends something else.... I guess that's the only oil they have in stock...
What do you think, should i insist they use the right spec oil, or just go with what they say ?
I mention i'm from Europe if that matters.

Cheers !
LL04 is a heavier version of the other specifications. I would use LL04 myself. Consider yourself lucky.

Unless there is a TSB that says otherwise from the manufacturer then I recommend you run what the owners manual recommends.

I have to go to the dealer. Car is in break in period.
Check the consumer protection laws in your country...here in the US there is no requirement for you to have the oil changed at a dealer as long as you have documentation showing you used the recommended oil and changed it at the recommended interval.

I have to go to the dealer. Car is in break in period.
Your thread title says
oil spec than manual recommends
I have no idea what BMW says in their manuals but if they "recommend" 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec oil, please look up the definition of recommend vs require.

I talked with 2 guys, one was for sure a parts person and the other was service writer i guess, they showed me a software they have in which was indicated they have to use the oil mentioned above. But they also mentioned that's the oil they use on all the cars and they don't have any problems ha ha!
They are stupid but in this case, as alluded to above, LL04 is probably better for your engine in reality than the FE grades. I wouldn’t complain.

"To those of you who missed the date on the video… this was an April fools joke. I’m a little concerned how many thought it was real 😅😅😅"

LOL.

HMM - looked up an online manual and it said: BMW Longlife-01 FE. However it also says there is a sticker under the hood to follow.

NOTICE
Incorrect engine oil can cause malfunctions in the engine or damage it. There is a risk of damage to property. When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the correct oil specification.
Suitable engine oil types
When topping up engine oil, the following oil specification applies:
Gasoline engine
BMW Longlife-01 FE.
Alternative engine oil types
If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added:
Oil specification
API SL.
API SM.
API SN.
Viscosity grades
When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has a suitable viscosity grade. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a sign in the engine compartment.
More information about suitable oil specifications and engine oil viscosity grades can be requested from an authorized service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.

Back