Changing to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpichris
Originally Posted By: harley145000
where do you get that dyno oil?

it's dino oil. As in 'Dinosaur' oil. aka conventional oil.
no [censored]

If you already changed the oil at 1000 miles and are running Dino oil, run it until 3000 miles then change it to synthetic oil. Just be sure the car doesn't call for synthetic oil, if it does drop the dino and fill with synthetic oil now. JMO

Many people do that to get out wear metals shed by a new engine, or possible junk from the mfg process. It usually causes quite a debate on this board. I always felt it was a good idea, opinions vary.

This engine should use roller cam followers - so no cam break in issues. Maybe just some crank thrust wear in and of course the ring seating. I would guess with the low to no load of grp-v in the oil it should NOT be an issue going to a "syn" oil after the initial fill, though Porsche have shown high oil usage for protracted periods with their factory fill. i'd also like to know how anyone knows what the factory fill is - for sure the maintenance tech will tell you anything, and that's prob not factual. That said, M1 AFE is on sale and no reason NOT to use it on this motor(meets 4718M). I've have been recently thoroughly unimpressed with the Valvoline syn I put in my yaris last OCI, and had to ammend it to get it functional - otherwise I would have dumped it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back