What is the deal with Royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to really be pushing the 'More HP gain' propoganda- with papers to back it up.. I was watching Powerblock a few weeks ago on SPIKE, and the dyno should like a 5HP gain..there website is filled with proof from other TV shows, such as trucks, ETC. and magazines that show a dyno proven power gain too. Albeit, this is over dino, but still- what is everyones opinion of RP? ..i'll be honest, i'm considering ditching the Synpower i got BOGO and trying out the royal purple for a change on the 2000 mustang i just bought with the 4.6.

Every oil brand has followers and non-followers. If you want your Mustang engine to do high-performance/racing/redlining, then purchase high performance oils. If you plan on diriving it like normal street folk, then your Synpower is all you need.

The mustang hardly gets driven 'normal'
LOL.gif
i've beat the living tail off that pony for the 4 weeks i've had her
18.gif

Mostly sees redline, and when drag racing season starts, she'll be at the track every friday night.

Would royal purple be a better choice than the synpower? I always thought all synthetics were the same...

"I was watching Powerblock a few weeks ago on SPIKE, and the dyno should like a 5HP gain.."

If that's the show I'm thinking of, they also went from 10W-40 conventional to a 5W-30 synthetic.
AND it was a built motor reved to over 5000 rpm.
Not much in common with a 4 cylinder econo-box.

well i'm not running a 4 banger econo box either :)
but yes, they did go down to a 5w30. regardless, 5 HP gain or so was pretty impressive.
I have a hard time using the search feature on this site, but does anyone have any UOA or anything with RP?

I won't jump in and huck any rocks, but when I saw that mag comparo dropping to (lower) different weights and declaring a "winner" - I had a good chuckle. It may be "independant" though!!
smirk2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

like trip 7 said, has it's followers and non followers.

Most stuff I have seen on RP is an overpriced, marginal performer if that. But opinions do vary, if it works for you thats all that matters.

The last dyno test I read about they failed to mention the tuneup that they also did with the oil change.

I ran RP, nothing bad happened. If you wannna run it,try it out.
Just because people on a oil forum bash it,no biggie,we all can't like the same things in life!

Yer young and full of fun - and that's alright with me. If I were you you, I'd buy the most expensive synthetic oil that promised the most HP gain and use that.

Oh, wait! That IS Royal Purple, isn't it!?!

Have fun.

grin2.gif

I remember that episode of Horsepower, the first thing I noticed was they went from O'reilly's house brand 10w-30 to Royal Purple in 5w-30
LOL.gif

Royal Purple = Liquid Horsepower

u have got to be kidding me.

dont forget your K&N filter setup.

make sure to remember a really loud exhaust too.

i heard next year royal purple will be factory fill on all Vipers, Prowlers, Corvettes and Maseratis.

Last edited:
..Nothing wrong with K&N..i have one on the end of the BBk intake, with the plenum and throtle body and i had a very noticable loss in throttle response when i switched to paper element while i was cleaning the K&N.
Really loud exhaust note = mandatory on mustangs, hehe

Originally Posted By: KieferS
..Nothing wrong with K&N..i have one on the end of the BBk intake, with the plenum and throtle body and i had a very noticable loss in throttle response when i switched to paper element while i was cleaning the K&N.
Really loud exhaust note = mandatory on mustangs, hehe

Mustangs definitely have the bad assest sounding V8`s on the planet!!!!!!!!! I 2nd the mandatory high performance exhaust on Mustangs.........it should be a sin not to have it!

Ford def. has the best sounding V8 in my opinion. Even the GM guys admit it- just like i admit GM is faster. Ford till the day i die though!
Soo- i'm thinking about giving this royal purple here a try and doing a 6k miles UOA on it?

Originally Posted By: KieferS
Ford def. has the best sounding V8 in my opinion. Even the GM guys admit it- just like i admit GM is faster. Ford till the day i die though!
Soo- i'm thinking about giving this royal purple here a try and doing a 6k miles UOA on it?

I would try a 3000 mile UOA first and see how things are wearing,and if things are looking good within the report,you could then run the oil longer.

cheers3.gif
from another Mustang Freak

I`ve always been a Mobil 1 fan myself. It`s also cheap ($22.....about $4 a quart..... for a 5 quart jug). But like another poster said,we all have our fave oils. We have our Ams crowd,the M1 crowd,the PP crowd,etc. My brother has a group of hard core Camaro friends and they are Valvoline or nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back