What is the deal with Royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen three RP xw30 uoa's posted on nasioc. One sheared to a 20 grade in 1,100 miles and another sheared to a 20 grade 3,500 or so.

One, in a modified WRX at ~5,000+ miles, was perfect (wear and viscosity). I asked the thread poster if he added the make-up oil the day before the UOA and he never answered the question.
grin2.gif
28.gif
27.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjeffie
what is wrong w/ $ 2 dino oils?

A very good question. As long as the back says SL or SM anyone would be just fine using it. [censored] some people on BITOG wont use an oil that costs more than $2.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
But some of you just feel the need to bash this oil any chance you get
33.gif

I love bashing RP...well at least the RP in my vehicles crankcase so I can hurry up to the next oil change and put in a fresh batch of it. lol

There are two reasons why I will NOT use royal purple:

1. It is more expensive than pp, and there is not enough evidence to warranty paying more money for an oil that may or may not be better

2. The engine in my car is direct injection. I have seen several UOA's that report RP is the WORST type of oil for combating fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: smakdown61

2. The engine in my car is direct injection. I have seen several UOA's that report RP is the WORST type of oil for combating fuel dilution.

You got any links to support that?

All of the UOA on this site I have seen look great using RP.

I don't understand the RP bashing ? Is it because they have an aggressive marketing scheme?

I wouldnt call it aggressive. Castrol GTX is aggressive showing sludge dumping on normal peoples cars. RP is just mostly unknown and pay the right people to support their product on the shows they know enthusiasts are watching.

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
You will gain the same horsepower going to almost any synthetic versus conventional 10w-40. 5 horsepower isn't enough for you to notice anyway.

Exactly.

As far as I know, 5 HP isn't even outside the range of normal dyno error.

ok girls, relax. why do people who use RP get so offended when it gets bashed?

i've considered using it... just cuz its purple and that seems cool. but beyond that it is my opinion that it is overpriced for what it is. it costs a bunch more money, but it does NOT perform consistently. and a few good UOA's here and there are not enough reason to switch to a more expensive oil as far as i am concerned.

so, use the cheapest syn out there. what ever is on sale... M1, syntec, synpower, q-horse, q-torque, PP... what ever. if you wanna go all out and have a serious oil for a serious track car, then get some REAL high-end oil, such as joe gibbs or what ever.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

A very good point. Runs 5 minutes apart can vary that much to begin with. We went nuts once when my Mx6 pulled a 160hp one run (from 142-145 usually) and then the next run it did a 142 and we all laughed.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
You will gain the same horsepower going to almost any synthetic versus conventional 10w-40. 5 horsepower isn't enough for you to notice anyway.

Exactly.

Especially if you quit after a good one.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
havent see you in a while here tack

yea I know........been busy with work and planning a wedding......fun fun fun

I believe on an engine dyno/test stand the results are a bit more precise than a chassis/mustang dyno since your not concerned with parasitic drivetrain and transmission losses. Correct me if I a wrong for those in the know.

...........+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back