Champion Labs Ecore or Fram Extra Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discussion about the Champion Labs ecore type oil filters and the Fram Extra Guard.

If I were on a tight budget, and changed oil every 3k to 4k miles with the cheapest conventional oil I could buy, then which filter would you choose and why? I know there are plenty of filters in this price range, but I was wanting to keep it to the fiber end cap type oil filters, but one has their own opinion so have at it if need be.

Read an article about the ecore designed filters. Sounds pretty good to me. Seems like the nylon core would flow better than the metal core--up to 10 times better the article states.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...ion-Oil-Filters

Have you considered using the From Ultra and leaving it on for 15,000 miles even if you dump the oil sooner? That's what I do with my vehicles most of the time.

The linked* thread shows why it wouldn't be an ecore. And as I'm able to now obtain Napa Gold with silicone adbv for the same or less than an orange can, the latter wouldn't be my choice either. But in the race to the bottom, the ecore leads the way down imo. Flow not being an issue in pc use, the point is moot. And then there's the combo valve used on most ecore applications.
thumbsdown.gif

* 2X E-Core Shocker

I prefer the Fram. Rightly or wrongly, I don't trust the combo adbv/bypass. I've cut open a few used ecores, as well as a number of used Frams, and I haven't personally seen a failure with either.

The E-core inner core doesn't give the filter enough support in my opinion. And the Fram probably doesn't have metal end caps. I'd say you're taking a risk buying either one.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Have you considered using the From Ultra and leaving it on for 15,000 miles even if you dump the oil sooner? That's what I do with my vehicles most of the time.
This would be the ticket--FRAM Ultras are tough (wire backed media) and not that expensive (especially for multiple OCIs). I grabbed my last ones from AAP for $7.53 out the door and since the OP states 3 OCIs at 5K that brings the price to $2.51 per OC.

Have you considered using the Fram Ultra and leaving it on for 15,000 miles even if you dump the oil sooner? That's what I do with my vehicles most of the time.

Yes it has crossed my mind, but I think I am just a little OCD to do that. As far as being economical, it seems like a good deal with what seems to be one of the best filters made at a good price.

The biggest reason I like to re use the Ultra is my vehicles make a mess when you remove the filters, so by not touching it for 2 of the 3 intervals it makes for a stress free oil change, just drain the pan and fill her up. Bonus is oil pressure builds sooner because the filter is fully primed.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Given a choice between the two mentioned - I'd go with the Fram.

However, for approximately the same price, I'd rather go with a Motorcraft.

+1......My choice as well. Quality built, and can easily do 3 to 4K (even more).
The biggest reason I like to re use the Ultra is my vehicles make a mess when you remove the filters, so by not touching it for 2 of the 3 intervals it makes for a stress free oil change, just drain the pan and fill her up. Bonus is oil pressure builds sooner because the filter is fully primed.

+1....good point. The Fram ULTRA is a top-tier filter that can easily be used for at least two additional OC's.

If used, your cost would be reduced versus a 'one-time' use filter. Saves a lot of mess, as well, and filters better than the cheap ones.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I stock up on Ultra's when they are running the rebates.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This would be the ticket--FRAM Ultras are tough (wire backed media) and not that expensive (especially for multiple OCIs). I grabbed my last ones from AAP for $7.53 out the door and since the OP states 3 OCIs at 5K that brings the price to $2.51 per OC.

Imagine that. I would have never thought to recommend a Fram ultra...why didn't I think of that like you three always do...

OP to answer your ORIGIONAL question, I wouldn't use either. I detest all filters made of plastic and cardboard.

If you are REALLY on a budget, this is the best/cheapest option. You get a premium filter that can handle the service interval no problem. I just mark an X on the bottom of them with a silver marker when I leave them on. When I get two X's on the bottom (meaning three change intervals), I change the filter.

Or try a toughgaurd filter and change it every second oil change.

If the car is under Warranty. I would not run the filter for two or three times if the manual says to change every time.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I stock up on Ultra's when they are running the rebates.

Imagine that. I would have never thought to recommend a Fram ultra...why didn't I think of that like you three always do...

OP to answer your ORIGIONAL question, I wouldn't use either. I detest all filters made of plastic and cardboard.

Being that he is a newer member he may not have been aware of that option.

Agreed! Of course, JK would have never suggested it even it if made the most sense logically and economically.

Agreed! Of course, JK would have never suggested it even it if made the most sense logically and economically.

Nah ... instead, he would have suggested filters that have a good track record of failing. LoL

Keeping within the parameters of THIS discussion:

Either one. Whichever one is cheapest. Both will do 3-4000 miles, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back