Certain website access issues.

Ok, I just went to my credit union's website and hit the account login tab and I get the same error message that I posted above so changing the DNS numbers did not work.

Why does this not happen on my fiancée's computer which is hooked to the same router and internet?
The error message you showed is a network connection issue, not a website one or browser one. The issue appears to be "in" your computer, i.e. the WiFi network adapter is faulty.

Then again, your first post says the error was related to connecting "securely" which isn't the same thing as the second error you posted.

Looks like the connection is dropping or there is a vpn dropping or connecting.

There is no vpn installed on this computer?

I would start by going to support.dell.com and updating all of the drivers, including network cards, and all firmware.

Then put a different browser on there and see if the issue persists.

The error message you showed is a network connection issue, not a website one or browser one. The issue appears to be "in" your computer, i.e. the WiFi network adapter is faulty.

Then again, your first post says the error was related to connecting "securely" which isn't the same thing as the second error you posted.
Originally the error message I would get had to do with possible outdated TSL security setting of the websites I was trying to access and then it eventually changed to the one I get above. The only reason I said I thought it had to do with certain websites is because it happens on the same websites that I go to frequently. It never happens on other websites like I said before. I spend a lot of time on FB and YT and I never get that error message when I go to those websites. I go to several BBQ forum websites and never have connection issues or get that error message. How do you explain that? About half of the time or more when I try to access this forum or to log into my Credit Union account, I get that error message.

This computer is hard wired into the router so I'm not using WiFi to get an internet signal but if I'm still using this adapter for internet connection, why don't I ever have issues connecting to most of the other websites I go to? I would think that if I had a failing adapter of some sort, I would randomly get the connection error no matter what website I go to.

This is the error message that I used to get about the TSL security settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...might-be/d5b12438-1d49-4993-8fb1-6111861ee2e4

I even contacted my credit union about this message when I was getting this message to see if it was something on their end and they said they would look into it. I was also getting this same message occasionally when I would try accessing this website.

Looks like the connection is dropping or there is a vpn dropping or connecting.

There is no vpn installed on this computer?

I would start by going to support.dell.com and updating all of the drivers, including network cards, and all firmware.

Then put a different browser on there and see if the issue persists.
My computer automatically updates drivers and other things. Certain drivers were just updated on July 27th and 30th. I have also tried using Google Chrome and I get a similar message to the one I posted above.

I just went to my credit union's website and hit the account login tab and I get the same error message that I posted above
You can get to their website but at a 2nd site you get an error. And what error ? You've posted two different ones.

Since this is a very new computer, it has WiFi, right ? Try using that instead. Unplug the network cable when you try this.

I'm not too familiar with WIndows IT, except as a hobbyist, but there are a few simple steps that apply to everything, and part of basic troubleshooting.

1) try different browsers. If they all encounter the same issue, then the focus shifts to your OS or network connection.

2) changing your DNS servers may help, but it's not complete without flushing the DNS cache using the command line tool:

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

To wipe the slate completely clean, also enter these two commands, each in succession

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

3) you can also troubleshoot whether it's a DNS issue by looking up the IP address for the problematic sites, and using them instead of the domain name. But keep in mind some sites, especially bigger ones, don't allow direct IP address access. BITOG, does not, either. But if the error message comes up, that still reveals that a connection is being made.

4) temporarily disable any VPNs, AV, or other software that actively filters, or alters connections.

5) reboot the router

The fact that it only affects some sites and not others verifies that your connections are functional, and suggest a network resolution issue, isolated to that machine.

You can get to their website but at a 2nd site you get an error. And what error ? You've posted two different ones.

Since this is a very new computer, it has WiFi, right ? Try using that instead. Unplug the network cable when you try this.
I can go to their main website page but when I hit the tab to access my account info, I sometimes get the message that I posted a screen shot of. I used to get the error message about not being able to connect securely to the page and it possibly being a TSL issue when ever I hit the account access tab. I have not gotten that message in awhile.

Yes it does offer a WiFi connection. I just have it hard wired in because my last computer was hardwired in and I figured it is a more reliable connection.

Ok, I just went to my credit union's website and hit the account login tab and I get the same error message that I posted above so changing the DNS numbers did not work.

It means that, as Hall noted, you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues with the cause being either your computer or your router briefly dropping the connection or blocking it.

Another potential culprit could be IPv6, as a lot of sites aren't accessible over it and require a fallback to IPv4. You can unselect IPv6, disabling it, in the same location you found IPv4 to change the DNS entries.

I'm not too familiar with WIndows IT, except as a hobbyist, but there are a few simple steps that apply to everything, and part of basic troubleshooting.

1) try different browsers. If they all encounter the same issue, then the focus shifts to your OS or network connection.

2) changing your DNS servers may help, but it's not complete without flushing the DNS cache using the command line tool:

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

To wipe the slate completely clean, also enter these two commands, each in succession

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

3) you can also troubleshoot whether it's a DNS issue by looking up the IP address for the problematic sites, and using them instead of the domain name. But keep in mind some sites, especially bigger ones, don't allow direct IP address access. BITOG, does not, either. But if the error message comes up, that still reveals that a connection is being made.

4) temporarily disable any VPNs, AV, or other software that actively filters, or alters connections.

5) reboot the router

The fact that it only affects some sites and not others verifies that your connections are functional, and suggest a network resolution issue, isolated to that machine.

Flusing the DNS cache is only useful if the wrong address is being cached. Since he's having intermittent connectivity, that's not the culprit. All new queries would be routed through OpenDNS, which rules the router out as a DNS proxy screwing up the queries.

I can go to their main website page but when I hit the tab to access my account info, I sometimes get the message that I posted a screen shot of. I used to get the error message about not being able to connect securely to the page and it possibly being a TSL issue when ever I hit the account access tab. I have not gotten that message in awhile.

Yes it does offer a WiFi connection. I just have it hard wired in because my last computer was hardwired in and I figured it is a more reliable connection.

Connecting via WiFi (please remove the ethernet cable, as ethernet takes precedence over WiFi) is an easy way to determine whether it's an issue along that path between adapter and the internal switch on your router, or if it's your computer. If it works properly on WiFi, the odds are then that it isn't related to software on your computer buggering up the connection.

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Code:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

5) reboot the router

This issue can happen when I use Google Chrome as well. I usually use Microsoft Edge. Sometimes when I can't access the site through Edge, I can go to Chrome and it will let me in. Sometimes it won't and I get the same error message.

How do I know if I have a VPN? I have not personally installed one.

The router has been rebooted multiple times with no effect on this issue.

Connecting via WiFi (please remove the ethernet cable, as ethernet takes precedence over WiFi) is an easy way to determine whether it's an issue along that path between adapter and the internal switch on your router, or if it's your computer. If it works properly on WiFi, the odds are then that it isn't related to software on your computer buggering up the connection.
I will try using just WiFi and see what happens.

Ok, I'm connected via WiFi and I was able to go to my credit union account access tab and it pulled the page up. I will go to it at various times of the day to check if I still can get access or if I get an error message again.

I guess my confusion with this issue is that it seems to be website specific and that if I had any computer hardware, software, or router issues, this problem would periodically happen on any website that I try to connect to.

This whole problem started with me getting the "can't connect securely to this page" message on these same websites and then went to this last error message.

Ok, I'm connected via WiFi and I was able to go to my credit union account access tab and it pulled the page up. I will go to it at various times of the day to check if I still can get access or if I get an error message again.

I guess my confusion with this issue is that it seems to be website specific and that if I had any computer hardware, software, or router issues, this problem would periodically happen on any website that I try to connect to.

This whole problem started with me getting the "can't connect securely to this page" message on these same websites and then went to this last error message.

Keep us posted! The next step, if the issue persists, is to disable IPv6 and see what happens.

I think you have a hardware issue, whether it's your computers internal network card or if you're lucky, it's just the ethernet cable or the 'jack' on the router. I also suspect you have connectivity issues at more sites than you are realizing. Sometimes it can disconnect and reconnect fast enough that you don't even see it.

Three things to try if you want to go back to a wired connection, in addition to the IPv6 setting:
1) Connect the ethernet cable to a different plug on your router or
2) Replace the ethernet cable
3) Both 1 and 2

# 1 is done in case it's a defective router and you have the option to exchange it still. Otherwise, just put a piece of tape over that jack and not use it in the future.

I think you have a hardware issue, whether it's your computers internal network card or if you're lucky, it's just the ethernet cable or the 'jack' on the router. I also suspect you have connectivity issues at more sites than you are realizing. Sometimes it can disconnect and reconnect fast enough that you don't even see it.

Three things to try if you want to go back to a wired connection, in addition to the IPv6 setting:
1) Connect the ethernet cable to a different plug on your router or
2) Replace the ethernet cable
3) Both 1 and 2

# 1 is done in case it's a defective router and you have the option to exchange it still. Otherwise, just put a piece of tape over that jack and not use it in the future.
I was wondering if it was a possibility of it being the ethernet cable or the jack it was connected to on the router but then I just come back to my original thought that if it was either of these two things, surely my problem would be happening on other websites, especially ones that I frequent a lot.

I just now tried to get into my credit union account tab and got the error message so going to WiFi didn't seem to help. I was able to get into this website today without problems. I've been on Facebook with no issues either.

Keep us posted! The next step, if the issue persists, is to disable IPv6 and see what happens.
I just tried getting into my credit union account access tab and got the error message so going to WiFi did not help.

I just hit refresh on the error page and it did pull up the access page this time. Most times you can hit refresh multiple times without success.

I just tried getting into my credit union account access tab and got the error message so going to WiFi did not help.

I just hit refresh on the error page and it did pull up the access page this time. Most times you can hit refresh multiple times without success.

OK, so go back to wired, disable IPv6 on the adapter, see if that changes the behaviour. Since it is happening on WiFi, we know it isn't your LAN adapter, ethernet cable or the switch on the router.

Back