Anti Spyware with Antivirus ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm currently running Microsoft Security Essentials for anti virus protection. I'm also running Webroot Spy Sweeper anti spyware software along with MSE. They seem to run fine and do a good job together.

My Webroot Spy Sweeper is part of my MSN provider service, but is going away unless I pay for it on top of my internet service (greed setting in with MSN). Also means I will no longer get spyware updates unless I pay extra.

Anyway, does anyone know if Microsoft Security Essentials also takes care of spyware? Spy Sweeper seems to block access to certain websites on the internet knwoing they contain spyware, but I've never seen MSE do anything like that.

Should I run a separate anti spyware program along with MSE? If so, what free anti spyware applications would work the best along side MSE?

I believe MSE includes spyware protection. I've been running MSE on a Windows 7 box without anything else for 18 months and have had zero problems. It's what I'm running on my work laptop too.

Microsoft Serurity Essentials include spyware protection. No need for anything else unless you want to run on demand scans. Don't have 2 pieces of software setup to auto run and continually scan.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Microsoft Serurity Essentials include spyware protection. No need for anything else unless you want to run on demand scans. Don't have 2 pieces of software setup to auto run and continually scan.

I run my MSE and Webroot SpySweeper in real time protection mode with no clashing between them.

I like the real time spyware running because it continually deletes suspicious cookies and also blocks access to websites with known malware. MSE doesn't seem to do this task with cookies and websites from what I can tell.

I have plenty of different malware scanners I can run on demand, but was wondering if there is a free real time spyware utility that could take the place of SpySweeper and run in real time along side MSE.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I run my MSE and Webroot SpySweeper in real time protection mode with no clashing between them.

I like the real time spyware running because it continually deletes suspicious cookies and also blocks access to websites with known malware. MSE doesn't seem to do this task with cookies and websites from what I can tell.

I have plenty of different malware scanners I can run on demand, but was wondering if there is a free real time spyware utility that could take the place of SpySweeper and run in real time along side MSE.

What kind of websites are you going to???

MSE doesn't do all this because it is not needed for 99% of the people. Just because Webroot is deleting a bunch of meaningless cookies doesn't mean that it is making you any more secure. I would venture to guess that most of the cookies it is deleting are harmless. I want my CPU used for something other than constantly scanning and deleting cookies.

What kind of websites are you going to???

Webroot seems to block mostly certain websites out of China or Asia. The one time I got a virus on my computer, the virus was trying to automatically connect my computer to some malicious websites, and Webroot would block them from connecting. This is really the only feature I've found on Webroot SpySweeper that seems to give some beneficial real time protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back