The Day Windows Support Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a family member with a message Windows 7 support ends today. I had a Windows 10 computer ready to go. This is the family member that she was not concerned about internet security. Some of you may remember she let someone remote into her computer and the router. I always have a back up computer ready for her with all files stored on a second hard drive.
smile.gif

Time flies. Kinda forgot Windows 7 Support ends today.

You're a stronger man than I am, dealing with someone like her.

W10 was available for free. I don't feel sorry for anyone with a W7 machine who has issues going forward.

This was a $60 computer on Ebay. She just gave me a compliment. Said the Windows 10 computer is faster. I have the free upgrade on the Windows 7 machine so that can become her back up.

Originally Posted by FastGame
Any news on when Linux reaches end of life ?
lol.gif

Probably around the same time Windows does
lol.gif

lol.gif

The unfortunate part is that something like Linux Mint didn't become an alternative to Windows OS and MacOS in the OEM PC business, the market has been there
I don't understand why it never was filled! Mint is far better and more stable and more secure over all than any Windows OS.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

W10 was available for free. I don't feel sorry for anyone with a W7 machine who has issues going forward.

It appears as though you can still get free copies of W10 as long as you have a valid, activated copy of Win7. ZDNet posted about it a few days ago. Apparently MS hasn't removed all the links or disabled the tools to do an upgrade.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Originally Posted by AC1DD
lol.gif

The unfortunate part is that something like Linux Mint didn't become an alternative to Windows OS and MacOS in the OEM PC business, the market has been there
I don't understand why it never was filled! Mint is far better and more stable and more secure over all than any Windows OS.

I've been looking at alternatives to Windows for the last while... again. I've tried various flavors of Mint, Win4Lin, Fedora, Ubuntu and a few others over the years.

While they have all "worked", none have "really" worked if you know what I mean. While I could get by with the various linux distros I've always had issues where things like the sound wouldn't work, or they weren't able run windows software that I use, or they would sort of run the programs, but not completely. I know people that are used to running linux and command line love it, but my family does not. I'm always the guy that get's asked to deal with the issues. Frankly my family doesn't have as many issues dealing with Windows as they do with linux.

I'd say that it's hard to get buy in on something like that.

nlife, I agree. I gave her an Ubuntu machine. Her main complaint was "where is my card game?" etc. Just wanted the Windows programs she was familiar with. Got to give her credit. She tried it for a week.

I used to mainly use Linux and love Ubuntu for some things. But Windows now has features that I do not want to live without. Ones that are helpful for old eyes.

lol.gif

I'm enjoying Linux Mint

The last Windows O/S I used was Windows 10 Home Edition

Haven't used Windows since Win7 came out. Wiped my copy of Win10 before firing it up on my Lenovo Tiny Thinkcentre. When Ubuntu Mate 20.04 comes out, I'll wipe my computer and have a new setup in fifteen minutes.

Got the message and after procrastinating about 5 years upgraded to Win10 on my old laptop.

Apparently still "free" upgrade as that all worked.

I will say the old thinkpad 7 year old w530 way faster although i7 24gb ram and original 180GB SSD. Happy with windows thus far that is related to my 12 year old daughter to run Minecraft and Chrome.

This sky is falling nonsense should end. Win7 is no less secure than it was all along and is a more stable and reliable OS, due to not having the chance some new update will cause a problem. It has already happened several times to Win10.

If you don't want to help someone with Win7 because you've forgotten how to use it or don't have a system around to compare, that's a fair argument to make but a MS end of support date has little relevance to that.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

That's just it, that you have it completely backwards.

A properly running Win7 is not likely to have any issues going forward. A Win10, every update changes the OS and is a chance for MS to break something.

There are reasons to update to Win10, but unless someone has a specific reason related to some DX/driver/software support needed that their older OS doesn't offer, doing it for vague reasons to a system that was running fine, is generally something people do because they don't know any better.

Many of them worry that there is going to be some exploit then malware becomes a problem but this still boils down to safe computing practices and the truth is you are far more likely to be vulnerable to new code from a newer OS that hasn't had as many patches applied over a period of time, code that stays dynamic and introduces new bugs. This does assume certain things, not installing warez from dubious sources, not opening mysterious email attachments, and having a browser setup securely... the typical points of entry mitigated which is more of a user issue, not an OS issue.

I need 0 fingers to count how many problems I've had with Win7 or expect to have in the future. Win10, pretty much guaranteed to have a few doing an upgrade to an existing system running Win7 or 8. If you're buying a new system that came with Win10, sure run Win10 and keep your fingers crossed that windows doesn't self destruct. As always the best recovery is having a full OS partition backup ready.

lol.gif

It DID fill the gap - it and other open source OS's are there for use and distribution by anyone who wishes to use them; but who profits from its promotion as such? Unless and until manufacturers begin pre-installing it on machines (and therefore burdening themselves with supporting it) users will still have to go get it and install it themselves. Honestly, there is NO WAY I would want to make my living as a Big Business supporting "Linux", whatever that means. Smaller companies like System76 have forked distros to have one of their own they can support; but then the Linux ecosystem becomes even more fractured. It's an anarchy - the ultimate freedom, and that's messy.

Running windows 7 on the small form factor gateway - runs fine after i killed the GWX stuck in a loop cpu killer.

I like lack of support
smile.gif

But Microsoft just stopped supporting my windows nokia 8.1 phone.

Now that's got me mad . I'm not an upgrade every 3 years moron

Now I have no MSN new feed or microsoft money app.

I have to go to the webpage

SO any andriod phone any good or is the O.S. still garbage?

Originally Posted by Dave9
A properly running Win7 is not likely to have any issues going forward. A Win10, every update changes the OS and is a chance for MS to break something.

I remember when people thought the same thing of XP and refused to move to Vista/7/8....and yet exploits were still found in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back