The Day Windows Support Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't mind Microsoft owning your computer, just run windows. If You want to be in charge, run Linux. I have 3 laptops.One Windows 10, one Linux Mint 19.3, and one Chromebook(used mostly when I travel). Linux Mint 19.3 is the best OS I have seen hands down.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Dave9
A properly running Win7 is not likely to have any issues going forward. A Win10, every update changes the OS and is a chance for MS to break something.

I remember when people thought the same thing of XP and refused to move to Vista/7/8....and yet exploits were still found in XP.

An unsupported OS is not so much about the developer buggering something up or otherwise changing something with an update or version bump, it is about an exploit being found and the developer NOT patching it.

Originally Posted by TTK
If you don't mind Microsoft owning your computer, just run windows. If You want to be in charge, run Linux. I have 3 laptops.One Windows 10, one Linux Mint 19.3, and one Chromebook(used mostly when I travel). Linux Mint 19.3 is the best OS I have seen hands down.

... And to underscore your point, even if Mint 19.x wasn't your preference, you could "distro hop" to something that better suited you; or, if you had the ability to do so, you could customize the OS to your suiting. Not so with closed-source OS's. The latter, since we're speaking of "support" on this thread, MIGHT disclose when an exploit has been found and will patch it whenever they feel like it would make good business sense to do so. In contrast, exploits in open source projects are disclosed much more transparently and patched ASAP.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Dave9
A properly running Win7 is not likely to have any issues going forward. A Win10, every update changes the OS and is a chance for MS to break something.

I remember when people thought the same thing of XP and refused to move to Vista/7/8....and yet exploits were still found in XP.

An unsupported OS is not so much about the developer buggering something up or otherwise changing something with an update or version bump, it is about an exploit being found and the developer NOT patching it.

Exactly. And this happens with every windows OS after it has been EOL'd.

I bit the bullet and finally upgraded my Win7 machine. I can tell you that the free version of W10 is still, in fact, free if you have an activated, licensed copy of windows 7.

For how many years now has Windows7 been supported by Microsoft?

I am a Mac user, and Apple only supports the 3 most recent versions of the OS. Since Apple releases a major OS upgrade on an annual basis, each OS gets support and security updates for only 3-4 years.

How often do people call M$ Support anyhow?

Also, Win7 can still be upgraded to Win10 for free, did one today.
Google and download Media Creator Windows 10 1909 and run it on the Win7 computer, let it upgrade it.

Originally Posted by dubber09
How often do people call M$ Support anyhow?

Also, Win7 can still be upgraded to Win10 for free, did one today.
Google and download Media Creator Windows 10 1909 and run it on the Win7 computer, let it upgrade it.

LOL! This isn't about calling, it's about Windows 7 no longer receiving updates. And yes, the MCT will still perform upgrades from any supported OS for free.

If we are talking about Windows updates then it's reasonable to think any software has a lifespan and won't be 'supported' when it's over. Win 7 was and still is a good OS and one can keep using it as long as they want, but expecting M$ updating it decades after OS release is unreasonable.

If we are talking about Windows updates then it's reasonable to think any software has a lifespan and won't be 'supported' when it's over. Win 7 was and still is a good OS and one can keep using it as long as they want, but expecting M$ updating it decades after OS release is unreasonable.

And that's the point. If you want to continue to use it in an environment where it is exposed to the Internet, eventually exploits will be discovered and won't be patched, at which point it becomes a liability.

Not having a firewall is already a huge threat so that needs to be done first and regardless whether it's an up to date Win10 or outdated computer.

Not having a firewall is already a huge threat so that needs to be done first and regardless whether it's an up to date Win10 or outdated computer.

I gather from the OP that she's got a basic consumer router (that's been compromised once) so there's some very basic firewall functionality there, but that's about it. But that's typical for most home users.

Microsoft just pushed a new security update today for win 7. I thought it was over. It showed being published today (Sat).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Microsoft just pushed a new security update today for win 7. I thought it was over. It showed being published today (Sat).

That's hilarious!

I'm a Mac guy for all intents and purposes, but I have a bunch of Windows boxes at work that run scientific instruments that I can't realistically upgrade. I have Windows 7, XP, 2000, 98, and even 3.1.1 all in service and operating. I operate them strictly offline, and don't worry about running obsolete OSs on them.

In fact, the last I checked, I'd have to spend a big pile of money to update things like my newest GC-MS, an Agilent 7820/5975 that's run by MSD Chemstation E.02.02. Agilent is very adamant that it won't work on Windows 10, and folks I know who have tried say that it's not true(it won't work on an out of the box Windows 7 install from what I understand either). The solution is to upgrade to their newer software, which would be several thousand dollars.

One of my more recently acquired items is a Varian 3800/300-TQ GC-MS, and the software for it is on XP. Varian is long gone, and the current owner of all of their IP, was nice enough to send me a big pile of service documentation for this including all the internal Varian service bulletins. Varian closed up shop in 2010(sold out to Agilent) but the last couple of service bulletins I have dealt with Windows 7 and basically concluded with "don't even try it."

So, for various reasons, some of us need to continue using obsolete versions of Windows. If you're using them offline, there's no reason why it's really even a problem.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That's hilarious!

If you're running Microsoft anti-virus (like Security Essentials) you will continue to get those updates.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That's hilarious!

If you're running Microsoft anti-virus (like Security Essentials) you will continue to get those updates.

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, those are just the Defender/MSE updates, I was under the impression he was alluding to a Windows security update, not that one. If that's all it was then never mind.

I gather from the OP that she's got a basic consumer router (that's been compromised once) so there's some very basic firewall functionality there, but that's about it. But that's typical for most home users.

Yes. My bigger issue is her not having even basic understanding of computers. She shows me an email that says it is from Apple. Wants her to click on the link. I hover mouse and it says it is from iwanttohackyou.com Fortunate for me she asked before clicking on the link. If I could put a lock on her mouse many security issues would be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back