Certain website access issues.

wtd

Back in Dec, 2019 I bought a new Dell computer with Windows 10. Some time after getting the new computer, I began having issues getting into some web sites with this one being one of them and my online banking through my credit union being another.

I get a message that says "can't connect securely to this page" and something about the site may be using unsafe or outdated TSL security settings.

I've went into the internet options section and into the advanced tab and checked what the settings are and they are all checked according to what the internet says they should be when you google the message that I get above.

The funny thing is, is that I can access these websites on my fiancee's computer which is an older Dell running Windows 10. We both use Webroot as our virus program. There has to be some setting on my computer that is causing this issue but I have no idea what it could be. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might resolve this? Thanks.

Are you using the same browser on both computers?

There are a few things that can cause this:
1. Software on your computer interrupting/proxying HTTPS traffic (Webroot potentially for example or some other antivirus or plugin)
2. An out of date browser
3. Your router proxying HTTPS traffic
4. Malware or a virus doing the same thing.

Is your router acting as a DNS proxy and handling requests or does it hand out external DNS servers in its leases to the clients?

Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer. :eek::oops: If so, DO NOT USE THAT ! At least use Microsoft Edge if not Firefox or Chrome.

She uses Google Chrome but I use both Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I just tried accessing this website on mine using chrome and it gives me a message that says that this site can't be reached. I tried using Edge before Chrome and it gave me a similar message. I just now tried it again with Edge and it let me in.

Both of these computers are our home computers and we are both using the same router. Something is definitely blocking access on my computer but I have no idea what it could be. I've ran the virus scan and nothing shows up. I also have windows defender. I've tried temporarily disabling both of these programs and still have issues.

I'm not sure about the router acting as a DNS proxy and don't know how to check that. It obviously doesn't do it on her computer.

She uses Google Chrome but I use both Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I just tried accessing this website on mine using chrome and it gives me a message that says that this site can't be reached. I tried using Edge before Chrome and it gave me a similar message. I just now tried it again with Edge and it let me in.

Both of these computers are our home computers and we are both using the same router. Something is definitely blocking access on my computer but I have no idea what it could be. I've ran the virus scan and nothing shows up. I also have windows defender. I've tried temporarily disabling both of these programs and still have issues.

I'm not sure about the router acting as a DNS proxy and don't know how to check that. It obviously doesn't do it on her computer.

When you get the certificate error, click on the details and take some screen shots of what you see (use the snipping tool) so I can see what's going on. It should allow us to figure this out relatively easily.

On the DNS front, open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all and see what it shows for DNS, it will either be your ISP's DNS servers or the IP address of the router.

When you get the certificate error, click on the details and take some screen shots of what you see (use the snipping tool) so I can see what's going on. It should allow us to figure this out relatively easily.

On the DNS front, open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all and see what it shows for DNS, it will either be your ISP's DNS servers or the IP address of the router.
Ok, I will. It let me in to this website and also my banks website this time on my computer so I will see if it gives the error message tomorrow.

I did the ipconfig prompt and it shows the same IP address for both the IPV4 address and the DNS servers.

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm finally able to get on this site. Here is the error message I get.

ZSmvUQDl.jpg

OK, that's a different message than the one you noted in the OP, that's a connectivity error, which could be related to drivers or failing hardware (since you indicated only your computer has the issue).

I assume this computer is hard wired to the router?

OK, that's a different message than the one you noted in the OP, that's a connectivity error, which could be related to drivers or failing hardware (since you indicated only your computer has the issue).

I assume this computer is hard wired to the router?
The message that I mentioned in my original post was the message I was getting and now lately it's been the one I posted a screen shot of.

Also, after I posted that screen shot, I started reading some of the posts on here since I hadn't read any lately and after about 10 minutes of browsing through the forums, I hit the link to go to the next page of a thread and then I got that connectivity error message and then I could no longer browse on this website.

If this was a driver issue or failing hardware, wouldn't this happen on other websites that I go to frequently? It never happens when I go to Facebook or Youtube which I go to quite a bit or other forums that I frequent. This does happen occasionally if I hit a link to a website from another website or go to a website that I don't normally go to.

This computer is hard wired into the router.

I was able to access this forum from my computer this morning to respond to you. This issue is hit or miss and makes no sense to me at all.

What other websites do you have trouble accessing ?
Mainly just this website and my credit union's account login page. Occasionally I get this error message when trying to go other websites that are not websites I normally go to.

I forgot to mention that if I hit the refresh tab on the error page or the refresh tab at the top of the page near the address bar, it still will not allow me to go to that website or to continue on the one I'm on like this website.

OK, let's try ruling out DNS. Go to the properties of your network adapter, TCP/IP Version 4, DNS, click the radio box to specify your DNS servers and put in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

OK your way out.

This will determine whether it's an issue with DNS requests or not. If you run ipconfig /all after this change you should see those DNS servers instead of your router's IP.

Mainly just this website and my credit union's account login page. Occasionally I get this error message when trying to go other websites that are not websites I normally go to.
As OVERKILL alluded to, the error you're seeing has nothing to do with the particular websites you're visiting nor does it have anything to do with your web browser. In simplest terms, what's effectively happening is someone is unplugging your "internet" while you're browsing. Chrome won't work, Edge won't work, you won't get emails, Netflix won't work, and so on.

OK, let's try ruling out DNS. Go to the properties of your network adapter, TCP/IP Version 4, DNS, click the radio box to specify your DNS servers and put in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

OK your way out.

This will determine whether it's an issue with DNS requests or not. If you run ipconfig /all after this change you should see those DNS servers instead of your router's IP.
Thanks. I have a dumb question but where do I find the properties of the network adapter? I'm not very computer literate.

As OVERKILL alluded to, the error you're seeing has nothing to do with the particular websites you're visiting nor does it have anything to do with your web browser. In simplest terms, what's effectively happening is someone is unplugging your "internet" while you're browsing. Chrome won't work, Edge won't work, you won't get emails, Netflix won't work, and so on.
The problem with this though is that as soon as I go back to say Facebook, I access it with no problem. Why does this not happen on my fiancée's computer which is hooked to the same router and internet?

Thanks. I have a dumb question but where do I find the properties of the network adapter? I'm not very computer literate.
Press the "Windows" button on your keyboard and type Network Connections.
You should see "View Network Connections" icon at this point. Click it.
This will bring up a list of all your network adapters. Find your hard wired Ethernet adapter there, right click it and choose "Properties."

Then follow OVERKILL's instructions.

27ujCiV.png

I believe I found my network adapter under device manager. When I click the little arrow next to network adapter, it shows 11 different tabs under it and none of those you mentioned. It has things like Bluetooth Device(personal area network), qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n, WAN miniport ipv6, WAN miniport IP, and other WAN miniport designations.

If I just right click on the network adapter tab without dropping down those other tabs and hit properties, It takes me to a box that says "network adapters" with what looks like two computer monitors next to those words. It doesn't do anything if you click on the words or right click on them.

Maybe I'm not in the right place but I don't see those things you mentioned when I hit properties.

Press the "Windows" button on your keyboard and type Network Connections.
You should see "View Network Connections" icon at this point. Click it.
This will bring up a list of all your network adapters. Find your hard wired Ethernet adapter there, right click it and choose "Properties."

Then follow OVERKILL's instructions.

27ujCiV.png

Thank you. I was able to find and access that.

Ok, I was able to input those new DNS server numbers you gave me and they do show up when I do the ipconfig/all. What now?

Back