CBS News - only 1 of 48 safe car models made in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen.. People are starting to think because their cars are so "safe" with 10 airbags, crumple zones, and seat belts that it means they can drive like fools. And if an accident happens then they think, "no worries my safe car will keep me out of the hospital." People driving one to two car lengths behind each other going 75 mph down the interstate. If something happens... You are in it. Even with very good brake rotors and pads it takes awhile to come to a complete stop from 75 mph. But no worries... "My car has airbags, selt belts and crumple zones even if someone jacks things up and I get in a wreck. I will walk away." Just like in NASCAR.. Drivers without a healthy fear of serious injury to themselves or others can lead to a person making very aggressive moves. Huge difference going down the interstate from a racetrack is that there are no walls between our cars and the trees just off the road. Blunt force sudden stops will kill you WAY faster than barrel rolling 10 times. Energy is dispersed with each contact the car or truck makes. Whereas a blunt force impact places the occupants under massive G forces in extremely high accerlation and deceleration that the human body just cannot tolerate. The cervical spine and brain stem are weak points that give out under extreme loading. I saw a car that hit a good sized pine tree at the exit of Rte 30 and I-64. That tree was flush with the firewall. Person dead on scene/impact. Where was the motor?? Yeah you guess right if you think it went into passenger compartment.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I'm surprised that anyone is foolish enough to follow CBS News in the first place.

Well, I saw this on the CBS Evening News. I got tired of foolishly paying $60 a month for cable. Instead I am now putting an additional $720 a year towards my foolish retirement.

Thanks for referring to me as foolish. I now don't need to see any more of whatever it is that you write.

I actually got a similar email today: link which cites the Associated Press for the link.

Dunno, I barely follow the news. I get most of my world happenings right here, on bitog.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP got pwned!

What does that mean? Is "pwned" a verb?

Shorthand for "pawned" or owned, aka "got shown up". I think it's slang of some sort from twitter or somesuch, where extraneous letters get dropped (like in text messages).

OP got pwned!

So glad to see that you're so easily amused.

Originally Posted By: wemay
"Chrysler's (FCAU) 200 is the only vehicle from a Detroit-based brand to get a Top Safety Pick Plus award."

Does anyone read anymore?
whistle.gif

FCA's HQ is in London; 25 St James’s Street.

CBS did NOT say "made in US"; you added that spin yourself and got busted. Were you agreeing with your topic or were you thinking CBS was blowing smoke?

Of course what in the world the phrase "from a Detroit-based brand" means anyway? If the original article wanted to say No GM or Ford made the list, it could have said that.

I would bet if folks would concentrate more on their driving style, the issue of how safe cars are would be less discussed. What I see every day out here, it is a wonder that even the safest car protects anyone. I have over 5 million documented commercial driving miles and I have never screwed anyone's car up, primarily because I don't do stupid things with vehicles. A long time ago, I took a saying from the Airline Pilots Association and modified it to apply to driving. A superior driver uses superior judgement to avoid situations that will require superior skill.

CBS did NOT say "made in US"; you added that spin yourself and got busted. Were you agreeing with your topic or were you thinking CBS was blowing smoke?

Of course what in the world the phrase "from a Detroit-based brand" means anyway? If the original article wanted to say No GM or Ford made the list, it could have said that.

Vikas-

What I started this thread with was a direct cut and paste. No editing, as you've accused me of doing. Sorry, you lose.

They still haven't corrected it. Here's a direct link AND a screen capture as well, since you think that I'm such a liar. Too bad that you're wrong. What was that juvenile term that you used... pwned?

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/on-the-road-5-of-the-safest-cars/7/

Capture9_zpsgc1i4jvl.jpg

I see the following statement in the url that you provided. I have highlighted it. I am hoping that we are looking at different place in that document,

"Chrysler's (FCAU) 200 is the only vehicle from a Detroit-based brand to get a Top Safety Pick Plus award. "

8TvIaC8.png

Nope. You're in the wrong place... and you're in the wrong place on purpose.

I provided an unedited quote, a direct link, (one more time: http://www.cbsnews.com/media/on-the-road-5-of-the-safest-cars/7/ ) as well as a screen capture, of EXACTLY what I was referring to.

You accused me of being a liar, and even when proven wrong, you still can't own up to it. Typical. Not surprised at all.

Not sure what more I can do.

I am hoping that we are looking at different place in that document,

Yes, you are looking at a different place in the article.

I took the link provided in the original post. Your original post still has the link I have shown in the picture. That is the ONLY link in the original posting and that is what was replied to.

It is obvious that the actual quote did NOT come from the actual link provided but rather from the one level down that page tree.

39vaF9q.png

Last edited:
I took the link provided in the original post. Your original post still has the link I have shown in the picture. That is the ONLY link in the original posting and that is what was replied to.

It is obvious that the actual quote did NOT come from the actual link provided but rather from the one level down that page tree.

You have to scroll through the slideshow to get to the last slide (7) using the "Next" button at the top of the page. Direct link to it is here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/media/on-the-road-5-of-the-safest-cars/7/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back