Cars Spotted Dead on The Roadside

Maybe you need to drive on better roads. Just finished a 1700 mile trip and saw just one, an older Dodge SUV and I don't know if it was really dead, had the hood up and a guy looking at the engine.

I think it depends on how long the state will allow a vehicle to sit on the road. Here in South Carolina it seems like a long time.

A while back an old RV trailer caught fire somehow and burnt up on the side of the interstate. It sat there for at least a week, maybe more. Its was sort of a ways from anywhere so my guess is they needed to figure out who was paying for it to be moved, because it likely cost a lot, and my guess is the owner wasn't coming back for it.

I tend to see a lot of trailers..... I'm not sure what happens, maybe they get a flat and they don't have a spare, or maybe a wheel bearing goes bad, so the trailer gets left behind, perhaps just temporarily. Campers, boats, box trailers..... All of the above.

I've noticed this recently with my hour long drive to work. Quite a number of vehicles on the side of the road.

The first HOT Spring day in New Mexico reveals a lot of dead cars on the side of the interstate. The 80MPH speed and heat take out all the cars with marginal, under inflated tires and/or poor cooling systems.

Maybe 10 years ago I used to see the last of the old Aerostars and Explorers pulled off to the side of the road with a big oil/fluid trail leading to them. Now its pretty random what I see pulled over with the hood up. Some surprisingly newish but no make or model stands out.

I have seen 2 dead Tesla on the side of the road in the last month and we don't have a lot of them around here, one was blocking traffic.
I’ve seen them getting dropped off a flatbed at charging stations more than once.

I’ll go out on a limb here and assume the Toyotas were older than the other vehicles, wear and tear break downs vs engineering malfunctions.

A lot of miles driven, a lot of dead cars. What's that - a broken down car roughly about every 35 miles or so for the duration?

Yowser! o_O

Last edited:
Back